UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

Mike-repairman 15th Jul 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

That was common when I was a lad, wall sockets were a lot rarer.
You could get a Y bayonet adapter to plug into the light socket so you have the lamp in and a spare socket for appliances.
We never thought of the danger of electricity in those days and 3 pin sockets with an earth connection only came along later.
Oh dear; showing my age.

Richard_FM 7th Aug 2019 10:45 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of TV's I spotted on Some Mother's De Ave Em.

The first looks like an Indeset, probably chose to fit in with the house of the future.

The second is a Baird using a Thorn 1500 chassis going by the controls, so probably somewhere in the 88xx range.

Richard_FM 18th Aug 2019 1:17 pm

Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

In Passport To Pimlico there are quite a few period radios on display, along with some spoofs of Home Service announcements.

No televisions to be seen but quite a few Band I aerials in view.

Richard_FM 19th Aug 2019 11:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_FM (Post 1166743)
The second is a Baird using a Thorn 1500 chassis going by the controls, so probably somewhere in the 88xx range.

I'm fairly sure this is an 8807, but can't find another picture to compare.

The nearest I could find is a DER 5807, with the controls in the same place.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/wp-conte...08/derbw-2.jpg

Richard_FM 3rd Oct 2019 3:56 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Three snapshots from Yes Prime Minister, the first & third are Pyes, possibly the same model (& indeed the same set, but used in different episodes), the second seemed to be an ITT.

Mike-repairman 3rd Oct 2019 5:39 pm

Think the 1st and 3rd would be a Dynatron, renowned for their expensive up market cabinets.

ms660 3rd Oct 2019 5:55 pm

The middle one's definitely an ITT, used to service them before I quit the TV servicing game....I've fully recovered now.

Lawrence.

slidertogrid 3rd Oct 2019 6:02 pm

The set in the first and last pictures is a PYE fitted into one of those posh cabinets that furniture shops sold. The clue is that you can see through it at the top. I can almost read the PYE logo on the front which is why I knew it wasn't a Philips version. K40 or KT4 depending on the screen size...

Red to black 3rd Oct 2019 10:00 pm

The middle one was badged/labelled on the front as 'ITT trimline' cannot remember the model number or the chassis, might have been CV 1100 series ?, we sold a few ex-rental versions as "cheapies".

1 and 3 look like K40/KT4 chassis, or maybe a K35, PYE versions of course.

Welsh Anorak 4th Oct 2019 11:24 am

The film 'Judy' has a Thorn 1591 (14" version) on a shelf, but not working.

Heatercathodeshort 13th Oct 2019 5:36 pm

HMV 904/5 featured in film 'Here Comes the Sun.

This afternoon did anyone watch the film 'Here Comes the Sun' with Budd Flanagan and Chesney Allen. It was made in 1946 and showed in close up a 1938 EMI 904/5 television/radio.
I have never actually seen a pre war television in a period film. They turned on the radio, great shots. John.

Panrock 13th Oct 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks for this John. I see this film is next repeated on Talking Pictures TV on Fri 18th October at 6:00 am. I'll be sure to set my recorder!

Steve

Richard_FM 13th Oct 2019 10:58 pm

Talking pictures often shows some great period pieces.

The Six-Five Special film has a "portable" valve radio & some good shots of studio equipment, but no actual TVs.

G8vsjDave 14th Oct 2019 11:29 am

Way back in the late 60's I watched an episode of ‘The Saint’ where a pair of Sinclair Micro 6’s were being ‘used’ as Walkie-talkies, IIRC with a world wide range.
Dave

Richard_FM 14th Oct 2019 12:53 pm

I've heard about that episode, but not seen it.

greenstar 15th Oct 2019 8:47 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Probably doesn't qualify as a vintage radio, but it does look interesting ... in the final Harry Potter film I'm just watching again.

Herald1360 15th Oct 2019 9:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8vsjDave (Post 1183666)
Way back in the late 60's I watched an episode of ‘The Saint’ where a pair of Sinclair Micro 6’s were being ‘used’ as Walkie-talkies, IIRC with a world wide range.
Dave

Wasn't that "The Avengers" rather than "The Saint"? ISTR they were the later Micromatic model.

Panrock 18th Oct 2019 8:54 am

Re: HMV 904/5 featured in film 'Here Comes the Sun.

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1183520)
This afternoon did anyone watch the film 'Here Comes the Sun' with Budd Flanagan and Chesney Allen. It was made in 1946 and showed in close up a 1938 EMI 904/5 television/radio.
I have never actually seen a pre war television in a period film. They turned on the radio, great shots. John.

They were indeed great shots, and we were treated to a lengthy scene where the television could be spotted. The television/radio is a 7-inch HMV or Marconi and shown adorning a very upmarket room.

Here are some screen grabs, including one from the film of a wireless. Although the film is billed everywhere as dating from 1946, the opening credits state 1945. So maybe this set was actually filmed right at the end of the war.

Which control knob is Bud Flanagan operating?

Steve

beery 18th Oct 2019 9:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1184616)
The television/radio is a 7-inch HMV or Marconi...
Steve

Hi Steve,
the curved rather than stepped cabinet top indicates it is a Marconi 707.
Great screen grabs by the way :)

Cheers
Andy

Radio Wrangler 18th Oct 2019 1:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1184616)
Which control knob is Bud Flanagan operating?

Just tuning around, looking for that week's 'Underneath the Archers'

David (running away, quickly)