UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Grundig radiogram cabinet (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196391)

stuart_morgan_64 28th Nov 2022 6:21 pm

Grundig radiogram cabinet

2 Attachment(s)
I need some help and advice. Leak in the workshop roof. Dripped on a radiogram, not mine which makes it worse. Black mould, some other marks too. Watched a few videos re oxalic acid. Some say not suitable on some surfaces. Any help advice please.

It's a Grundig, looks to be plywood.

Many thanks

stevehertz 28th Nov 2022 9:43 pm

Re: Grundig radiogram cabinet

Presumably you're looking for advice/suggestions on how to sort the stain out? That is a very bad stain that seems to go down through the lacquer to the wood beneath. In my opinion the only way you're going to effectively get rid of that stain is to completely refinish the panel. I doubt very much if it's possible to make the stain 'vanish' in any way.

stuart_morgan_64 28th Nov 2022 10:35 pm

I thought that may be the answer. Just hoping it wasn't.

David G4EBT 28th Nov 2022 11:40 pm

As Steve says, there’s no prospect of repairing the damage - the only practical solution will be the total removal of the lacquer and refinishing.

Luckily the veneer wasn’t originally spirit stained - just finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, so when all that has been removed and lightly hand-sanded (I’d suggest 240/360 wet and dry, used dry), the veneer ought not to have any discoloured areas. You need to be careful when sanding - the veneer will only be about 0.5mm thick (or should I say ‘thin’?). It would be kinder to use a cabinet scraper (NOT a paint scraper!) to remove the varnish than to use paint/varnish stripper. You’ll find YouTube videos on how to use and sharpen such scrapers.

Good luck with it Stuart.

stuart_morgan_64 29th Nov 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, looks like my only way forward, I have a small table top radiogram, perhaps I will practice on that one. What would be a suitable finish to use.

I think I lack confidence more than ability

stevehertz 29th Nov 2022 2:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 (Post 1517385)
Thanks for the replies, looks like my only way forward, I have a small table top radiogram, perhaps I will practice on that one. What would be a suitable finish to use.

I think I lack confidence more than ability

The original finish - as David points out - will have been cellulose lacquer, and you can buy it in spray cans. It's not so common as poly based sprays though, so you must look for the word 'cellulose' if you want to go this way. The trouble, or problem is, there will almost certainly have been some staining used to obtain the original finish. You can either apply a proper stain (not coloured lacquer) first and then clear coats of lacquer, or, you can use a coloured lacquer, confusingly sometimes called stains. In terms of the latter, Wilko do a quick drying lacquer for indoor use in a variety of colours and in matt, satin or gloss. If it was me, I would choose this last method, coloured lacquer from Wilko. I have used it on numerous times and found it to apply so much better than the likes of traditional Ronseal that drags on the brush and doesn't self level half so good as Wilko quick drying lacquer.

stuart_morgan_64 29th Nov 2022 2:58 pm

Looks like one way out. Thanks for the comments and advice. I shall buy, order materials and scrapers, have a go on the table top. I assume i would have to obtain a uniform colour otherwise it will end up nice new and patchy. I doubt myself too much.

stevehertz 29th Nov 2022 3:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 (Post 1517408)
Looks like one way out. Thanks for the comments and advice. I shall buy, order materials and scrapers, have a go on the table top. I assume i would have to obtain a uniform colour otherwise it will end up nice new and patchy. I doubt myself too much.

Unfortunately getting a good, uniform finish when using coloured lacquers requires a certain amount of finesse to apply it consistently. But like I say, of all the varnishes and lacquers that I've tried in over 50 years, I've never found one that goes on so smoothly and evenly as the Wilko stuff.

stuart_morgan_64 29th Nov 2022 5:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I will buy some finish as you suggest, some scrapers, I know what sort you are refering to. However I will dig out the table top radiogram that i have which is in poor condition and start on that. Finish seems very much the same.

I shall probarly ask more questions, I hope thats ok, more pictures i dare say too.