Old 7th Aug 2022, 12:08 pm   #75
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: I’m an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Out of interest I connected an AVO in series with the fuse to see what current it was drawing.

Surprised that it is as low as 25mA and no obvious sign of a surge at switch on, it is maybe too fast to register on the AVO.

David
In times-past one of my clients had people in over the weekend to do PAT on all their gear, which included a bunch of what were then top-end 21-inch Sun Microsystems monitors. The PAT-people looked at the stickers on the back of these monitors and, seeing that they were rated for 600 Watts, replaced the 13A fuses in the kettle-leads wiuth 3A ones.

After a few days the client was unpleased - monitors were failing at switch-on. The PAT-people had failed to account for the combined effect of a SMPS PSU capaacitor-charging current-inrush *and* the degauss-circuit activating at switch-on. I sent a couple of guys out to the local DiY sheds to buy up every 13A fuse they could find, and paid them triple-time to fit these fuses in every plug.

The PAT-testing company did _not_ get paid for their work!
Admitedly I have failed/replaced 13A fuses with 3/5A in TV's at work, although these were in line PSU's on 22" LED backlit units, so about 12V 3A, so a 13A fuse wasn't correct at all.

I've certainly done the "lead in amps to measure voltage" on mains, luckily it was in a fused 3 way adaptor and turned in remotely.