View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2021, 6:02 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Circuit Diagrams sprawling over acres of paper?

Thing is, Chris, years ago, circuit diagrams, like many technical & architectural diagrams, and detailed maps, were hand-drawn on huge drawing boards - A0 size & similar, then reduced during the eventual printing process to A2, A3 & A4(or imperial equivalents), prior to insertion into manuals & handbooks. Some guys at the Hydro-Electric Board's drawing office in Elgin sat at boards approx 4' x 6'. The industrial printing machine could size diagrams down to A4 or up to about 8' x 12'.
I have an original 1940's Cossor 339 factory diagram on yellowed linen - about 3' x 4', but the Manual's version is near enough A4.
A cousin of mine used to be a draughtsman with MANWEB, & I remember him telling me his board was the size of a dining table.
Years ago, when I used to do building plans for folk, I had an A2 drawing board, but a kind chum in the H/E's office in Elgin would print off A3 plans for me which were the size the Council's Building Office wanted. I once did a wiring diagram(Shackelton "Dodo") in the RAF which was reduced from A2 to A3.
So, the simple answer is - most old circuit diagrams were hand drawn with large stencils for all the components we all know so well. Likewise, large lettering & numbering. Then reduced for printing purposes. Then along came CAD & other software which I haven't a clue about. Nowadays, I'm just an old outdated user of Rotring & Uno pens & stencils, and use an A3 Board. But - its a ****** on the old eyes.

Regards, David