View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 7:04 pm   #403
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The gadgets are very expensive if you buy them from the manufacturers, but in a lot of cases, you could experiment and make your own much more cheaply. You could do just as well, but you'll lack the cult support.

Whether what you try works or not is your own look-out and subject to your own determination. What you don't get is the warm and fuzzy feeling in the gregarious instinct department.

Overpriced things are open to being undercut.
That was kind of what I was trying to say David, I guess you twigged that much.
In my Younger days I experimented with home made tweaks that cost me nothing more than pocket money sums and a bit of Leisure time. The results were quite educational, and mostly disappointing.
Now I am not saying I didn't get differences with some (and not that much) of my tweakery, but mostly that's all they were, "improvements" are too emotive and subjective for any rational discussion.
Suffice to say I remain a sceptic but try to keep an open mind on things.
And at least when or if someone else tries to convince or persuade me that I really should be using a particular construction of wire or a particular metallurgy etc etc etc, then my own (fortunately inexpensive) empirical findings stand me in good stead and keep both feet firmly planted on the ground.
And here's a thing to ponder and I wonder if it's part of that phenomenon of "Psychoaccoustics", some days I can sit down and the music emanating from the stereo is utterly captivating and immersive and I hear all the little details and other musical clues that put the icing on my auditory cake. Then I can sit down in almost identical conditions, same kit same music, and I'm left feeling flat and cold by it all. So that alone suggests to me that a simple listen just doesn't work. Grim Josef hits it square on with his comment about the music in the listeners head, we all do it and that's why I can listen with pleasure to the old PYE transistor radio when I'm pottering outside just as much as when sitting comfortably with a nice cool beer and some nice music wafting over me indoors.
Just my take on things.

Andy.
bikerhifinut is offline   Reply With Quote