UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

slidertogrid 21st Feb 2018 7:01 am

1960's TV set in "Back in time for tea"

Did anyone see the BBC2 programme "Back in time for tea" last night? The family's TV set appeared to be a real working set. I think it was a Ferguson (Flight?) the one with the controls on the top.
Usually on this type of program the picture on the period TV set is either not seen or is an obvious superimposed one.
This set however had a somewhat milky slightly over bright picture and on a fleeting shot I am sure I could see the line structure of the picture suggesting it really was 405 lines..
Did anyone else see this or was it wishful thinking on my part?
I watched the program at my parents house I don't know if they have recorded it I will check later when I visit and if so I will see if I can get any pictures of the set. It looked in mint condition as new in fact.
:thumbsup:
Rich.

Stockden 21st Feb 2018 10:15 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

No, I saw it too. As it happens next week's Radio Times has this to say about the series:

"We work with a fantastic man who buys old TVs, radios, gramaphones and lovingly restores and rewires them in his workshop so you can plug an mp3 or iPod into it. He sourced everything for us. You can run an old black and white TV programme on a DVD plugged into that TV so it feels like you're actually watching television from that era".

Hugh

Brigham 21st Feb 2018 11:06 am

Something in there I don't like the sound of. Maybe it's just me.

HamishBoxer 21st Feb 2018 12:27 pm

STV in White City used to supply sets years ago. I am afraid I used to do them for him (George Appter) if I have spelt the surname correctly.

Many fitted with Steepletone chassis!

AC/HL 21st Feb 2018 3:40 pm

However they did what they had to do for a TV programme aimed at the general public it worked. I thought I caught a glimpse of line structure too.

McMurdo 21st Feb 2018 3:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
AFAIK the TVs are supplied by the Vintage TV & Wireless Company of Norwich. The Ferguson on last night's episode of 'back in time for tea' is on the rental stock list in the 'fully practical' section (ie in working order).

slidertogrid 22nd Feb 2018 9:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Yep that's the set I saw. Presumably then restored to working order and operated with a standards converter. If they had swapped the insides for a more modern chassis the screen shape would surely give it away.

How about this set then? Does anyone recognise it?
Seen in a ropy boarding house in an old episode of The two Ronnies when they were investigating the strange case of The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town...:laugh2:
Rich.

'LIVEWIRE?' 23rd Feb 2018 9:35 am

Maybe I missed something, despite recently seeing the 'Phantom Raspberry blower' episodes on Yesterday Channel, but as the 'Phantom' stories were set in Victorian times, why would any TV set be featured?

daviddeakin 23rd Feb 2018 9:49 am

There's also a thread here about films where valves can be seen:
http://ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=422771

slidertogrid 23rd Feb 2018 8:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' (Post 1019655)
Maybe I missed something, despite recently seeing the 'Phantom Raspberry blower' episodes on Yesterday Channel, but as the 'Phantom' stories were set in Victorian times, why would any TV set be featured?

Maybe I got it wrong I was only half watching the program so it was probably some other sketch during the programme. The phantom bit may have been a different sketch. I wasn't paying a lot of attention until I saw the TV set...
:-] Sorry for any confusion..
However anyone know what set it was? My best guess would be some sort of EMI offering ?

McMurdo 23rd Feb 2018 10:34 pm

I've got something similar scanned into my pic album

edit : HMV937 etc?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3571

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3573

rob77 8th Mar 2018 1:52 pm

Afternoon all.

I supplied the TVs for Back in Time for Tea. It was a great program to be involved with.
All the sets were restored and working, original sets, using the original electronics. The first set used in the 1950's was a Defiant.
The early sets were fed with video from DVD via a standards converter, and the later sets are fed using a standard RF modulator.
The family did mention the annoying 405 line whistle and on some parts of the show, you can actually hear the set whistling in the background.

The radios are also restored sets, with audio fed in from a MP3 player.

Best wishes.
Rob

Graham G3ZVT 11th Mar 2018 4:58 pm

Hi Rob, encouraged by your post I went in search of something I was involved with 31 years, ago. I never saw the completed programme at the time, this is the first time I have seen it
https://youtu.be/PGtVjy2NyYc?t=72
I supplied the set you see to the location, a hotel room where it was filmed (16mm).
The set was a contemporary 16 inch ITT, nothing whatsoever remarkable, and I would have forgotten about it but for a couple of things.

The racing footage was not the race featured in the episode, it was a real race and it was important that the horses, and jockeys colours were not identifiable. Pulling focus on the camera did not give a convincing effect, so I was asked to defocus the TV.

Unfortunately that model did not have a great range of adjustment on the focus pot and the producer asked what more I could do.

So, the set as you see it had the back removed and a chain of 10Mohm resistors added to the top of the focus pot until they were happy.
All the time I was messing about with the focus chain and my soldering iron, the scantily dressed actress you see was in front of me.

Brettski 12th Mar 2018 11:09 pm

Roberts on Coronation Street

Any one noticed the Roberts in the Hairdressers on coronation street?

Can’t quite see the top, but looks like a R23 judging by the buttons.

rob77 12th Mar 2018 11:38 pm

There are also a couple of Robert's radios in EastEnders!

Brigham 22nd Mar 2018 2:48 pm

I don't want to spoil a good horror story, but just about EVERY independent (or 'non-franchise') motor repair workshop has a waste-oil burning stove made from an LPG gas bottle.
It's neither rare, nor dangerous. It's just routine.

Guest 22nd Mar 2018 3:12 pm

I wonder what happens if you ask Calor (or other LPG supplier) if they want to pick up an empty cylinder? I have just 'phoned them (Calor), they do pick them up, I was expecting "we can't be bothered, keep it". Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful lady on the 'phone too, no waiting or a huge menu to go through either (two choices, postcode or speak to a person). And it's a proper 0800 (free) number too.

Makes a change form trying to 'phone ones electricity supplier. 10/10 Calor.

turretslug 22nd Mar 2018 3:38 pm

Also, we live in an era where there may well be pressure (pun not intended) on cylinder suppliers to keep "frangible containment vessels" coralled and out of malevolent hands.

Andrew2 9th Apr 2018 9:18 am

I spotted an interesting-looking wire recorder in 'The Sound Barrier' the other day. No ID or screenshot yet.

Graham G3ZVT 16th May 2018 11:42 am

1 Attachment(s)
Did anyone else notice the rather nice R1155 shown during the closing credits of Channel 4 "Four in a Bed" (series 11)?

ms660 16th May 2018 11:45 am

Looks like it's been got at.

Lawrence.

HamishBoxer 16th May 2018 11:45 am

It has been got at quite a bit though.

Agh! crossed with Lawrence.

Mike-repairman 16th May 2018 12:57 pm

Didn't see it but they normally manage to make them work without a PSU!

Grubhead 29th May 2018 12:44 pm

A nice Marconiphone record player on Antiques Roadshow on Monday, which was on the Royal Yacht!
No value given of course!

Richard_FM 6th Jun 2018 11:58 pm

TV in Broaden Your Mind

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone recognise the TV used in one of the remaining sketches from Broaden Your Mind?

dazzlevision 7th Jun 2018 12:38 am

Re: TV in Broaden Your Mind

Pye model TV13, 23” twin panel CRT, all valve dual standard chassis, circa 1963/4.

Studio263 7th Jun 2018 9:34 am

11U chassis.

AidanLunn 7th Jun 2018 9:36 am

I think it's the same model that appeared in Monty Python's "Penguin on top of your TV set will now explode" sketch, and in 1971 Doctor Who serial "The Daemons", both as a TV in an army barracks and as a pub TV! If Broaden Your Mind is a BBC programme, it might even be the same set, assuming the BBC didn't have several of the same model as props.

dazzlevision 7th Jun 2018 10:04 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the set’s ID plate screwed to the chassis.

I have five of these, all removed from model 13s that I’ve dismantled over the past 45+ years!

In days gone by, I often saw this model in BBC TV programmes.

dazzlevision 7th Jun 2018 10:48 am

3 Attachment(s)
Here are two photos of a Pye model 13 chassis; front and rear views.

This particular set was fitted with the basic chassis, that used direct line sync.

The third picture is of another chassis, but fitted with the flywheel line sync "piggy back" PCB.
The model 13 would then be a 13F (F=fringe).

Sets fitted with a UHF tuner were designated 13U and sets fitted with a UHF tuner and the flywheel sync unit were 13UF.

Richard_FM 7th Jun 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I knew it would be quickly identified.

The Philpott 21st Jul 2018 11:19 am

A Model 47A Avometer appears in the background then later on takes centre stage:

Danger UXB, 1978,Thames Television, Ep.11 of 13. 'Dead Letter'.
Available on DVD and very much worth watching. The air of authenticity was remarkable, and original equipment and methods shown.

A pre-immunised 25B (Y) fuze is being experimentally frozen with liquid O2 in the lab., with the declining output of the battery shown on the meter.
The Avo is a healthy looking Admiralty 47A with aluminium back-box and Model 40 legend on the facia, and nickel plated Z screw. All contemporary with it's serial number, which is as legible as we could hope for-

Appears to be 8517-642

Is it of course, being used with handle uppermost- but the shot wouldn't have worked nearly as well otherwise. We were very ad-hoc in the early days, with kit improvised,begged and borrowed, and the presence of Admiralty equipment being used out of context effectively escapes being an anachronism!

Now then, where is this meter now....!?

Dave

The Philpott 21st Jul 2018 11:31 am

Additional- Fortunately, any attempt to clone 8517-642 and sell at inflated price would be immediately apparent and immediately exposed. 'Nuff said!

John10b 21st Jul 2018 11:37 am

In the picture The Green Man recently shown on Moving Pictures, Alec Guineas was carrying a KB Portable Radio hidden inside a suitcase, he was swapping it with another identical KB Radio, part of a plot.
Incidentally the Moving Pictures channel is the place to spot old Radio etc.
Cheers
John

Richard_FM 21st Jul 2018 7:05 pm

Talking of Alec Guinness the tv adaptation of tinker tailor soldier spy has operative sam Collins watching a small b/w set while on a night monitoring shift- mostly a football match with Ipswich town playing

Andrew2 22nd Jul 2018 12:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by John10b (Post 1060319)
In the picture The Green Man recently shown on Moving Pictures, Alec Guineas was carrying a KB Portable Radio hidden inside a suitcase, he was swapping it with another identical KB Radio, part of a plot.
Incidentally the Moving Pictures channel is the place to spot old Radio etc.
Cheers
John

Wasn't it an Ultra Coronation Twin?

G8KBG Tony 22nd Jul 2018 12:41 am

Also - Alec Guineas (Alec Guinness) should be Alistair Sim and the channel is "Talking Pictures".

Sorry to be so pedantic.

John10b 22nd Jul 2018 9:18 am

Absolutely correct, I must be getting old !
Cheers
John

John10b 22nd Jul 2018 9:21 am

Yes it was a KB Coronation Twin.
Cheers
John

cheerfulcharlie 12th Sep 2018 8:47 am

The British Movie Forum has added a few more to it's fascinating thread.

https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/ci...reen-continued

The Philpott 7th Oct 2018 8:12 pm

My other half says she spotted an avometer in Doctor Who tonight, amongst a deliberately random assortment of equipment. I then paid attention and spotted a wee megger. Little else of interest, very shouty. Did Tom Baker shout? No. Didn't need to!

Dave

MurphyNut 10th Oct 2018 3:31 am

I watched the recent film "Darkest hour" all about Churchill during the war and was absolutely amazed that not one old radio was shown, there were sequences with people listening to radios but none were actually seen, a missed opportunity I think!

Herald1360 10th Oct 2018 9:31 am

Maybe just one less period prop to worry about getting right!

turretslug 14th Oct 2018 11:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphyNut (Post 1082035)
I watched the recent film "Darkest hour" all about Churchill during the war and was absolutely amazed that not one old radio was shown, there were sequences with people listening to radios but none were actually seen, a missed opportunity I think!

There was one shot where the camera panned slowly across the (backless!) rear of a radio whilst a broadcast was being listened to, showing a number of ostentatiously glowing valves that appeared to be approximately of the period, i.e. in size and envelope shape- I half expected someone here to identify the set!

The third programme of Andrew Marr's Darwin's Dangerous Idea series includes material on James Lovelock (of Gaia hypothesis fame), one archive shot of the latter has a BRT400 in the immediate background.

BillDWVA 29th Oct 2018 8:09 pm

Tape recorder spotting.. on TV

Hi,
Just thought I’d mention; anyone see ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ drama series (set in 1979 apparently) that started on BBC1 last night had a few machines to spot in some scenes?

Bill

radiomarktv 17th Nov 2018 12:09 am

Pye D18T on John Lewis Christmas advert

Just watched John Lewis Christmas advert and spotted a Pye D18T of 1948 next to the piano. Has anyone else seen it?

mark pirate 17th Nov 2018 9:41 am

You are indeed correct, I have two of these excellent little sets ;D
Elton John was born on 25 March 1947, so the set is period correct (for a change).
:beer:
Mark

Paul Stenning 26th Nov 2018 9:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Vision Express advert, Channel 5, 22nd October (watching a recording on my box). Hopefully not already posted...

Looks like an Ultra (1500 chassis) to me as I had a similar set as a kid. At least it’s showing a monochrome picture, looks like it’s added rather than genuine.

Volume control at max and brightness at min, or vice versa.

ms660 26th Nov 2018 10:50 pm

The volume control looks to be set less than half way, the brightness control looks to be set to maximum and the contrast control looks to be set to minimum so far as I can make out.

There might be a 1615 chassis inside.

EDIT: Ultra 6850?

Lawrence.

Guest 26th Nov 2018 10:52 pm

Quote:

Volume control at max and brightness at min
Looks like it, just a little more attention to detail (or using a real set and a real picture) would have made it.