UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sun mea 1500 sl (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192460)

logicaluk 2nd Jul 2022 9:54 pm

Sun mea 1500 sl

2 Attachment(s)
It's definitely workshop equipment, just a different kind of workshop.

I've wanted one of these for a long time, who wouldn't a mate bought it I happened to say if you ever decide to sell it call me.

When he bought it, both green screen CRTs worked when he got it home only one was working, the right side which the computer reads out on, so he sourced a standards' converter to take the MDA to VGA, and shortly after found a smaller older version he really wanted and contacted me.

My first reaction is to fix the Zenith ds12pf3 CRT chassis, but having seen it working on an LCD it got me thinking, I've got a VGA switch in a box of bits I was about to throw out, (I know it made me shudder too, but I need the space and I can't keep everything (so I've been told)), If I could find an LCD monitor that could be mounted inside the cabinet, there would be plenty of space for a mini PC, which when I get the internet out to the workshop could prove to be a very useful tool with all the workshop manuals etc on it.

I have the original paper manual as well as a PDF copy, but does anyone have a service manual for it?
Some of the gas analyser functions are calling for calibration, as well as the Volt/Ohm probes. To be honest, I didn't have the time to check it over as well as I could have, I'll post some more pics of it with the back off next time im out there.
Dan

Terry_VK5TM 3rd Jul 2022 5:30 am

Re: Sun mea 1500 sl

Somewhere I have the service manual on CD - will PM you when I can dig it up - as per usual, I saw it the other day but can't remember where.

logicaluk 3rd Jul 2022 9:34 am

My friends one is a SUN 1010-FA if anyone can turn up any manual for that he would be very grateful.

logicaluk 3rd Jul 2022 4:20 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Pics of the inside as promised

G6Tanuki 3rd Jul 2022 6:09 pm

Fascinating... these Sun/Crypton testers were usually rented to garages and workshops on a pay-per-week basis; when you stopped paying the rental they took it back. Or pushed you to take on the latest model [with lots of new features to deal with things like catalytic-converters and fuel-injection] of couirse at an additional weekly/monthly payment.

So it's intriguing to see an old one that's not been taken-back-and-crushed!

CambridgeWorks 3rd Jul 2022 6:11 pm

Looks horrible to me! BUT, at least it should be repairable, given the pcb and component physical sizes and technology back then. I imagine those connectors could be temperamental though.
Back in the late 70s, I knew a radio amateur, Pete, G3THS (called himself That Horrible Station!). He lived in Marham, Norfolk. Traveled most of the country with his job as a SUN repair engineer.
Long passed by now.
Rob

logicaluk 3rd Jul 2022 8:36 pm

I'll admit it's not as nice to look at as the older ones with big analogue gauges and twiddly knobs, but it has a certain presence, It's going to be a very useful tool seeing as it's got the full gas analyser pack and also does power balance where it shorts out 1 cyl at a time and measures the rpm to see if one is more effective than the others.

The big question I'm worried about is will it need recapping?
Dan

Terry_VK5TM 5th Jul 2022 4:57 am

PM sent Dan.

Re recapping - power supply and monitors most usually.

logicaluk 5th Jul 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks terry, I'm off to have a read.
Dan

logicaluk 7th Jul 2022 7:47 pm

Wow, that has to be one of the best service manuals I've read in years.

First job is to go through the power supply, but it's on a long list, I will update when I've got to it.
Thanks
Dan

Terry_VK5TM 8th Jul 2022 12:01 am

Whatever you do - don't touch the pots on the gas bench without the manual (one that sadly I missed out on and rarer than hen's teeth).

Even with a manual, it's a messy job lining up the gas bench without the proper tools.

logicaluk 9th Jul 2022 5:12 pm

Looks like I can do most of the set-up without the gas, then ill have to find someone to do the calibration. Good thing is I have found an equivalent O2 sensor, a bit shocked to find it only has a useful life of 3 years though.
Dan