UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

The Philpott 7th Oct 2018 8:12 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

My other half says she spotted an avometer in Doctor Who tonight, amongst a deliberately random assortment of equipment. I then paid attention and spotted a wee megger. Little else of interest, very shouty. Did Tom Baker shout? No. Didn't need to!

Dave

MurphyNut 10th Oct 2018 3:31 am

I watched the recent film "Darkest hour" all about Churchill during the war and was absolutely amazed that not one old radio was shown, there were sequences with people listening to radios but none were actually seen, a missed opportunity I think!

Herald1360 10th Oct 2018 9:31 am

Maybe just one less period prop to worry about getting right!

turretslug 14th Oct 2018 11:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphyNut (Post 1082035)
I watched the recent film "Darkest hour" all about Churchill during the war and was absolutely amazed that not one old radio was shown, there were sequences with people listening to radios but none were actually seen, a missed opportunity I think!

There was one shot where the camera panned slowly across the (backless!) rear of a radio whilst a broadcast was being listened to, showing a number of ostentatiously glowing valves that appeared to be approximately of the period, i.e. in size and envelope shape- I half expected someone here to identify the set!

The third programme of Andrew Marr's Darwin's Dangerous Idea series includes material on James Lovelock (of Gaia hypothesis fame), one archive shot of the latter has a BRT400 in the immediate background.

BillDWVA 29th Oct 2018 8:09 pm

Tape recorder spotting.. on TV

Hi,
Just thought I’d mention; anyone see ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ drama series (set in 1979 apparently) that started on BBC1 last night had a few machines to spot in some scenes?

Bill

radiomarktv 17th Nov 2018 12:09 am

Pye D18T on John Lewis Christmas advert

Just watched John Lewis Christmas advert and spotted a Pye D18T of 1948 next to the piano. Has anyone else seen it?

mark pirate 17th Nov 2018 9:41 am

You are indeed correct, I have two of these excellent little sets ;D
Elton John was born on 25 March 1947, so the set is period correct (for a change).
:beer:
Mark

Paul Stenning 26th Nov 2018 9:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Vision Express advert, Channel 5, 22nd October (watching a recording on my box). Hopefully not already posted...

Looks like an Ultra (1500 chassis) to me as I had a similar set as a kid. At least it’s showing a monochrome picture, looks like it’s added rather than genuine.

Volume control at max and brightness at min, or vice versa.

ms660 26th Nov 2018 10:50 pm

The volume control looks to be set less than half way, the brightness control looks to be set to maximum and the contrast control looks to be set to minimum so far as I can make out.

There might be a 1615 chassis inside.

EDIT: Ultra 6850?

Lawrence.

Guest 26th Nov 2018 10:52 pm

Quote:

Volume control at max and brightness at min
Looks like it, just a little more attention to detail (or using a real set and a real picture) would have made it.

Paul Stenning 26th Nov 2018 11:30 pm

The one I had as a kid was a 1500 hybrid chassis but they could have used similar cabinet with different chassis.

ms660 26th Nov 2018 11:45 pm

This is the chassis I mentioned earlier, the TV in it is the Ferguson version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rseV4SAtw

Lawrence.

electronicskip 27th Nov 2018 8:17 am

Can't make out the names of the two TV's on the opening scene on Rab C. Nesbitt but they look a bit Vega etc etc?
Anyone know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvBf4ElDW0E

dazzlevision 27th Nov 2018 9:55 am

On Sunday evening, Talking Pictures TV showed the 1961 British Transport Films' "Terminus", an early work of film director John Schlesinger. It covered a 24 hour period of the goings on at London Waterloo station. One scene was looking at the lost property office and the first thing to catch my eye was a Bakelite GEC BT1091 sitting on a shelf!

dazzlevision 27th Nov 2018 11:35 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an off-screen photo (never seen so many lost umbrellas!):

HamishBoxer 27th Nov 2018 12:06 pm

Who ever had left the GEC in lost property?

Paul Stenning 27th Nov 2018 12:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1095817)
This is the chassis I mentioned earlier, the TV in it is the Ferguson version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rseV4SAtw

Lawrence.

Yes that looks like it.

ms660 27th Nov 2018 12:40 pm

The only Ultra I can find at the moment that had the 1500 chassis and some appearance similarities to the Ultra 6850 is the Ultra 6823.

Lawrence.

The Philpott 30th Nov 2018 12:29 am

Going back...back in time.. The Sweeney. Episode: 'Contact Breaker'

An Avometer (probably a Model 7 or 40) is used to frame an ex-con. Textronix scopes and other equipment are also seen in a repair workshop.

Dave

The Philpott 12th Dec 2018 1:33 am

2 Attachment(s)
The Flying Squad again- Episode 'Country Boy'