UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Crompton 60W bulb (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179120)

Heatercathodeshort 2nd May 2021 12:16 pm

Re: Crompton 60W bulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer (Post 1368762)
I remember those from a bed warmer we had when I was a kid, the warmer was made of pressed sheet metal in a bar of soap type shape, my Mum slipped it under the sheets before I got in bed. This'd be early 70's before central heating.

Andy.

Believe it or not I used to sell them! Belling bed warmer . 'Only use 40W rough service lamp'
Sold them to elderly ladies that didn't like the idea of being fried alive by an electric blanket. The Belling was of course removed before retiring.
Maybe it also reminded them of the ancient version that was filled with hot coals! John.

Heatercathodeshort 2nd May 2021 12:46 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Thinking about it the coloured lacquered fireglow lamp was probably one of the most widely used coloured lamps of the electric fire era, namely the 1950s and 60s.

I pulled this Belling 'Adam' fire, Cat No 743B off the tip many years ago. I believe it's quite a late example of a much older design that remained unchanged for decades.
It still gets used from time to time just to take the cold air off the room.
2 X 60W lamps are used, the heat of which creates a warm air flow that turns the deflector wheels. The patterned glass completes the effect. J.

majoconz 26th May 2021 1:42 am

Quote:

Submarines and indeed surface ships do use red lighting at night, in order to preserve night vision.
...and on our minesweeper way back in the 60'/70's when I was in the RNVR.

agardiner 26th May 2021 8:18 pm

On Air light?

kirstyd 26th May 2021 10:22 pm

My gran used to work as a cleaner at the local ODEON she would bring coloured bulbs like this home .Would they have been used in the concealed lighting perhaps and possibly used with dimmers ? .Some of the bulbs had three prongs on them instead of the usual two

broadgage 26th May 2021 11:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirstyd (Post 1378115)
My gran used to work as a cleaner at the local ODEON she would bring coloured bulbs like this home .Would they have been used in the concealed lighting perhaps and possibly used with dimmers ? .Some of the bulbs had three prongs on them instead of the usual two

Yes quite possibly, cinemas used to have an array of coloured lamps decorating features both in the auditorium and in external signage.

It was common practice to replace all these lamps, working or not, either after a set time, or when a certain percentage had failed.
The used but still working lamps would likely have been a staff perk.

3 pin bayonet caps were used for various special purpose lamps, including 75 volts (railway trains), 160 volt, 80 watt (ballast lamps in series with fluorescent tubes), smaller mercury vapour lamps (shop window lighting), and twin filament lamps (railway signals, operating theatres)

Don't think that I have ever seen a coloured but otherwise standard lamp with a 3 pin cap.