UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   UK Medium Wave and Long Wave Transmitter Closures. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164115)

SteveCG 21st Feb 2020 3:56 pm

UK Medium Wave and Long Wave Transmitter Closures.

Today I looked on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/works-warnings

and read about these closures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...-wave-services

Skywave 22nd Feb 2020 2:27 pm

Re: Some BBC local radio MW Tx closures

All of which signifies that the days of A.M. broadcasting are numbered. :( And it gives no pleasure whatsoever to make that prediction. >((

Al.

'LIVEWIRE?' 22nd Feb 2020 2:47 pm

Not that this should be taken as a general guide, but, some years ago when BBC Radio Oxford's MW outlet closed, the transmitter, with a frequency change from 1485 to 1197kHz was turned over to Virgin, later Absolute, Radio, and is still on air to this day.

FERNSEH 29th Feb 2020 10:10 pm

According to announcements on BBC Radio Newcastle today the shutdown of the medium wave transmitter is almost imminent. Listeners are advised to use the local FM service or alternatively Freeview, Youview or Sky.
When it happens that'll be the second local MW transmitter to close down.
Last year Hospital station Radio Tyneside on 1575Khz moved to FM on
93.6Mhz wedged between two BBC R4 transmitters.

DFWB.

Stuart R 29th Feb 2020 11:23 pm

BBC Three Counties Radio (Radio Bedfordshire) is running a similar announcement.

It's a bit ironic that as I start my commute home from West London, the only method of reception that comes through clearly is the doomed AM transmission. Can't get any of the other FM alternatives reliably until I'm clear of the London Pirates.

SR

Colourstar 1st Mar 2020 10:44 am

Living near Nottingham I've never been able to find Radio Nottingham on MW, although Radio Derby is generally easy to pick up.

I noticed that recently the announcements going into the news on Radio 2, have been subtly changed to read along the lines of 'On your smart speaker, on-line, on digital and on 88-91 FM, this is Radio 2 from the BBC' - leaving the distinct impression that analogue radio is regarded as the least desirable listening option! This format has also been rolled out to local stations too.

Steve

Aub 1st Mar 2020 12:52 pm

Hope us radio amateurs get given MW 😄

FERNSEH 1st Mar 2020 1:01 pm

And now Radio York on the medium waveband is due to close down. No programming, just an announcement about the transmitter close down and advice how receive the station by other means.
Here in the North-East they are advising listeners to find Radio Newcastle on 95.4Mhz or in the Gateshead area on 105.4Mhz, also on Freeview and DAB.

DFWB.

Nuvistor 1st Mar 2020 1:22 pm

I believe we can expect more closures, next charter 2027.

From “The BBC distribution strategy “ 2018 on receiving the new charter in 2017. Section 30.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthe...n_strategy.pdf

Interesting comment in section 30.
“ 30. The BBC expects that over the course of the Charter period it will continue to deliver value to audiences through broadcast services – which still make up the majority of BBC consumption – while preparing for a future where all content experiences are delivered over the internet. Given the increasing pace of change, the BBC needs to prepare for that future to arrive early in the next Charter period. The transition to internet delivery of BBC services creates opportunities for the BBC to offer richer, more targeted experiences for audiences (see below) and new ways of bringing the nation and communities together, while also avoiding the duplicative costs of broadcast. However, it also comes with additional strategic challenges, above all, ensuring the BBC’s public service mission can still be effectively delivered on new connected platforms.”

Skywave 1st Mar 2020 1:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuvistor (Post 1221545)
From “The BBC distribution strategy “ 2018 on receiving the new charter in 2017. Section 30.

An extract from "Interesting comment in section 30."

“The BBC expects that over the course of the Charter period it will continue to deliver value to audiences through broadcast services . . . preparing for a future where all content experiences are delivered over the internet.

Note the clear & absolute reference: "all content". I deduce from that - by way of its specific exception - that all VHF / FM broadcasts are planned to be terminated.

Al.

Nuvistor 1st Mar 2020 2:01 pm

The distribution document is worth reading, quite a few other gems in it.

Oldcodger 1st Mar 2020 4:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aub (Post 1221535)

Aub- you may be able to help out on this post
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=164211

FERNSEH 1st Mar 2020 5:35 pm

I'm receiving Radio Wales loud and OK it's not so clear considering the distance but at least hearing no warnings of an MW TX switch-off.

DFWB.

Nymrod121 1st Mar 2020 6:48 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCG (Post 1219148)
<snipped>

and read about these closures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...-wave-services

I hope the 'digital content' of future broadcast programme will resolve in a 100% decodable output - unlike the above link as it appeared on my multimedia device just now (screenshot refers) :-)

I doubt that I'll be impressed by the overall outcome ... still, at least the BBC's own/its transmission contractors combined carbon footprint will reduce as a result ... so - "Charter Renewal boxes duly ticked, everyone - doubles all round ... "

Guy

Nuvistor 1st Mar 2020 7:31 pm

Just same display on my phone but ok on tablet.
Not good for an organisation with a stated goal of desiring a mainly internet delivery.

Aub 1st Mar 2020 8:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcodger (Post 1221597)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aub (Post 1221535)

Aub- you may be able to help out on this post
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=164211

That's about 5 miles from where I live. I've never even noticed it, let alone know what it was used for.

Cheers

Aub

Ian - G4JQT 1st Mar 2020 8:44 pm

It might be interesting to know what percentage of vintage radio enthusiasts are not technical, just using them to listen to what ever stations are left, and what percentage restore them to listen to what's left, but also use them to tune in to some home built or bought 'pantry' or low power home transmitter.

There will be a proportion of non-technical collectors who listen to R4, 5Live, Classic Gold, etc. but how many of those bother with the faff of rebroadcasting from FM, DAB, or the internet to continue to enjoy their old sets? Will the owners of those sets put them on a shelf until they get thrown out? The value of vintage radios has fallen as, sadly, collectors die off, collections become available, but many of us remaining collectors already have what we want. Presumably their value will fall even more sharply once there's nothing to listen to.

Will the hobby shrink to the remaining few of us who can be bothered to build or operate a pantry transmitter? How will this affect the BVWS? What has happened in other countries where AM broadcasting has already ceased?

How much did the closure of 405-line TV rip the guts out of vintage TV collecting? That's maybe not quite the same since standards converters are much more expansive than a little MW transmitter, and were unobtainable until the 90s. Maybe interest in vintage TV was minimal prior to the system closing.

Anyway, does our hobby have a 'Plan B'?

turretslug 1st Mar 2020 9:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nymrod121 (Post 1221642)
still, at least the BBC's own/its transmission contractors combined carbon footprint will reduce as a result ... so - "Charter Renewal boxes duly ticked, everyone - doubles all round ... "

I can't help feeling that a great deal of the eco-fluff put out by corporate word-smiths comes under the "lies, damned lies and statistics" category. Much as I'm in favour of treading lightly on the earth, I do wonder if server farms etc. unambiguously represent improved watts/user over radio transmission.

As for phrases like "content experiences", the grisly combination of George Orwell and David Brent sends a shiver down my spine. Did the W1A scriptwriters also pen that document?

Skywave 2nd Mar 2020 12:19 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by turretslug (Post 1221692)
As for phrases like "content experiences", the grisly combination of George Orwell and David Brent sends a shiver down my spine. Did the W1A scriptwriters also pen that document?

Reminds me of this . . . .
Which I believe has its origins in the Canadian Department of Defense.

A.

poppydog 2nd Mar 2020 9:53 pm

BBC Radio Cornwall on MW went on reduced power about 10-15 mins into David White's Golden Hour this morning (and it was 1977>(() so I switched off. A hour or so later when I switched back on there was a message on repeat saying it's closing (announcement date) down.

It's a bit of a pain now as around 90-95 % of my radios are LW/MW only, absolute went a while ago and now Radio Cornwall, there isn't really anything worth listening to on MW anymore:'(

POPPYDOG