UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Strange radio with no identification. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184867)

MI0DDW N I 18th Oct 2021 3:28 pm

Strange radio with no identification.

2 Attachment(s)
:-):-)can any one help to identify this

Herald1360 18th Oct 2021 4:01 pm

Re: strange radio with no Identification

Valve lineup?

Clear pic of dial with legible station names?

Radio Wrangler 18th Oct 2021 4:04 pm

Listing the valve types might help someone identify it.

It looks a little crude in finish. Maybe some small local manufacturer just getting going?

Station names can help with dating.

David

G6Tanuki 18th Oct 2021 4:24 pm

It looks interesting - 3-gang tuning capacotor and what appears to be a push-pull output stage?

Case and front panel look very amateurish though - could it have once been in a different cabinet [console? radiogram?] and someone's reboxed it as a tabletop?

Edward Huggins 18th Oct 2021 4:59 pm

Seven valves and a 3 gang tuning cap certainly suggests an RF stage, but I can only see a solitary 6V6GT so maybe not PP, unless the other is a 6V6G.

Station X 18th Oct 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Strange radio with no identification.

Did it once have dual speakers?

turretslug 18th Oct 2021 5:17 pm

A few odd things about this set- the speaker's very close to what I assume is a smoothing choke, the rectifier's very close to the tuning gang, surely it would be better at that empty rear RH corner? No IFT's visible (the square metal object is a screen for a signal valve), though the chassis is deep enough to accommodate them underneath! Just one signal valve by the 3-gang capacitor, maybe a band-pass input.

MI0DDW N I 18th Oct 2021 6:40 pm

1 Attachment(s)
valve line up 524G, 6V6GT, 6V6G, 6F6G, 6Q7G 6K7G, one with no name on it think its a 6K7(tests ok on avo as )

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1415264)
It looks interesting - 3-gang tuning capacotor and what appears to be a push-pull output stage?

Case and front panel look very amateurish though - could it have once been in a different cabinet [console? radiogram?] and someone's reboxed it as a tabletop?

yes it looks home made but a lot of the old school classroom radios did???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1415258)
Valve lineup?

Clear pic of dial with legible station names?

attached:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1415282)
Did it once have dual speakers?

not sure the back panel has a socket for ext spkr

getting one irish station on long wave

crackle 18th Oct 2021 7:03 pm

I think Graham was referring to the speaker grille on the right hand end of the radio where there is no speaker just a flapping cloth and gaping hole.
Mike

Herald1360 18th Oct 2021 8:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI0DDW N I (Post 1415304)
valve line up 524G, 6V6GT, 6V6G, 6F6G, 6Q7G 6K7G, one with no name on it think its a 6K7(tests ok on avo as )

Odd!

524G likely 5Z4G. 2 6V6s make sense for P-P output but the 6F6G is an output pentode too??? 6Q7G and 6K7G work as det, 1st AF and IF but another 6K7 is odd, 6K8 would make more sense.

AC/HL 18th Oct 2021 8:07 pm

3 output valves, one seems to be a cuckoo?
Is 524G a typo?

MI0DDW N I 18th Oct 2021 8:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 1415347)
3 output valves, one seems to be a cuckoo?
Is 524G a typo?

5Z4G maybe.

yesnaby 18th Oct 2021 8:26 pm

The dial looks vaguely like a Beethoven.

paulsherwin 18th Oct 2021 8:30 pm

I agree with #4, it's probably the chassis from a console or radiogram put in a homemade cabinet. It may even have started life as a NAAFI 'morale' set. BBC Light but no BBC Third on the tuning scale indicates 1946-7. The cabinet may have been made during the home woodworking boom of the late 50s / early 60s. Several of the valves probably aren't original and may not even be correct.

G8UWM-MildMartin 18th Oct 2021 8:31 pm

Is the 6F6G also a typo and actually a 6F5G?

electrogram 18th Oct 2021 10:25 pm

Barke ? Doesn't the first iteration of the 88 have a similar square screen on one of its valves?

Mr 1936 19th Oct 2021 9:29 am

I agree that the half-moon dial and the pointer boss looks a bit like a Beethoven.

The whole thing has a rather "workmanlike" air, as though it was a small scale production or a skilled one-off using whatever war surplus components were available. Maybe the 3 gang tuning cap was easier to source, and only 2 gangs were used ?

The square screening cans would have been easier to fold up than round cans needing expensive presses.

Hartley118 19th Oct 2021 9:40 pm

Judging by the station wavelengths, it’s pre-1948 Copenhagen agreement.

Martin

Heatercathodeshort 19th Oct 2021 10:06 pm

A puzzler! I think the valve line up should be: 6K7G 6K8G 6K7G 6Q7G 6V6G 6V6G and 5Z4G.
I think the rectifier should be where the infiltrator 6F6 is! There should be another top cap connection to the tuning gang and it may be tucked away. The rectifier squashed up against the tuning gang is madness. Just my guess. John.

G6Tanuki 20th Oct 2021 3:52 pm

Yes I think the valves may be in the wrong places.

The rectifier next to the tuning capacitor could be in the hole where a RF amplifier - something like a 6K7 - should be.. And it would make more sense for the 2 push pull 6v6 to be side by side rather than one each side of the output transformer. Perhaps the 6v6 to the right of the output transformer is in the hole where the rectifier should live??