UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

Herald1360 25th May 2014 6:04 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

I guess if it was a vintage film about a then current affair it would have been rather tricky to get anachronisms in! Everything would have to have been in period or earlier unless the Tardis was around somewhere :)

yestertech 26th May 2014 9:32 am

Seems the properties buyer for the new series "Quirke" must be a vintage fan.
This is set in the 1950s with a superb period feel, and several radios and TV's put in an appearance.
It flits between Ireland and Boston USA, but to my eye some of the 'American' sets looked rather British ?
Anyone else catch this ?

Andy

Hybrid tellies 18th Nov 2014 10:57 pm

At the begging of last nights Panarama special a Blue Hacker Soverign RP25 was seen in operation in the doctors house before he went off to the Ebola front line in west Africa with the BBC film crew in tow. If you missed it it's well worth watching on iplayer, it's quite an eye opener.

Nymrod121 19th Jan 2015 8:36 pm

Airmec 201: 'film prop'

As per that pictured in Skywave's posting:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...62&postcount=3

... and as seen in an episode of 'Father Brown' (BBC1 today, 1415-1500, 17' 34" in):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...e-time-machine

Lots of other interesting gear as well e.g. a Smiths 'Sectric' clock (my grandparents had one in their kitchen for many years) - and who's going to be the first to identify the "sit up and beg" table radio?

Best wishes
Guy

greenstar 21st Jul 2016 7:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I've just watched a John Betjamin film on VHS on the town of Clevedon in the early 60's. Retired folk in an hotel, with amongst other genteel things a very nice radio and a TV. Radio looks like a big American type console. Lucky people.

Tractionist 21st Jul 2016 11:20 pm

'Mrs Browns Boys' always features 'her' white KB ...... whereas 'Till death Do Us Part' featured more than one model of the circular Ekco series .................

Mr Moose 21st Jul 2016 11:33 pm

Hello,
The console radio is not American. It is a British RGD probably this one http://www.rgd.org.uk/rgd_exh_pg_702.htm but there are other possibilities http://www.rgd.org.uk/rgd1929_1934.htm
Yours, Richard

MurphyNut 22nd Jul 2016 8:37 am

I've actually had quite a few of my own radios used in TV work as my house is on filming agencies and we get work for period documentaries, Dramas and photo shoots.
Here's a little clip from "Back in time for christmas" you'll briefly see my little bedside Bakelite radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBnWSaulnyo

Martin Bush 22nd Jul 2016 10:46 am

Not sure if these have been mentioned previously in this thread.

I spotted a DAC90/90a in Seven Years in Tibet and an Ekco AD36 in the Victoria Wood programme about Morecambe and Wise.

threeseven 22nd Jul 2016 10:52 am

Nice.
In the comedy sit com, the IT Crowd, there was a shelving unit behind where Moss sat. On it there were a number of vintage items but I particularly noticed the Avo 8. Ok, not a radio or Tv but worth mentioning all the same!

Boom 22nd Jul 2016 8:30 pm

In 'Till death us do part' Alf has an Ekco A22 on the sideboard but in some episodes it is an AD76.

Andrew2 22nd Jul 2016 9:12 pm

If anyone is watching the repeats of Doc Martin, there are a good few old transistor portables to be seen. There's a Grundig (maybe a Yacht Boy) and a Hacker Herald and one or two Bush types. Those are just the ones I can remember.

malvision 23rd Mar 2017 1:03 pm

Can anyone name the tele`s

Classic on the buses the new telly :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmllxjOP42U

Cobaltblue 23rd Mar 2017 9:06 pm

Sapphire and Steel Assignment 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-aDV3CJOhE

Its supposed to be 50 years in the past 1930 and a Philips 930A plays a couple of significant roles but of course the 930A is 1931/32 however as it's such a nice set I forgive the props department :thumbsup:

It first appears in its full glory at 07:57 ish

Later on David McCallum pops a couple of bottles and sticks his fingers in the sockets to open a door :)

Worth watch just for the lovely Joanna Lumley.

Cheers

Mike T

Andrewausfa 23rd Mar 2017 11:31 pm

An RCA AR-88 in Prime Suspect 1973 tonight, even got mentioned by name.

'I've got one of those!' says I, 'You sad git' said the missus.

Andrew

dave walsh 23rd Mar 2017 11:49 pm

Yes that's what I said Andrew only she recognised it as well. One travelled as in the boot of her car from Bury to Sussex ;). The story line [ie SW enthusiast picks up bank robber transmissions] is based on a real case. In fact it was the subject of a documentary [CH4?]. The radio enthusiast was interviewed but he was nothing like the eccentric character they showed to match the steretype]. I think the police investigated but the robbery went ahead!

Dave W

Nickthedentist 24th Mar 2017 9:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrewausfa (Post 930797)
'I've got one of those!' says I, 'You sad git' said the missus.

A lot of that in our house too :-[

Radio Wrangler 24th Mar 2017 9:39 am

Um, I've got two, so.....

It's very unusual for a radio model number to be named, and I'm impressed they got it right!

David

Ekcoman 15th Aug 2017 7:11 pm

Radio Caroline and the Dansette Hifi

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure moderator as to where I should post this thread but been following all things Radio Caroline over the weekend and into yesterday. I noted that in one very scratchy b & w film held by The East Anglia Film Archive of the original ship and crew, a Dansette Hifi is clearly visible in the Record Library. Guess might interest radio enthusiasts too???

McMurdo 15th Aug 2017 11:59 pm

1 Attachment(s)
BBC2's Man in an Orange Shirt (episode 2).

Adam explores his late grandfather's abandoned cottage which is furnished courtesy of the 50's. There's a later TV in the living room.

ms660 16th Aug 2017 8:56 am

What's the model number?

Lawrence.

ms660 16th Aug 2017 5:09 pm

I still can't figure out the TV, the control layout reminds me of a Bush TV135 and the CRT/Mask arrangement remind me of a Bush TV125?

Lawrence.

G6Tanuki 16th Aug 2017 5:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave walsh (Post 930805)
Yes that's what I said Andrew only she recognised it as well. One travelled as in the boot of her car from Bury to Sussex ;). The story line [ie SW enthusiast picks up bank robber transmissions] is based on a real case. In fact it was the subject of a documentary [CH4?]. The radio enthusiast was interviewed but he was nothing like the eccentric character they showed to match the steretype]. I think the police investigated but the robbery went ahead!

Looking back, the events were "The Baker Street Robbery" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_robbery

and there was a movie made of this plotline some years back.

"The Bank Job" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bank_Job

ms660 16th Aug 2017 5:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 968407)
I still can't figure out the TV, the control layout reminds me of a Bush TV135 and the CRT/Mask arrangement remind me of a Bush TV125?

I'm now thinking it's a Murphy V879.

Lawrence.

vidjoman 16th Aug 2017 6:32 pm

I thought of the V849 or V879 but when switched off the Mazda tubes in the Murphy looked slightly blue whereas the Bush versions with a Mullard tube had a slightly greenish hue. So I think this is the Bush version.

Oldgeorge 4th Sep 2017 8:30 pm

I was watching the first episode of "Tenko" yesterday and boy were there some radios featured in it. Some of them of the correct vintage but others were "borderline"!!
The sets were seen in close up as the announcement of the Japanese invasion and bombing got underway in Singapore.

ajs37 15th Oct 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Vintage Radios on TV

Did anybody see Antiques Roadshow today (15/10/2017)? It featured a Pye M78. The owner of a rather nice eau-de-nil model said she bought it for 10p at a market in the 1980s when she was a student!! The expert repeated the old story about enraged WW2 returnees from the far east objecting (and demonstrating apparently, around the country) to the rising sun logo. "1000 were made, 800 were recalled and burnt" - and her radio was worth £1000 - £1500.
Now, I'm not sure I believe all the 'facts' of this story - least of all that there are only 200-300 in circulation nowadays. I have 2 of them, so whilst I would like to believe I have a small fortune invested in my 2, I'm not sure I have (and I'm not really bothered as I won't be selling them!)

Does anybody have any ideas / evidence about the story? Perhaps I should do a straw poll to see how many member of the forum have one of these.
Cheers
Andy

Boater Sam 15th Oct 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Vintage Radios on TV

Saw that. I have seen a couple of these, usually cracked or otherwise not in as good condition.

The rising sun story may have some truth but it is an old cherry, possibly exaggerated.

Station X 16th Oct 2017 8:55 am

There's a thread on these radios here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=65296

ajs37 16th Oct 2017 2:29 pm

Ah - thankyou Graham - missed that thread!
Andy

Hybrid tellies 1st Nov 2017 10:02 am

On the last episode of George Gently I saw a HMV 1376 sitting on a shelf in one of the officer's houses. Looked in nice condition.

McMurdo 13th Nov 2017 8:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
A TV set in a Fanny Cradock Gas Council promo film on 1963. Not sure if it's a real one or a mock up ???

Richard_FM 13th Nov 2017 9:00 pm

I remember there was something on TV a few years ago which was set about the turn of the 1970s.

One of the characters was a teenage girl with a correct for the time TV in her bedroom, something which made my Dad remark her family would have had to be rich to afford, even if it was a small portable set.

Peter.N. 16th Nov 2017 8:11 pm

If you have seen the Waitrose Christmas advert you will notice that the power goes off but they are still roasting a turkey in what looks like an electric oven. In addition the Tan Hill Inn is not on mains electricity, it has a generator in a shipping container to the left of the pub - or at least it did the last time we went, so its unlikely that the power would have gone off and come on again.

Peter

Heatercathodeshort 17th Nov 2017 7:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurdo (Post 991032)
A TV set in a Fanny Cradock Gas Council promo film on 1963. Not sure if it's a real one or a mock up

That could be a Decca DR101 series slightly disguised. John.

ms660 17th Nov 2017 8:03 pm

There's a closer view at 2:12...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdvL6TCX6k

Lawrence.

Boom 17th Nov 2017 9:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurdo (Post 991032)
A TV set in a Fanny Cradock Gas Council promo film on 1963. Not sure if it's a real one or a mock up

I'm sure that is the same set that was propped on The Human Jungle last night on Talking Pictures.

ms660 17th Nov 2017 9:25 pm

The knob skirts have their function on them, for the top two the top one is On/Off/Brilliance next one down is Tuning.

Lawrence.

McMurdo 13th Feb 2018 10:19 pm

No-one's mentioned Back in Time for Tea yet? Another Murphy radio, (forum member?) and later on a Baird TV. All good stuff.

'LIVEWIRE?' 13th Feb 2018 10:35 pm

I've just watched tonight's edition of 'Back in time for Tea', and I'm certain that someone mentioned that Baird in the 1950s had a factory in Yorkshire, so the 14" TV was made locally. It may in reality have been loaned by a forum member.

dave walsh 13th Feb 2018 11:44 pm

I don't want to seem "biased" but this Northern series seems much less precious than previously. The Murphy A92 "Stationmaster" [another pun] was in period, although somewhat advanced for a working class family perhaps,so maybe artistic licence can apply? I've got one on the landing and a better one somewhere else. Apparently the Government used them at the start of the War. I was told officers had them in their troop train carriages, presumably running on a Vibrator Unit or maybe batteries?

I think I've got the same TV but in a different cabinet. Some vintage footage of TV factory work plus the same old Pathe News Train Spotting feature! The "1920's" Kitchen Range seems to be in error. No central fire or side ovens. From a much grander property I would suspect and nothing like the one that my Gran made unbeatable Bread and Butter Pudding in during the late 50's.

Dave

Sussex

McMurdo 14th Feb 2018 1:24 am

5 Attachment(s)
Did anyone recognise the chassis the women were working on?

Sarah said (of 1956) "tellies were being made very close to home. The biggest factory in Europe was Baird's, in Bradford."

There was also a bit about the introduction of ITV; for our northern family, Granada.

Andrew2 14th Feb 2018 1:57 am

That telly in 'Back in time for Tea' had bright pale green knobs. Were they correct or were they changed by the director to give an 'authentic' 50's look?

dave walsh 14th Feb 2018 5:00 pm

Yes it was good to see the footage about Granada getting established. My daughter [27] asked what was the fuss about? I said the the BBC got a shock8-\
My comment re the A92 wasn't just about the quality of the set [and they are nice looking] but the fact that they actually had an RF stage. It was said [I think in Radiophile Mag] that they were used at the beginning of the war until the dedicated communications receivers started to come through and this was what caught my interest. The use by Army Officers was info volunteered by an elderly chap in Milton Keynes selling his 92. It was obviously an "Officer Class" set but that useage may have just been entertainment en-route perhaps?
Either way the possibility that the "Stationmaster" Model travelled on the "permanent way" is a bit ironic in itself.

Dave W

dazzlevision 14th Feb 2018 6:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' (Post 1016868)
I've just watched tonight's edition of 'Back in time for Tea', and I'm certain that someone mentioned that Baird in the 1950s had a factory in Yorkshire, so the 14" TV was made locally.

That factory would have been the Ambassador factory, in Brighouse.

In 1954, Baird Television Ltd, of Lancelot Road, Wembley, Middlesex, amalgamated with the Hartley group of companies and was then known as Hartley-Baird Ltd. The Hartley group included Hartley Electromotives Ltd and Duratube & Wire Ltd.

In 1955, Hartley Baird acquired Ambassador Radio & Television Ltd. Originally set up by R N Fitton and he remained as Managing Director of Ambassador Radio & Television and became a director of the parent company.

Hartley Baird was then taken over by Camp Bird Ltd – a mini conglomerate, of Camp Bird House, 39 Dover Street, London, W1 (by at least 1958 - as seen on a Hartley Baird Ltd letterhead, dated 13th February 1958).

Baird Television looks to have relocated to the Brighouse Works, according to the address shown on some Baird mid-50s service manuals.

Camp Bird went into receivership and the Baird TV manufacturing operation ceased. Radio Rentals acquired the name in 1961 and Baird badged sets were then made in Radio Rentals subsidiary Mains Radio Gramophones Ltd, of Bradford. MRG had factories in Lidget Green (main factory), Windhill and Batley.

As for the claim in the programme that "the Baird TV factory was the largest in Europe", I remain highly sceptical.

Heatercathodeshort 14th Feb 2018 8:36 pm

I think the TV chassis may be the Ferguson 315T series. The last picture rings no bells at all. J.

emeritus 14th Feb 2018 9:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I have never seen any Ambassador product in the flesh, but here are a TV and a Radio flyer from the early 1950's.

AC/HL 14th Feb 2018 10:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlevision (Post 1017093)
As for the claim in the programme that "the Baird TV factory was the largest in Europe", I remain highly sceptical.

I've heard of that claim for the Radio Rentals factory, but not the earlier Ambassador one.

Graham G3ZVT 15th Feb 2018 1:22 am

I was asked to supply a "70s" style TV for Granada's "The Flying Pickets" special in 1983.
I chose this GEC.
https://youtu.be/mCRy4QJrQ4g?t=146

ColinTheAmpMan1 16th Feb 2018 7:51 pm

This may be a bit tenuous, but SWMBO and I watched "The Mercy" a few days ago. In an early scene in Donald Crowhurst's house in Teignmouth, there was a case in the background which reminded me strongly of a Brennell tape recorder. Since the lid was closed, I couldn't be confident, but certainly the catches on the lid and the carry-handle looked familiar....

Another recent film which we saw has lots of electronic contraptions in various backrounds; the film in question being "The Shape of Water", which is set in a research facility in Baltimore which was in some way connected to the Space Race. I will say no more as I might be accused of committing a "spoiler".

Colin.