UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   BVWS Spring Bulletin (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165295)

60 oldjohn 1st Apr 2020 11:23 am

BVWS Spring Bulletin

Mine arrived this morning with my membership card inside the first page. Have not had time to look inside yet. Welcome reading for anyone with enforced time on their hands. Thank you to all involved in the production in any way.

John.

Dave Moll 1st Apr 2020 11:28 am

Re: Spring Bulletin

I couldn't resist doing a bit of reading over breakfast this morning - much appreciated at the present time.

Guest 1st Apr 2020 12:27 pm

Re: BVWS Spring Bulletin

I was wondering when the next one would arrive, most welcomed in these days. I wait in anticipation.

BTW and OT, on my daily exercise walk yesterday I saw our postman, said to him "You are doing a wonderful job, thank you. I am at xxxx just leave post on the doorstep and ring the bell", he smiled and said "Thank you, will do".
Every little helps.

HamishBoxer 1st Apr 2020 4:44 pm

Just got mine but I thought I had a book review in it on the Brownie radio Co,so not sure what has happened as yet.
All excellent as normal thank you.

Guest 2nd Apr 2020 2:18 pm

Good old postie just delivered mine, another corking read (saving for later). What paper are the ads. printed on, I keep it for jottings and thoughts, lovely to write on with my disposable fountain pen (they are really quite good and cheaper per cc of ink than cartridges).

Paul Stenning 2nd Apr 2020 4:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishBoxer (Post 1230478)
Just got mine but I thought I had a book review in it on the Brownie radio Co,so not sure what has happened as yet.
All excellent as normal thank you.

Perhaps email Alex (Bulletin Editor) to check if he has received it OK and ask when it will be included?

HamishBoxer 2nd Apr 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks Paul,I have already been in contact with Alex and also sent off the Summer edition pictures from the AGM.

All is well on the Western Front again!Now need to finish reviewing another book on Bletchley Park containing previously unpublished information.

Reelman 2nd Apr 2020 4:40 pm

Can’t wait but despite being in the same county as John no sign of my copy.
Peter

Paul Stenning 2nd Apr 2020 5:02 pm

Mine arrived this morning.

Make sure you retrieve your membership card before recycling the envelope.

Two of the inserts are obviously redundant now because Golborne and the museum table top sale (both in April) are not going ahead.

60 oldjohn 2nd Apr 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Peter, lets hope it arrives tomorrow. Strange how delivery times vary across the county let alone the country.

John.

nutteronthebus 2nd Apr 2020 6:04 pm

My copy arrived this morning but is in quarantine as the virus can live on paper for up to 1 day

AC/HL 2nd Apr 2020 7:23 pm

Mine today too, presumably the postal system rightly has higher priorities for the time being. We have a post box down by the gate, so no contact. Parcels are left by the door and the bell rung. Hand washing is the final frontier as with all other interfaces.

audiomagpie 2nd Apr 2020 8:32 pm

Mine hasn't arrived yet either but they were all picked up from the printers by Royal Mail in one go. Obviously the Post Office are having operational problems too with the current situation, hopefully they will arrive within the next day or two...

Dave Moll 2nd Apr 2020 9:23 pm

It makes a change for me to be one of the first to receive mine in the backwaters of West Cumbria.

David G4EBT 2nd Apr 2020 9:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn (Post 1230800)
Hi Peter, lets hope it arrives tomorrow. Strange how delivery times vary across the county let alone the country.

John.

Mine arrived yesterday - excellent, as always.

Luckily, I didn’t chuck my membership card out with the envelope!

kalee20 3rd Apr 2020 11:45 am

Mine arrived this morning- just in time for coffee!

Usual excellent layout by Alex - and the content this time will be particularly appealing, starting with the push-pull article by Stef!

Dave Moll 3rd Apr 2020 11:50 am

Yes, I've just finished the push-pull article. I think I now just about understand the concept. I found the analogy with pedalling a bicycle particularly helpful in understanding the difference between standard push-pull and quiescent push-pull (or should that be push-push?)

TonyDuell 3rd Apr 2020 12:46 pm

I'm not a member of the BVWS so obviously I've not read the Bulletin, but I seem to remember a similar analogy (Push-Pull and quiescent push-pull, the latter involving having your feet strapped to the pedals) in an old book on radio I have. I _think_ it was 'The Manual of Modern Radio' by John Scott-Taggart, but I would have to check.

Dave Moll 3rd Apr 2020 4:01 pm

Yes, that is exactly the reference included in the article.

1100 man 3rd Apr 2020 9:49 pm

Have just had a quick flick through (as I always do), in the hope that there might be some TV related articles. Just as I was about to despair, along comes Matt Spanner with what looks to be an excellent article on a TV22- so thanks Matt! :thumbsup:
I have to say that Alex does a great job and there is always an interesting mix of stuff to read- even if it's not TV related! :)

Cheers
Nick