UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The East London Rubber Co Catalogue (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182473)

slidertogrid 2nd Aug 2021 11:46 am

The East London Rubber Co Catalogue

5 Attachment(s)
I was gifted this catalogue around 30 years ago. I found it again recently when looking for something else and I wondered if members would be interested in seeing some of the contents . There are many pages covering everything electrical from the mid 1930s from batteries, components. radios, sockets, light fittings and shades you name it!
I will post a selection of pages if there is any interest I will post more. including requests subject to availability!
The first 5 pictures..
Rich.

Cobaltblue 2nd Aug 2021 11:51 am

Re: The East London Rubber Co Catalogue

Hi Rich

Any pictures of Cossor sets?

I am still looking for the elusive model 833 :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike T

chriswood1900 2nd Aug 2021 1:04 pm

Yes please I would like to see some more. By the name I was expecting to just see products made from rubber, clearly they branched out into a stockist of many items.

slidertogrid 2nd Aug 2021 2:14 pm

5 Attachment(s)
These are the Cossor radios and some bell pushes...
:thumbsup:
Rich

Cobaltblue 2nd Aug 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks Rich sadly no 833

Cheers

Mike T

G6Tanuki 2nd Aug 2021 4:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriswood1900 (Post 1394869)
By the name I was expecting to just see products made from rubber, clearly they branched out into a stockist of many items.

Fascinating.... must admit I was expecting to see a tieup with London Rubber Company [makers of Duraplugs].

slidertogrid 2nd Aug 2021 7:48 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Here are five more pictures check the prices of the PX25 and PX4s. A PX4 for well under a pound! The catalogue is 1934/5 so it isn't as cheap as it sounds of course...

:thumbsup: Rich.

dazzlevision 2nd Aug 2021 7:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1394923)
Fascinating.... must admit I was expecting to see a tieup with London Rubber Company [makers of Duraplugs].

I doubt there is/was any connection between Duraplug and with The London Rubber Company?

My researches (made long before this thread was posted):

W W Haffenden Ltd, Richborough Rubber Works, Ramsgate Road, Sandwich, Kent (in 1964). Original maker of “Duraplug” shock resistant plugtops, trailing sockets, etc.
By 1982, Haffenden Richborough Ltd.
Later, part of Caradon MK Electric Ltd. See also MK Electric Ltd (now part of the USA Honeywell company).

I do have a very old Duraplug with Haffenden embossed on it.

G6Tanuki 2nd Aug 2021 8:05 pm

Haffenden - makers of Duraplugs - became part of London Rubber Company in 1971

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._W._Haffenden

dazzlevision 2nd Aug 2021 8:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1394980)
Haffenden - makers of Duraplugs - became part of London Rubber Company in 1971

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._W._Haffenden

I stand corrected.

Herald1360 5th Aug 2021 12:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidertogrid (Post 1394974)
Yes I suppose I should have put radio sets or something similar in the title. As it is it does sound like a marital aids catalogue!
Anyway here is 5 more pictures check the prices of the PX25 and PX4s. A PX4 for well under a pound! The catalogue is 1934/5 so it isn't as cheap as it sounds of course...
:thumbsup:
Rich.

That PX4 would be ~£68 in today's money. Still a "bargain" but not nearly as cheap as in 1970, when you could buy one for 14/- or ~£11 in today's money.......

You could get a PX25 for even less- 12/6 same price as an EF41!

kestrelmusic 6th Aug 2021 9:53 pm

May I respectfully suggest that you scan this and add it to our collection of vintage books and other literature? I did several small books a year or so ago. There is a section somewhere in this forum (only I can't find it - mods please help!?) of vintage literature.

slidertogrid 7th Aug 2021 12:15 am

The pictures so far have been photographs. As far as scanning it, the book is a fragile hardback and flattening it out on the scanner bed enough to close the top of the scanner would probably damage the binding, a couple of pages are beginning to part from the binding. I really don't want to risk making it any worse.
I can continue to photograph the pages a few at a time as time permits if the photos are considered good enough?
Rich