UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sun 4th Dec BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196336)

audiomagpie 26th Nov 2022 11:17 pm

Sun 4th Dec BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett

The final BVWS event of a busy 2022 is the Royal Wootton Bassett swapmeet and auction on Sunday 4th December.

There will be around 30 stalls selling not only sets but all the spares, bits and pieces that you'll need for those dark winter evenings in the workshop! The Bring & Buy stall will be in operation in the side annex for those who wish to bring one or two items to sell.

The usual excellent hot and cold refreshments will be available throughout the day and of course the customary mince pie at the door!

The BVWS table will have good stocks of capacitors, all those old fashioned values and in dimensions that modern suppliers don't stock any more! And De-oxit at lower than on-line prices...

Everyone is welcome to visit, but only BVWS members may participate in the auction. However you might wish to join up on the day which will be possible. Or why not take the opportunity to renew your BVWS membership for 2023 while you are there? Payments by debit/credit cards gladly accepted at the BVWS stall!

Stall holder entry is at 9.30, general entry at 10.00. Auction start sometime between 12.30 and 1.00 (tbc) - there will be around 300 lots, including some extremely interesting and rarely seen items, the auction list will be published a few days beforehand....

See the BVWS website for directions: details.https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

See you there..

murphymad 27th Nov 2022 4:23 pm

Re: Sun 4th Dec BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett

Hello everyone,

Just ONE WEEK to go !

I am busy setting up for the auction and trying to get enough outdoor light to take the photographs.

There will be a wide selection of goods from 1920's Crystal sets and Ediswan and Sterling receivers. Lots of 1930's sets for restoration or a good source of parts. Plenty of 1940's and 50's Bakelite radios and a large selections of 405 Line and dual standard TV's to boot.
Plenty of trays of valves both new and used plus a good selection of workshop test equipment and components. Something for everyone I hope.

Stall bookings for the hall are now completely full and I am putting people out in the annex alongside the Bring & Buy stall.

All Stall holder and entry ticket bookings have been sent out so lets hope for no Royal Mail strikes.

I hope to be able to send the auction catalogue and pictures to Paul Stenning on Wednesday evening so do keep a look out for them.

Have a great week and I hope to see everyone there next Sunday.

Mike...

Trifocaltrev 27th Nov 2022 4:29 pm

I am looking forward to a great day as usual, I hope to meet up with everyone there as usual.

Many thanks Mike and team for doing your usual outstanding auction photographs and catalogue I look for ward to perusing it in due course!

See you all on Sunday.

Regards
Trevor.

Hybrid tellies 28th Nov 2022 11:00 am

Unable to buy much due to space restrictions but hopefully will meet up with everyone and follow the auction.

Paul Stenning 28th Nov 2022 1:20 pm

I'm looking forward to this, and will hopefully be well enough to help on stage with the auction this time. I'm not buying much either (although that plan could change on the day!) and have four lots in the auction as part of clearing space.

murphymad 29th Nov 2022 7:00 pm

Correction to the opening post:

Stall holder entry is 9:00am

General entry is 9:30am

Auction start is 12:30pm

Mike...

murphymad 30th Nov 2022 9:18 pm

Quick update:

Photo's and catalogue will be sent to Paul tomorrow morning now.

Mike...

murphymad 1st Dec 2022 2:45 pm

Auction catalogue and pictures now sent off to Paul so he will make them available on the BVWS website and social media as soon as he is able.

Mike...

Paul Stenning 1st Dec 2022 3:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The photos and catalogue are now on the BVWS website here https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/pho...ootton-bassett

The catalogue is also attached.

high_vacuum_house 1st Dec 2022 9:37 pm

I think lot 246 is missing some nuts and bird seed !!

Christopher Capener

wireless_john 2nd Dec 2022 11:09 am

I had to look twice at that! I'll be going this year. Looking forward to it.

John

Paul Stenning 4th Dec 2022 9:16 pm

A great day at RWB today. Very busy which was good to see, I haven’t seen it like that for several years.

Of course my plan of not buying anything didn’t happen, I bought a plastic cased Stella MW/LW valve radio (apparently working), a nice Roberts R22, a set of traditional Christmas lights (proper bulbs not LEDs) and a tin of Deoxit. But I also sold 4 boxes of stuff in the auction.

Hybrid tellies 5th Dec 2022 12:02 am

Abig thank you to all the team. I had a great day at RWB today. Meeting up and chatting and enjoying a few cups of coffee and a delicious bacon roll. I enjoyed the auction but didn’t buy anything from the auction. Instead bought some normal incandescent light bulbs and a signal generator from the stalls.

Radio Wrangler 5th Dec 2022 3:51 am

Deoxit doesn't seem to be postable, so we in the frozen wastelands of the North have to make do with the local mixture of 50:50 Laphroaig and Baker's fluid. Would it be possible to arrange supplies to the occasional get-together up here?

David

Craig Sawyers 5th Dec 2022 8:29 am

Deoxit is indeed postable, David. Any UK supplier of the stuff will send it anywhere in the UK.

Craig

cathoderay57 5th Dec 2022 9:54 am

Excellent day. Thanks to all! Jerry

Pamphonica 5th Dec 2022 11:57 am

What a truly excellent day at Royal Wootton Bassett! The crowds and buzz were so welcome after these last few dreadful years, and it was wonderful to see so many old friends in such fine form.

Major thanks are due as usual to Mike, Jim and the gang for organising and managing the event in such style, and of course for the very welcome mince pies.

I managed to sell a lot of surplus items, many for funds for BTTT, and passed over various pre-bought items to a number of UKVRR folk.

And it was an amazing day for Pamphonic purchases. After many years of drought of Pam items, I ended up with THREE! A tiny TB90 table transistor for £1, shabby but with a much better cabinet than my current one, and the correct knobs. Then Greg (Audiomagpie) passed on a lovely condition Pam transistor table set, spotted recently for me by Mike Barker. I thought it was the same as an existing one I have (TB77), but was delighted to find it was the much rarer export version (TX160) with all the short wave bands. And finally, I filled another gap in my collection at the auction. Just £10 bought me a smart Model 965 valve table set. My cup ranneth over! I just need a bit more shelf display space now, and some time to get the sets checked out and working.

-Jeremy

Valvepower 5th Dec 2022 3:58 pm

Hello,

Well, that was A Grand Day Out… Thanks to the good folk of the BVWS including Mike and Jim for another cracking Swapmeet.

We’ll I’ve learnt something, I can’t sit on my hands that well :)

Bagged a Braun 100 B/54 in need of some TLC, and a wave band switch! Oh well, on the lookout for another one of these now! Bagged the Standard Ruby and the Ingelen radios in the auction. The Ingelen goes nicely with a similar Short Wave Phillips set of the same period. The Micronic Ruby is easy to get past SWMBO, as long as she doesn’t ask how much it was ;)

Whist in the queue to pay-up for auction, a kind stall holder offered me another Standard Ruby, this being the SR-G430 model. Oh well, best get up to speed with these kiddies as I now have two!

Bizarre thing of the day was the entrails of a homemade amplifier using two Z30 Sinclair power amp modules!

The Wife says I’ve been out gathering bits and pieces to take back to the workshop for my winter hibernation.

Terry

Paul Stenning 5th Dec 2022 4:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valvepower (Post 1518920)
The Wife says I’ve been out gathering bits and pieces to take back to the workshop for my winter hibernation.

She's probably right, and I think a lot of people were doing the same thing.

With everything else going on, at-home winter hobbies are a good plan. The auction and stalls were a great source of potential projects.

Boulevardier 6th Dec 2022 4:48 am

Thanks to all involved for an excellent meeting - and especially to Jerry ('cathoderay57') for coming out of his way to pick me up and return me home (I'm a non-driver). Encouraging to see the numbers attending returned to pre-Covid times.
Didn't buy very much - just a few odds and ends for stock. But I did score well in one respect - I've been wanting for some time to get a hefty soldering iron for those big "chassis" jobs (like unsoldering and resoldering braided chassis connections on tuning capacitors). I bought a very neat Weller 85W and a larger wooden-handled Solon 65W for the princely sum of £1 each! They were sold as not tested and "as seen", but I've already tried the Weller (which still had a mains plug fitted), and it works a treat. Very satisfying!
Thanks again to everyone (including the excellent caterers), and am already looking forward to the summer event.

Mike