View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 11:30 pm   #30
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: I found it !. A very sorry looking MK14

One colour for 0-9, one for A-F and a third colour for the command keys.

That's just how I wanted it to be. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with all the caps being the same colour, as they are on the vast majority of keypads of all types, or the command keys being one colour and 0-F being another as they are on yours.

I would still consider redoing all of my key caps even now because at least 4-5 of the letraset legends are noticeably off centre. At the time I just wanted to get on with using it so I didn't do it as patiently as I would now, but the shoddiness of the job my teenage self did irritates me every time I look at it.

And yet, nothing dates a homebrew project to the mid-late seventies the way slightly wonky Letraset lettering does, so if I were to replace that with neater lettering done by my near 60 year old self, I would be destroying part of its authentic history.

The compromise would be to obtain a full replacement set of caps and re-letter them to my current satisfaction, but keep the original caps in a safe place so that the keypad could be restored to its genuine late seventies appearance if I ever felt the need to do that.