UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sony HCD -A 490. Correct position for this assembly? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197796)

vinrads 26th Jan 2023 3:52 pm

Sony HCD -A 490. Correct position for this assembly?

1 Attachment(s)
I have just fitted belts to both decks, one deck worked one way the other door won't open. Can anyone tell me the correct position for the assy shown in picture?

Thanks, Mick.

Kentode 27th Jan 2023 10:57 am

Re: Sony HCD -A 490 help req

Try Manualslib, from page 42 onwards there's lots of exploded diagrams. I can't match your picture to the diagram but you might be able to, Mick.

Hope this helps.

vinrads 27th Jan 2023 11:23 am

Thanks for that Ken that may help ,Mick.

Nickthedentist 27th Jan 2023 11:26 am

The sharp "corners" on that belt path look very wrong to my eyes.

vinrads 27th Jan 2023 11:31 am

Hi Nick that's a clever way of holding the belts in position until you get the two parts of the deck together, then you slide the belt off the pins and onto the pulley, same goes for the flat belt. Mick

Nickthedentist 27th Jan 2023 12:06 pm

Ah! Sorry.

Reminds me of the "hook" on cheap BSR turntable's platters.

vinrads 31st Jan 2023 9:35 am

Update on the Sony, belts fitted now I have a couple of problems the Left deck runs very fast the right deck works but chews tape due to intermittent no take up, any suggestions as what to look for?

Mick.

vinrads 31st Jan 2023 2:39 pm

Re: Sony HCD -A 490. Correct position for this assembly?

I have cured the problem regarding the fast speed it was a split in the connecting ribbon. Still have the no take up on the r/h deck. Mick.

vinrads 1st Feb 2023 8:54 pm

Re: Sony HCD -A 490. Sony HCD -A 490. Correct position for this assembly?

I am now in need of a couple of pinch rollers, can anyone help? This one is testing my sanity.

Mick.

ben 1st Feb 2023 10:58 pm

That is the TCM-190 mech. Run away!!

I made a video on this mech years ago, can't find it now but here's one that my be of use.

The poor take-up rings a bell, but it's been about 8 years since I last worked on one of these. Check the main cam position and its arm. At least you have a working deck to compare it to, so shouldn't be too hard to work out what is wrong.

EDIT: The small cog on the motor tends to crack and not drive the brakes and winding properly, have you checked it?

vinrads 2nd Feb 2023 10:19 am

Thanks Ben, the no take up appears to be caused by two cogs not quite meshing, moving the main cam slightly seems to cure it. I can't see why the cam is not stopping in the correct position, the small cog does have a split I squeezed a split washer over it seems to be OK.

Mick.