View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2023, 10:11 am   #1
Markradio
Diode

Unhappy Good finish/dye for decorative cabinet sections Pilot T63

I have inherited quite a sorry Pilot T63 radio. Unfortunately it was used in a workshop in the 80's and treated a little poorly, with much of the finish having come off, or being splatted with white paint/tea/nicotine. It was then stored in the eaves of a loft for about 30 odd years. Other than some slight bowing from being used as a TV stand even before all this (which will just be some of its charm ), all the glass, dial, etc are in good condition though.

Have started sanding it down, but have a question about one of the finishes. There are good pictures on the radio museum:-

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pilot_t63t_6.html.

The top of the set has two dark strips, which match the bars on the speaker grille (which has fabric behind it). However the two stripes are made from a very pale wood, and the bars are a reddish coloured wood (probably exotic?). From their pictures the colour probably matched the plastics on the front.

Can anyone recommend a good way of finishing these sections? I don't think they were originally dyed, as the remaining finish pretty much scraped off in flakes (lots of it was flaking anyway). At present I'm intending to apply some sanding sealer (maybe with grain fill), and then spray lacquer. I had good results this way with another set.

I'm not averse to dying it if appropriate, or set on getting a particularly original finish. I just want to enjoy this old radio, and the project restoring it. If dying it is a good idea, can anyone recommend a dye which the sanding sealer won't lift back out (I tried a Liberon spirit dye once on another project which didn't turn out well).