UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Record players on record sleeves. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169738)

Kentode 5th Aug 2020 1:28 pm

Record players on record sleeves.

2 Attachment(s)
I'm currently sorting through my record collection, removing for sale the ones I no longer play, to make room for recent additions.

Here are a couple of decks, the first is a B&O possibly the same as in the current AA advert featuring a chilled-out dog.

The second looks like a broadcasting deck but to me that arm looks like Donald Campbell's landspeed car!

Are there any others?

Robert Gribnau 6th Aug 2020 10:38 am

Re: Record players on record sleeves.

A collection can be found here. Some are CD-covers but most of them are album sleeves:

https://musiceureka.wordpress.com/20...y-that-record/

qualityten 6th Aug 2020 11:27 am

Thanks for that interesting question Ken and the link from Robert. For decades records were just part of everyday life and played on every kind of 'player'. Much more about fun and musical enjoyment than audiophilia.

paulsherwin 6th Aug 2020 11:40 am

There is some information on the Nightfly artwork in the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightfly#Artwork. I always wondered why Fagen went to the trouble of creating the visuals of an early 60s radio studio, but only included a single record deck.

Nightfly is a technically interesting album - it was one of the first to be recorded and mixed in the digital domain, and was very bleeding edge in 1982.

Beobloke 6th Aug 2020 1:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentode (Post 1276944)
Here are a couple of decks, the first is a B&O possibly the same as in the current AA advert featuring a chilled-out dog.

Beogram 1202 or 1203 turntable, Beomaster 1100 receiver and possibly Beovox S22 speakers.

I need to get out more, don't I......?

Julesomega 6th Aug 2020 1:56 pm

There's hundreds of 45 sleeves with pictures of record players of all types on 45cat: List ยป Record Players, Gramophones & Jukeboxes

Kentode 6th Aug 2020 2:02 pm

Robert, thanks for the great link. The untitled picture between Ronald & Ruby - Lollipop and Skitch Henderson & his orchestra beggars belief!

Paul, the record was bleeding edge, but the drums are bleeding awful!

Beobloke, the first picture was posted specifically for you, I'm surprised it took you so long.:thumbsup:

Somewhere I've also got a hi-fi test record with a deck on it but at the moment I'm up to my armpits in records and can't find it.

Cross posted with Julian - another great link, thanks.

slidertogrid 6th Aug 2020 3:10 pm

I'm not sure sticking your tongue on the cartridge of a record player is a good idea.. :dunce: Especially as a lot of them had the chassis and thereby one of the connections to the cartridge connected to one side of the mains with either no isolation or a wax capacitor at most...
I know it was just a photo on an album sleeve but kids do copy what they see!

Somewhere I have an album sleeve with various models of Dansette record player featured, product placement I suppose.

ajgriff 6th Aug 2020 4:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentode (Post 1277266)
Somewhere I've also got a hi-fi test record with a deck on it ....

Is this the one?

Alan

ben 6th Aug 2020 4:10 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Peter Sellers
Shirley Bassey
Another Roberto Delgado/Happy South America
V.A. - Hit Sounds in Stereo
Ray Conniff

I don't only listen to lounge music by the way - these are just some really memorable ones! ;) They seem to be in every charity shop in the land too!

Paul_RK 6th Aug 2020 4:13 pm

Quote:

Robert, thanks for the great link. The untitled picture between Ronald & Ruby - Lollipop and Skitch Henderson & his orchestra beggars belief!

Is there something unusual about it? Looks like a standard Deccalian Mk 4 to me ;)

Paul

ben 6th Aug 2020 4:30 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Stones - let it bleed (not sure if that counts!)
Stereolab - TRNBWA - (pastiche of Hi fi Sound test disc)
Some German compilation CDs I picked up cheap
VA: Rock Revival (jukebox!)

Kentode 6th Aug 2020 6:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1277297)
Quote:

Somewhere I've also got a hi-fi test record with a deck on it ....

Is this the one?

Alan

Yep, that's the one, but mine is blue.:thumbsup:

Ekcoman 6th Aug 2020 7:25 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Not forgetting the HMV 2001 on the old Columbia 78 sleeves

slidertogrid 6th Aug 2020 9:26 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidertogrid (Post 1277281)
Somewhere I have an album sleeve with various models of Dansette record player featured, product placement I suppose.

Found it!

fetteler 6th Aug 2020 11:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentode (Post 1276944)
.....t arm looks like Donald Campbell's landspeed car!

I can help you out with the arm but not the turntable I'm afraid. The arm is an Radio Music Corp Para-Flux A-16. Lovely.

Jac 7th Aug 2020 7:05 am

2 Attachment(s)
I can only help you with two more:
a demo disc from Philips for their 209S record player and a demo disk for the Accutrac 4000.

Jac

Kentode 8th Aug 2020 4:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Love that Accutrac 4000! How many buttons does a record player need?;D

Found this inner sleeve from Mercury Record Corporation USA...

barretter 10th Aug 2020 2:11 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Let's go back in time to what preceded the flat disc ; and how many people have an LP with a valve amplifier on the front and valve symbols on the inner sleeve.

TonyDuell 10th Aug 2020 7:03 pm

Is that a real valve amplifier in the second photo? I would have expected a pair of similar power output valves in push-pull.

The valve diagrams in the third photo look to have been taken from the Bernards/Babani valve data books (excellent little books that I refer to a lot)