UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

Graham G3ZVT 7th Feb 2021 9:54 pm

Re: Old TV on TPTV.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FERNSEH (Post 1339254)
Spotted this old TV set in the 1963 film Calculated Risk.
This set was old even then. The set was made by a well known manufacturer.

DFWB.

Found the film on Youtube and watched it.
When the set is moved (and replaced with a 200 series telephone) no attempt is made to disconnect the supply and aerial cables, but fortunately the props dep't had rigged them to fall away.

Attachment 226229

Better still though were the cordless drills that could drill into concrete for "24 hours without recharging", we haven't got those in 2021!

FERNSEH 9th Feb 2021 12:46 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

1 Attachment(s)
From episode 2 of the 6th Avengers series another TV set.
Dual standard model. I think it is a Decca.

DFWB.

Mike-repairman 6th Apr 2021 1:24 pm

Did anyone see the Save and Remade program yesterday, Monday 5th?

A complete 1950's Pye Black Box vandalised to make a hideous looking wall mounted wine rack.

My wife wondered at the "Oh no, you can't do that' which echoed around the living room.

It was apparently working except for the end of the cartridge turn over paddle that had broken off according to the owner.

Had they no idea that this model is collectable and fetch £80-£150 on ebay? Even the bits they probably binned, a working BSR Monarch deck and valve amp would have been worth £60+.

Sad day; RIP that Pye Black Box. >((

Luckily mine will not go that way; I have a son who appreciates the value of these items, and when I'm gone it will be found a good home. :)

Andrew2 23rd May 2021 10:38 pm

There was a pair of 19 sets in The Champions episode 'The Fanatics' shown on TPTV tonight. The ep is available on YT, but there isn't a decent shot of them.
There is also a walkie-talkie in use by the villains early on, but all identification marks have been obscured.

ms660 24th May 2021 10:31 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 653071)
I don't normally take much notice, but on BBC4 last night, on a programme about the 60s, an elderly "Rocker" was playing a bass guitar through an equally elderly Murphy Baffle.

Mo Foster ?

Lawrence.

MurphyNut 24th May 2021 11:39 am

Just watched a Poirot "The Affair at the Victory Ball" wonderful views inside and out of broadcasting house. An Ekco AC74 getting a lot of shots and I even spotted a Murphy Radiogram!

G6Tanuki 27th Jun 2021 9:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just spotted this: in the trailer for the really-rather-good 1969 movie "The Man Who Haunted Himself" featuring Roger Moore.

Is this a first-series [405-line-only] Perdio Portarama?

saddlestone-man 29th Jun 2021 11:48 am

Hello All

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this one, but how about the DAC90 lookalike in the Buggles 'Video Killed the Radio Star' at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r-tXRLazs

A great song and great video!

The radio would have been around in the year mentioned in the lyrics:

"I heard you on my wireless back in '52
Lying awake, intent at tuning in on you
If I was young, it didn't stop you coming through".

best regards ... Stef

Restoration73 29th Jun 2021 12:30 pm

I did not recognise the multiband radio (Zenith ?) that was liberated from the deserted
radio & tv shop, but the telly was a Bush TV125U in "The Earth Dies Screaming" that
was shown the other day.

ms660 29th Jun 2021 12:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restoration73 (Post 1386363)
I did not recognise the multiband radio (Zenith ?) that was liberated from the deserted
radio & tv shop, but the telly was a Bush TV125U in "The Earth Dies Screaming" that
was shown the other day.

Zenith Transoceanic Royal 1000:

https://webspace.science.uu.nl/~tel0...ts/Zen1000.htm

Lawrence.

dragonser 5th Sep 2021 7:43 pm

Seen on Antiques Road trip, a Perdio Portarama.

Hi,
just seen an episode of Antiques Road trip on Really ( channel 17 ) freeview.
they had a visit to the electricity Museum.
there were various old radios on display, but also a Dual Standard Perdio Portarama TV in nice condition...
it may be season five Episode 7

Steve G4WCS 5th Sep 2021 9:17 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of vigil screenshots

Tom_I 15th Sep 2021 9:38 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Did anyone spot this in the latest episode of "Endeavour", broadcast on Sunday 12 September?

The Master of an Oxford college is seen several times using this cassette machine for dictating letters. You get a good view of it, and the logos say "Bonita Auto 500E Scribematic".

I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know if it's genuine, or a made-up prop? The mechanism seems to work, as the cassette is seen moving.

Restoration73 15th Sep 2021 10:31 pm

Bush TV22 (static display) in shot in TPTV's "Footage Detectives" - mentioned as the
actual programme content is not an anachronism !

ms660 16th Sep 2021 11:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_I (Post 1406961)
Did anyone spot this in the latest episode of "Endeavour", broadcast on Sunday 12 September?

The Master of an Oxford college is seen several times using this cassette machine for dictating letters. You get a good view of it, and the logos say "Bonita Auto 500E Scribematic".

I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know if it's genuine, or a made-up prop? The mechanism seems to work, as the cassette is seen moving.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_c200.html

Or similar ?

Lawrence.

Tom_I 16th Sep 2021 11:31 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well, to answer my own question from a couple of posts back, it looks like the Bonita Scribematic cassette recorder from "Endeavour" is a Grundig C200 that has been disgused. I wonder why they went to the effort?

Maybe there's a joke or allusion in the name that has escaped me. There are a number of such things in these Endeavour episodes. This particular one involved a clothing company called Fenner Fashions - a clear reference to the 60s/70s sitcom "The Rag Trade" with Peter Jones as Harold Fenner.

Tom_I 16th Sep 2021 11:33 am

Oops, we crossed. Yes, as you can see, I've come to the same conclusion.

G4YVM David 23rd Oct 2021 5:19 pm

Vintage on telly

Been watching The Watch recently and in one scene a certain lady brigs out a mchine for detecting something spooky. Tiz an old Avo with blue lights shining out of the glass panel. Looks fab, looks like an avo!

Guest 23rd Oct 2021 5:34 pm

Re: Vintage on telly

The curse of the blue LED!

factory 23rd Oct 2021 7:57 pm

Re: Vintage on telly

Yes I remember seeing that, but can't remember it actually being used to detect anything. :shrug:

David