UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   UK NATO Jack Plug connections (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169759)

Alf Fisher 5th Aug 2020 10:04 pm

UK NATO Jack Plug connections

Hi everyone,

I am building an interface box from scratch to connect a desk mike that plugs into a radio transceiver using a UK NATO plug.

I would like to know what the Jack plug connections should be in this case.

The wires I have are: mike high, mike low, PTT , ground.

My concern is that if the set is on, then the unkeyed PTT line will be at +28 volts and I don't want that to connect to the mike insert when inserting or removing the plug.

My thoughts are that the PTT line needs to be on the tip of the jack so it is the last contact to be made when inserting the plug and the first to be broken when removing the plug.

There could be a proper standard for this application so please can anyone advise.

Thanks in advance.

Alf

JohnBHanson 5th Aug 2020 10:47 pm

Re: UK NATO Jack Plug connections

U-174/U (TP-101)
HELICOPTER HEADSET / HELMET PLUG
. This is NOT a NATO plug, it is a NEXUS plug (sometimes referred to as a US NATO plug) and it is not compatible with the UK NATO plug below. TheU-93/A (TP-102)plug is the same mating shaft with a larger back shell for thicker cable. Wiring,
Tip(1) Mic low (2) Ear high (3) Mic high (4) Ear low

PLUG 671
UK or EUROPEAN NATO PLUG
This plug will not mate with the Nexus range, the mating shaft diameter is 0.4mm bigger. This is a Mil spec brass plug, NSN:5935-99-946-6652. Wiring, Tip Mic, Ring 1 Mic, Ring 2 Ear, Ring 3 Ear, (Ring 1 next to tip) Mating socket, Socket 626, NSN:5935-99-949-1940

or
US Nato (silver)
Tip 1 Mic ground
2 Audio +
3 Mic +
4 Audio ground

UK Nato (bronze)
Tip 1 Mic +
2 Mic Ground
3 Audio +
4 Audio ground

PeterRoberts 6th Aug 2020 1:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Alf,

Any reason you need to use a jack plug?

I built an interface for a similar purpose and used a 4-pole connector as used on many amateur radio & CB sets. Both plugs & sockets are readily available and quite cheap too.

Peter

Alf Fisher 8th Aug 2020 8:04 am

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your suggestion. The only reason I have for using the NATO Jack plug is that the desk mike already has it fitted but I'm not happy with the way the contacts are being used as I explained in my initial post. I also have the mating socket.

Thank you to John but your information is for headsets and not microphones with PTT so not what I'm looking for.

I'll probably go with my initial thoughts and re-wire the mike jack plug.

Alf