Thread: I’m an idiot!
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2022, 12:42 pm   #81
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

Default Re: I’m an idiot!

Many years ago when we moved home just to the south of Leeds I wanted some sort of VHF broadcast aerial. It was an interesting house with the Master Bedroom and En-Suite Bathroom downstairs. Right that'll do for a Visitors Bedroom and my Shack for a while.

The Bedroom had been badly fitted with some home made built in wardrobes by the previous owner which would be a good space to store a whole load of paint tins and other stuff until we got sorted. The plan was to put a dipole inside the wardrobe and drill though the wall directly adjacent to the Receiver and wardrobe in the adjoining room. Simples!! Feeder would only be a few feet long.

Trying to drill through the wall was a problem as the side of the wardrobe wasn't properly attached to the wall and each time I pushed on the drill the side of the wardrobe flexed so I couldn't drill through it. I needed something to stop the side of the wardrobe from flexing. A light-bulb moment occurred to me. I just needed a bit of wood to lever against one of the tins in the wardrobe and a small 4 year old Daughter to hold the lever in place. She was told NOT to let go of the bit of wood.

All was going well until I drilled through the side of the wardrobe then a swooshing sound and liquid squirted out of the hole accompanied by a little voice shouting Dad, Dad.... Ignoring these cries, I jumped up, raced to the kitchen swept everything out of the under sink cupboard to turn the water off then raced up stairs two at a time to turn all the water off from the tanks still with anguished cries from the little one down below. When I came down there was the little one still holding the lever, her pretty dress and tiny specs, now frosted, with the contents of a tin of Spray varnish. I had to strip her off and clean her and her clothes with White spirit. With hindsight I knew there were no heating or other pipes in that part of the house but I just didn't stop to think at the time. We often laugh about it now and she's still fine and in mid 40s..