UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cossor 524 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169761)

HoraceBatchelor 5th Aug 2020 11:23 pm

Cossor 524

Hello, I'm needing help. Just got a Cossor 524. Smashing looking radio imo. But as most unused old radios, it was looking rather tired. But once I'd cleaned it off a !ittle, under all the muck a nice radio appeared. I'm a novice at this pastime so after changing the usual waxy caps, three obvious ones to start with I got a couple of stations on both long and medium waves. Not brilliant, but reception all the same, a bit of a hum, and not a great deal of volume. But for me that's a great result. But sadly it wasn't to last, because the next time I switched it on, nothing other than the slight humming I had at the very beginning is all I had.

I've changed the few hunts caps since, but still nothing, Everything visible seems to be working, valves lighting up, all replacement caps measuring up. But one thing doesn't seem to be doing it's job properly it's the on/off, volume switch. But eventually I can get it to work, powers up but no noise. So I'm a bit lost as what I may have to try next. As I have said, I'm very much a beginner, so any suggestion will be duly noted, thanks.

Cobaltblue 6th Aug 2020 8:14 am

Re: Cossor 524

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Horace is the radio link in place on the rear and the speaker plugged in ?

Make sure the shafts of the controls especially the wave change are properly lubricated the knobs are made of some kind of cheese and break very easily.

Time to break out the multimeter.

Cheers

Mike T

HoraceBatchelor 6th Aug 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks Mike for advice, but as I said earlier the radio was working. But the next time I tried it wasnt. But what I have noticed about the small two pin plug you mentioned. When touching it it does make the speaker respond by upping the volume of a scratchy noise coming from the speaker.
Excuse the very layman terms I may use, I've not yet learned amongst many other things, how to speak tech. Thanks

Gabe001 6th Aug 2020 2:55 pm

If you got the one that was recently for sale on eBay for £20 you did very well

Chris (unitelex) helped me last year. He's in Manchester and his contact details are in the repair services section. He may be able to look at it for you.

Gabriel

Malcolm G6ANZ 6th Aug 2020 3:04 pm

This may be obvious but remember that the on/off switch is on the tone control not the volume. Check that the outer control, volume, is turned up.

music-centre 7th Aug 2020 11:11 am

Are the valve pins clean and valveholders OK?, if moving that two pin plug changes things it would be worth cleaning the pins on it and re-tensioning the contacts of the socket.
Steve.

HoraceBatchelor 7th Aug 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks to all, appreciate any help or suggestion. I'm sure i will have a working radio eventually.

Aubade65 8th Aug 2020 4:26 am

I have a 523A which is basically the same set but in a wooden case and with a magic eye.

These sets use a slider switch connected to the wavechange knob that runs the length of the chassis which not only switches between the bands at the front end but also between AM and FM throughout the IF strip. It may prove worthwhile to give the contacts a good squirt of contact cleaner (with the power off) and to operate the wavechange switch a number of times to clean off any crud on the contacts.

As others have noted the outer knobs are very fragile; I managed to break the volume control on my 523A and had to glue it back together and spray it with gold paint. My set came with a service invoice from the 1960s (less than 10 years old,) when one of the knobs had to be replaced along with output valve which sounds like a bit of creative servicing.

Regards