View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 3:38 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Free Sky Arts channel

For those who may not be aware, the Sky Arts channel will be on Free View [Ch 11] from Thursday 17/9/20 ie free to view [an historic event maybe].
It's listed all week in the current Radio Times but without a channel number until the first transmission on FV.

There's often some vintage content on SA that links in with the Forum. For example there is a new documentary "The Undiscovered Tony Hancock". It just misses the "start up", as it's shown on Wednesday but should appear a week later. Many of this weeks earlier programs are, in fact, already repeated next Thursday and Friday particularly "Hendrix and the Spook", a new Doc about his untimely death. It was [apparently] shown last night but is also listed at 1am Friday [ie Saturday 19/9]

Another new program, shown on Friday at 9pm, features Guy Garvey, from Bury, looking in to the TV Archives re Kate Bush, 1979. I'd often felt that I would perhaps be willing to pay for Sky Arts in a small bundle of channels including SA but their business model has never allowed for that. Now you can't really argue with the price. Check it out Free View fans.

I don't know if it's some sort of a philanthropic gesture [unlikely] or maybe an attempt to outdo the BBC on their Charter requirement to Educate, Entertain and Inform etc. Significantly yet another new offering "Sky Arts Late" 90 minutes begins on Thursday at 10-30 pm. Radio Times seems to think it's Sky throwing down a challenge. Definitely a freebie as far as I'm concerned but perhaps with wider consequences We shall see!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Sep 2020 at 3:44 pm.