UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   JVC HR-3300 video recorder (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161886)

Keptboy 3rd Dec 2019 7:37 am

JVC HR-3300 video recorder

Hi I have a fully working JVC video player and wondered if this can or needs to be serviced do belts etc need changing? Can anyone give me info on what to service and is there a servicing kit I can buy
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

mark pirate 3rd Dec 2019 10:02 pm

Re: JVC HR-3300 video recorder

You appear to be very lucky that the machine is fully working, these were the first generation of VHS machines.
They do use quite a few belts, mainly underneath the deck. You maybe lucky enough to find a belt kit, the machine was also re-badged Ferguson and several rental company's also re-badged them.

I would not attempt to change the belts while it is working OK, but worth getting a set if you can.
These were a very good machine, but bear in mind it is over 40 years old, and may not like being disturbed unnecessarily.
:beer:
Mark

davyrocket2 4th Dec 2019 2:32 am

if rewind and fast forward are slow that could be a sign the belts want replacing but if those functions like play work then as mark says its best left alone a indication of condition of how good the videoheads are are is to make a recording ,on this model you can use the rf output from a sky plus box if it has a ariel output you then plug into the videos input and use a spare channel position and use the same number tuning wheel important thing is the tape must first be inserted and the record key pressed down also make sure the small input lever is uppermost and the switch by the ariel is set to tuner you then hold down record and press both record and play at the same time ,when playing back the picture quality should be noise free also use a good or new tape good luck and if advise is required just ask ,it may be old but may have well looked after and had new heads or belts or even very little use regards David

dj_fivos_sak 4th Dec 2019 7:08 am

I have the next model, the 3330. Mine had a bad belt on the top side of the mechanism. That belt drives everything except the head drum which has another belt that goes into a separate motor. Definitely order a belt kit while they are still available. I'm actually surprised the 41-year-old belts still hold up.

Fivos

Keptboy 4th Dec 2019 8:02 am

Hi
Thank you for the replies
Where would I be able to get a belt kit from and is it something I can do myself or is it worth taking it into a repair centre in town

mark pirate 4th Dec 2019 5:25 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Where would I be able to get a belt kit from and is it something I can do myself or is it worth taking it into a repair centre in town
I think that you will be lucky to find a belt kit for this machine, I had trouble finding them for a similar machine a few years back.

There are kits available on ebay for various machines, some give details of diameter & width, so you may end up having to get a few different kits to find a close enough match to fit your machine.

Below is a picture to give you an idea of what is involved in changing belts.
Mark

Keptboy 4th Dec 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you. I have made a mistake, mine rewinds and fast forwards but when the play button is pressed the tape does not turn so I am guessing I will have a belt broken.

The machine just does not take the cassette to the playing head, the playing head spins when play is played

Does anyone repair these as I can send the video to you to repair?

davyrocket2 5th Dec 2019 11:56 am

When it rewinds or fast forwards check to see if the tape counter goes round if not the machine will stop. If it loads but does not take the tape forwards then most likely its' the capstan belt. If the head drum belt falls off due to being stretched then the drum pulses will not arrive on the servo panel causing it to shut down.

mark pirate 5th Dec 2019 7:52 pm

Quote:

Does anyone repair these as I can send the video to you to repair?
It is best to put a request in the relevant section for a repair.
You may find someone close to you to undertake the repair, I would not recommend posting it due to the likelihood of shipping damage.
Mark

Keptboy 5th Dec 2019 10:10 pm

Hi the machine fast forwards and rewinds
The playing head does not spin or non of the parts move when the play button is pressed only a belt and pulley on right hand side and a white round wheel in the middle of the video I can do a you tube link

dj_fivos_sak 6th Dec 2019 12:32 am

You can buy a belt kit from Germany:
https://www.safferthal.de/VR-10-Riemen.html
Hope this helps.

Fivos

Keptboy 6th Dec 2019 10:43 am

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you to everyone who has replied
I have opened underneath and enclosed a pic of the belts
It all looks really nice
If I press play the machine attempts to do something but nothing happens.
If I turn the largest wheel in the pic the machine will then auto carry on and start playing a tape
I did notice that my photo is different to the photo higher in this thread
My big belt wheel has no metal bar fixing on it
Maybe that is a belt tentioner
???
Maybe the belt is wrong
I must say the belts in this machine look new
Maybe they are wrong
Hope someone maybe able to help me more thank you

mark pirate 6th Dec 2019 11:58 am

Quote:

My big belt wheel has no metal bar fixing on it
Maybe that is a belt tentioner
The picture I posted is a Ferguson 3V00, as far as I can remember the deck should be the same.
The metal bar holds the capstan flywheel in place, although it may be held by a circlip above the deck on your machine.
Mark

davyrocket2 6th Dec 2019 2:11 pm

the wheel you refer to is the capstan flywheel and the metal bar which should be across it held in place by two screws ,the long an short belt next to it probaly want replacing and when you turn the machine over there is another belt on the right hand side that also should be replaced

kan_turk 6th Dec 2019 3:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak (Post 1197090)
You can buy a belt kit from Germany:
https://www.safferthal.de/VR-10-Riemen.html

Hi - that site shows belt set as currently unavailable

John

HurtyAC 6th Dec 2019 5:33 pm

Hi, If the tape does not load around the head drum but the head drum starts to spin it is most likely the belt on top of the deck to the right of the tape carriage assembly that is slipping,

Adrian

dj_fivos_sak 10th Dec 2019 9:07 am

Keptboy

Does the cassette light sensor bulb produce an amber glow when the machine is turned on?

Argus25 10th Dec 2019 12:29 pm

Boy, the JVC HR-3300 sure brings back some memories for me.

I was repairing VCR's in the early '80's. Back then they were not household items. Mostly Universities and Schools had them. That was when VHS started to go mainstream though. I worked for the company that had the JVC agency in NZ and I knew this model like the back of my hand.

The thing that impressed me about these machines was the sophistication of the head drum and capstan servo systems. They taught me a great deal about the difficulties of phase and speed control of servo systems.

Suddenly out of the blue, an advertisement appeared in a newspaper that said the major NZ TV service company (left unnamed here) were "experts in repairing VCR's". None of the technicians working for that company had any training with VCR's. The company management just thought it up. So I found myself running a training course on how to repair them a week later.

It would be wise if you were able to find a kit of the soft (rubber) parts to replace where possible. At this age of the machine those will require replacing, especially the loading motor belt.

If you can acquire the original JVC manual, do it, they were extremely well written in that era. You may have to fault find both the mechanism control logic, the servo system and the signal processing circuits, but it will be worth it.