View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 8:14 pm   #1
AdrianH
Octode

Default My first foray into Old model TV repairs. Ferguson 991T.

I collected my cheap TV today, a Ferguson 991T.

The cabinet has seen better days, the plywood is separating it's layers so a suggestion of dampness. The corner blocks are also loose, so possibly dropped? It may be easier for me to save the front of the box and remake the top, sides and bottom from new ply, then stain and varnish to get what ever finish I can.

The back and bottom fibreboards are there, but the back is warped, so wondering what to do with it, possibly soak it and then leave it pressed between metal sheets to dry?

The TV cost £20 so I am not expecting a lot from it there are several issues that I can see.
Some are minor, but I think I have a very major issue as well.

Minor issues

1) The Ballast resistor R108, R109, R110 R111 and R112 is like a Christmas tree with other wire-wounds hanging from the terminals as sections have gone. So could do with a replacement, will look at options.

2) A PY82 has gone to air suspect a knock, not an issue I have 3 pulls to try.

3) Missing the line output and efficiency diode EL81 and PY81, but only a few £ to pick up, but why missing?

4) Plenty of wax and Hunts capacitors that will most likely need replacing.

The major, is I think the CRT has gone to air!
I have not confirmed this yet, but there appears to be a crack on the neck of the CRT that is 1/4 the way round. I plan to confirm this tomorrow the only way I can think of, by putting 6.3 Volts on the heater, if it smokes and burns out, it is to air. if it glows the glass is still intact.

Attached are a few pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	myferg1.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	216289Click image for larger version

Name:	myferg2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	216290Click image for larger version

Name:	myferg3.jpg
Views:	345