View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2019, 3:31 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Linn Ikemi CD player

I've found some photos etc on the interweb. It looks like an expensive custom cylindrical housing with two boards inside it.

One board has mains input, a RIFA timebomb capacitor, rectifier, reservoirs and an automatic bridge/doubler switch with a triac. I assume that's the triac with heatshrink over it. There's a plastic-jacketed TO220 which might be that ST high-voltage regulator, which I suspect powers the control chip(s) There will be two resistors near it to program it's output voltage.

The switcher proper is on the second board. I see two capacitors which look like one side of a half-bridge. Are there two small power mosfets near the big transformer and the two orange capacitors? The control chip is said to be on the underside of this board.

Discussion of faults seem to cover a low temp 85C 47uF electrolytic on the mains input board that gets cooked, and also short-circuit tant reservoirs on the switcher board.

Swapping these might give you a quick stab at getting it going. It's a shame the fancy housing stops airflow, this may be a the basic cause of unreliability.

https://andydoz.blogspot.com/2019/01...ly-repair.html

However, there is mention of a 'slimline brilliant'.

I've found a photo of the outside... this is a conventional rectangular box. Probably a cost reduction exercise. It's lost the fancy housing. Rectancular PCB is cheaper than round. Now 20W PSUs hardly need voltage range switches, automatic or otherwise. A single range PSU can routinely be made to span 80v (Japan on a bad day) to 260v (UK in cheerful times) in one range. So I guess that's one change to make it smaller.

Someone is trying to sell one and wants the best part of 200 quid. It must have the fairy dust intact.

There seems to be a lot of people looking for these things. Are they dropping like flies?

No real information anywhere.

OK Michael, I don't think anyone can do much without photos. And then I expect we'll find it a lot more mainstream than the round one... and likely a lot simpler.

David