UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Thorens TD 224 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184726)

Jetsonz 14th Oct 2021 5:58 pm

Thorens TD 224

I've wanted a TD 224 for many years. I have a largeish collection of singles & 78's and thought that this would be the ideal player for them.
I finally found one coincidental with me having some disposable cash. It was sold as 'looks complete, motor works'. I took the plunge.
A couple of afternoons in the shed got it up & running. The major problems were caused by 2 levers unseated from their cam guides. The rest was the usual cleaning & lubrication.
I then had a very happy week watching this magical machine and incidentally listening to 78's & 45's.
Then it suddenly came to a standstill in the middle of a change cycle. Back in the shed it turned out that the top of the camshaft had sheared off - it has done a lot of work over it's 60:years.
I hoped that it would be a straightforward welding job - but would involve a major strip down to get the camshaft and cams out. It took me a few days to build up the nerve to tackle it. Fortunately there is a service manual on The Vinyl Engine. Nervously I stripped it down and took the shaft to a Blacksmith at the Yorkshire Coal Mining Museum. He repaired the broken shaft while I waited - I was very pleased.
I carefully put everything back together and, as expected, nothing worked. The service manual is quite clear - if anything is disturbed you have to work through a set of adjustments and recalibration. Which took about a week.
Thankfully it now works perfectly and I am again enjoying the entertainment.

Radio Wrangler 14th Oct 2021 6:24 pm

Re: Thorens TD 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetsonz (Post 1414145)
took the shaft to a Blacksmith at the Yorkshire Coal Mining Museum. He repaired the broken shaft while I waited

Love it!

David

Jetsonz 14th Oct 2021 6:32 pm

You have to love kit that can be repaired by a Blacksmith. :)

wd40addict 15th Oct 2021 9:57 am

Well done! There are a number of parts on these that are complete unobtainium. How about some pictures?

Jetsonz 15th Oct 2021 12:59 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics. I couldn't get a video to load. Maybe the file was too big?
Please excuse the temporary legs - I need to build a plinth next.

Cobaltblue 15th Oct 2021 2:44 pm

Video is not supported by the forum software.

Cheers

Mike T

Uncle Bulgaria 15th Oct 2021 3:43 pm

That is a very funky object. Well done!

Sundog- 30th Nov 2021 9:50 pm

What a fabulous record deck. The grace of a TD135 with changer functionality.

Beobloke 1st Dec 2021 1:55 pm

Fantastic job!

I've just acquired my second one - the first I bought from a gent on here but never did manage to find a replacement gear cam for the one that had sheared so, in the end, I sold it for spares.

My new one has been in storage for a few years but was allegedly fully working beforehand, so I shall attempt to wake it gently from its slumbers.

Fingers crossed...