View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2021, 3:01 pm   #96
dave cox
Nonode

Default Re: The end of physical media.

I want to 'OWN' media, but I don't count having the right to stream it as OWNING it. This is quite popular now but you are tied to a contract with a vendor that may go out of existence! An addition consideration is that of the 'streaming client' which you will be forced to use and the equipment you will need to own to use that client, and keep it up to date.
Quite by accident (it was free), I found myself owning streaming rights to a 'big screen movie' from one particular streaming vendor. This vendor was taken over by another vendor, and later, that vendor was bought by yet another vendor! And that wasn't the end of it, I think netflix was the 4th owner! The chain of emails, platform logins, transfer details, the different devices needed and new contracts was utterly laughable It was a real dog of a movie so I never watched more than the 1st few minutes in any case, but the potential issues were very clear!
I'm happy to download and store locally, but only if it comes without DRM, in its current forms. Otherwise I will continue to buy CDs and extract the media myself. I imagine quite a lot of my CDs have NEVER been played (but ripped)!

dc

DRM = digital rights management