UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Taylor 68A alignment. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=186859)

Andrew B 17th Dec 2021 8:04 pm

Taylor 68A alignment.

Has anyone ever done a calibration of the scale and bands on one of these?
The one I have works perfectly, the only time I have been inside it was to change out the Belling-Lee for a reliable N-type RF connector.
I noticed that the scale is a bit out on some bands, especially the low ones, is it an easy job just to tweak the coils and get the scale to read correctly?

Bazz4CQJ 17th Dec 2021 9:18 pm

Re: Taylor 68A alignment.

The old workshop sig gens were not at all precision instruments, nor did they have particularly fine tuning. In % terms what is a "bit out"? Is this for your 1977kHz project?

B

Bazz4CQJ 17th Dec 2021 9:44 pm

My 68A, set as close as I can to 2000kHz, is actually radiating at 2010kHz, though it is still warming up. I think that's pretty good for that type of sig gen :). As for re-alignment, maintaining the tracking is the key issue and I've not tried it on this unit.

B

Andrew B 18th Dec 2021 11:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ (Post 1433191)
Is this for your 1977kHz project? B

Not really Bazz, I only noticed the offset when I connected up a frequency counter to set 470kHz, a quick tune around showed waverings. Thanks

OldTechFan96 18th Dec 2021 12:52 pm

Calibrating your Taylor should be straightforward. I was able to calibrate my Advance E2 earlier this year with a frequency counter. I'm confident to say that it is more accurate now than when it left the factory.

You'll need to identify which capacitor/coil pair sets each band. Lining up the pointer and dial might be tricky; I have not seen the inside of a Taylor so I can't comment.

If it is anything like my E2 your Taylor might just need a long reach screwdriver to undo the pointer.

Bazz4CQJ 18th Dec 2021 2:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew B (Post 1433281)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ (Post 1433191)
Is this for your 1977kHz project? B

Not really Bazz, I only noticed the offset when I connected up a frequency counter to set 470kHz, a quick tune around showed waverings. Thanks

If, by waverings you mean instability, you might think about switch cleaner first before more involved work.

I left mine on for 3 hours night and it barely moved as it warmed up on 2010kHz. They are a very good old workshop sig-gen. I have been inside, but not to change alignment.

B

Andrew B 18th Dec 2021 6:18 pm

I don't mean fault sort of wavering. I mean between the ranges, 470kHz was 467 on the scale, 1.8mHz was 1.9 on a different scale, same on 3.5mHz was 3.6 on another scale, just little niggles, too perfectionist???