UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

G8vsjDave 18th Oct 2019 2:00 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1184100)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G8vsjDave (Post 1183666)
Way back in the late 60's I watched an episode of ‘The Saint’ where a pair of Sinclair Micro 6’s were being ‘used’ as Walkie-talkies, IIRC with a world wide range.
Dave

Wasn't that "The Avengers" rather than "The Saint"? ISTR they were the later Micromatic model.

It's possible on both points Chris, but I watched more of "The Saint" than I did "The Avengers".

Dave

Herald1360 18th Oct 2019 3:44 pm

I remember muttering at the time that it was a load of rubbish and why couldn't they at least have used something mocked up for the programme rather than a recognisable piece of domestic kit.

There's only so much one can do regarding suspension of disbelief ;D
(Don't get me started on Wallace and Gromit's A35 van with WIND UP windows!)

slidertogrid 18th Oct 2019 11:14 pm

Am I missing something? surely A35 vans did?
I remember watching Space 1999 as a kid and thinking that the Black and White CRT sets used as monitors was a bit crap They would have at least been colour in 1999 and probably just a screen rather than something that looked like an ordinary portable TV set of the current time... 1975 ish?
The special effects were also a bit 'Michael Bentine's potty time'...

Richard_FM 18th Oct 2019 11:16 pm

Dr Who occasionally used off the shelf items for props, but considering the budget was much lower than The Avengers & The Saint it was understandable.

'LIVEWIRE?' 19th Oct 2019 9:03 am

A35 Vans did have wind-up windows-I used to work with someone who owned one many years ago. Minis (Saloon and van versions), on the other hand had sliding windows.

Brigham 19th Oct 2019 9:17 am

I can't remember the Austin A30 or A35 having wind-up windows.
They had a balanced drop-glass, worked by an oblong glass 'handle', glued to the top of the glass.
It used to fall off, and an after-market S shaped handle was produced ( by Barnacle, I think) to replace it.
You had to remember to lock the window by pushing the inside handle forwards, before you got out. The door key only locked the door handle, not the window.

Station X 19th Oct 2019 9:32 am

Back on topic please.

G6Tanuki 19th Oct 2019 10:04 am

I remember an old episode of Dr.Who where The Doctor used what looked to me like a Heathkit GDO as some sort of weapon to ward off an attacking alien lifeform.

Herald1360 19th Oct 2019 11:12 pm

Thank you, Brigham. I owned several, cars and vans. 8-)

I was also, getting back on topic(ish) once the proud owner of a Benkson tape recorder as featured in the space station control panel of Thunderbird 5 ;D

Brigham 23rd Oct 2019 10:58 am

So that's what it is!
You could open a separate topic on 'gear' used in Thunderbirds. I loved spotting 'known' items, often Airfix or Lucas parts. My favourite was the (seemingly) huge Friedland bell-push which Brains uses to stop the runaway train in "Brink of Disaster".

Richard_FM 23rd Oct 2019 1:18 pm

The BBC used a lot of off the shelf props for Dr Who, Blake's 7 & other science fiction programmes.

regentone001 1st Nov 2019 12:13 pm

3 Attachment(s)
here are three stills taken from "The Prisoner" episode Hammer into Anvil showing a Bush SRP31D. The third one shows the name Bush in the lid has been covered over and with a very careful camera shot the Bush badge on the front of the RP can't be seen though a little of it is still observable

Steve

red16v 3rd Nov 2019 6:53 pm

May I ask a a question please? What is the make and model of the tape recorder in the opening titles of ‘The human jungle’ ?

G6Tanuki 3rd Nov 2019 7:04 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder what the record-deck shown in these stills from "The Prisoner" was?

There's something Garrard SP25 about it.

"Music begins where words leave off".

Mike-repairman 3rd Nov 2019 7:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by red16v (Post 1188790)
May I ask a a question please? What is the make and model of the tape recorder in the opening titles of ‘The human jungle’ ?

Here's the picture, but I don't immediately recognise it; has 5 letters in it's name though. Never repaired many reel to reels in my day compared to the rest of my workload.

ms660 3rd Nov 2019 7:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by red16v (Post 1188790)

Grundig TK40.

?

Lawrence.

McMurdo 3rd Nov 2019 7:21 pm

grundig

regentone001 3rd Nov 2019 9:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)
G6Tanuki yes is it an SP25 I think a mk1 though am not sure.
Attached is another still from "The Prisoner" this time the episode "the Girl who was Death". Taken from the scene where No 6 is beneath the lighthouse it shows a Dansette Popular similar to the one I had for my birthday when I was 10 though mine was blue.

"Be seeing you"

Steve

Richard_FM 4th Nov 2019 12:19 am

1 Attachment(s)
I spotted this set in the 1978 French film L'Animal.

No idea what it is, possibly it was a back projection screen with a TV facia added,

red16v 12th Nov 2019 12:18 pm

Many thanks to McMurdo and ms660 for answering a question that has puzzled me for many years.