View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2011, 12:40 am   #24
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Oldest clock radio?

I have quite a collection of clock radios, here are a few of them.
First an Ekco A244 from 1956, and in front of it a Nentone from the late 1970s. The Ekco was bought from a car boot sale last year for £8. All I did was oiled the clock and cleaned the wavechange switch, and it worked! The case is made of a brittle white plastic similar to Bakelite (I think it's called Urea Formaldehyde). The radio uses an AC/DC chassis although the set is marked AC only because of the clock.
The Nentone was found at the dump in 2005, still working but the time set knob had gone missing. I managed to make one out of a piece of plastic spindle. The flip clock mechanism is a little unusual in that the hours, 10 minutes and minutes are on 3 separate rotating cylinders. Most flip clocks have one cylinder for hours and one for minutes, meaning 60 minute cards are needed. The Nentone reduces this number from 60 to 16. I have another couple of clock radios - Harvard Cardinal and PrinzSound DC 10 - where there are no flip cards. The digits are painted onto revolving drums like an old fashioned tape counter. They also have a 'seconds' display.
Thirdly, an Interstate 5670 clock radio with vacuum fluorescent display - yes they did exist. I was given this in 1990 - the person told me the clock worked but the radio didn't. Actually the reverse was true. The clock display lit up but just flickered. The time could not be set and the radio would not turn on. I changed a couple of electrolytic capacitors on the clock PCB and it's been working ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19072011.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	54176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20072011.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	54177