View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2023, 12:32 pm   #15
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Heathkit RF1U Signal Generator

I've initiated a temporary Truce with this Heathkit RF-1U as it was winning, but not in a good way for my mental health!

All pin voltages on V2 were good and a nice sine wave was being displayed on my 'scope from the AF OUT socket. Voltages on pin 1 of V1 were all good on Ranges A-E and voltage on Pin 6 of V1 was good for Range F.

On Pin 2 of V1 all voltages were OK apart from Band B? The display on my DMM for Range B seemed to be cycling up and down, but only on that range? Did everything I could to check and clean the switch wafer and contacts but nothing fixed this problem. Similarly all chassis tags were checked but if this was an issue I would assume that all Bands would be affected?

Moving on, I checked for a signal at the plate of V2B, upstream on both sides of C25 and the input/output of R13. I was getting a 'signal of sorts' as far as the input of R13 but nothing after that - what I mean is that when I toggled between EXT.MOD and INT.MOD.AF.OUT the display on my 'scope did not change. Still getting a sine wave though at the AF OUT socket.

Next move was to by-pass R13 by bridging a wire from C25 directly to the Step Attenuator assembly but still nothing at the RF OUT socket!

So multiple problems in several sections but I don't have the time or energy (or expertise? ) to resolve these so the Heathkit is back in its case, unplugged and underneath the desk for the foreseeable future!

Eagerly anticipating the BVWS Online Auction this Friday 3rd February 2023 where hopefully some suitable test equipment may appear? A Leader SG17A would seem to be a suitable successor to the Heathkit RF-1U?