UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Television Tilly oh sorry, trolley. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165485)

Heatercathodeshort 7th Apr 2020 11:17 am

Television Tilly oh sorry, trolley.

5 Attachment(s)
It's always a delicate path to take. I am fortunate to have workshop space divorced from the house and try as best I can to house the vintage bits and pieces in my collection shed or workshop.
There are a few vintage receivers and grams in the bungalow but they are all in use and not just ornaments or display pieces.
It is only too easy to allow the living accommodation to get clogged with basic junk especially if space is short as it often is in a modern house or flat.
First it is just the odd radio, then another arrives and you dump it on top of the first one and so on.
Eventually your living space becomes impossible resembling one of those homes you see on those Hoarders documentaries, crunching TV22s, DAC90s and all manner of delights underfoot.
I can understand where this comes from. I think we are all teetering on a minor version of the above. My parents war time generation suffered shortages to such an extent that they found it difficult to discard anything post war that might be useful, and it often was!

Time and again especially when friends visited they have wanted to see my most recent project maybe mentioned on this interesting Forum. It was then a matter of locating it then connecting standards converter etc and the usual mass of wires. Something had to be done and in a mad moment of enthusiasm I built this 'demonstration' trolley from a pallet and scrap wood.It is constructed with large wheel castors and can take the heaviest receiver while remaining steady being fitted together with dowels and 'W' woodworking adhesive.
A separate box houses the AURORA, DVD player and Digi tuner box. The Aurora is fitted in it's own box at the rear of the container with co-ax sockets and input selector switch mounted on the sides as can be seen in the pictures. The shelf in the middle can be removed to gain easy access for wiring etc. The finished item was rubbed down and given a couple of coats of light oak varnish.
Power is supplied via a two double 13amp sockets again mounted in a heavy box constructed from 2X2 timber and heavy plywood, complete with neon mains indicator.It is solid and incapable of flapping about when connecting equipment.
It is only necessary to plug in, connect the aerial and demonstrate any receiver of your choice, simple. It also makes a good 'soak' trolley and is equally at home demonstrating radios, table grams and record players.
Now here is the clever bit. The trolley does not look out of place in a room setting as can be seen.
With a few lengths of that expandable PVC spring curtain hanging wire fitted around the top and some trendy Laura Ashley fabric concealing the innards,
your good lady of the house will have nothing to complain about.You can sneak it into that vacant corner of the living or bedroom until required..
You can put a nice pot of plastic Geraniums on the top to finish it off.
Hope you like the idea and construct one during these strange times.
Regards, John.

Duke_Nukem 7th Apr 2020 12:41 pm

Re: Television Tilly oh sorry, trolley.

Looks like you've enough space to add a slide out drawer where you can store T-cut, polishing paste no. 5, Mr Sheen and some rags for the rare moments you aren't just polishing ;D

Know what you mean about front rooms getting over-run, been there ! However I now need to move tellies down and up stairs, perhaps you have some ideas on adapting your excellent design ? Maybe an adapter to attach to a Stannah Stair Lift ?

I've been suprised that I've found some of the Sunday Night @ London Palladium quite entertaining, but the thought of heaving a telly down the stairs and plumbing in all the wiring means I've cheated and watched it on the modern(ish) colour telly (still 4:3 CRT though).

TTFN,
Jon

dave walsh 7th Apr 2020 1:00 pm

That's a nice piece of furniture you've put together John and very practicable:clap:. Even the sockets fit in with the flooring! That TV is a very good match. I've got a standard metal framed office desk [donated]. It has a built in plug board and big wheels. I use it to host/move sets like the AR88 and Nens Clarke 1500 but it has no glamour. Having a Desk/Trolley that's "mobile" proved to be a much greater advantage than I'd anticipated when it was offered.

Dave W

Heatercathodeshort 7th Apr 2020 2:08 pm

The top is a quick release Dave. Two turnbuckles and it's off. Different tops can be fitted in a flash! Flower arranging, tea trolley even bathing the baby.. I would think it makes it more acceptable to a busy lady. Most do not wish to have dusty old junk in their valued living rooms [and I don't blame them!]. Just a bit of fun but it's certainly practical and I don't think you can buy one in IKEA at least, not yet.
Looking at those pictures gives me an idea. Maybe I should turn the hall into a 405 display area.. John.

Heatercathodeshort 7th Apr 2020 2:24 pm

OH Jon! Sunday Night at the L.P.....To think I was allowed to sit up and watch that on our Ferguson 236T.
It was a show of it's time. First broadcast on ITV in 1955. It was a winner due to the miserable programmes transmitted by the BBC at that time.
I must admit I find it embarrassing today with many cringe moments. It's fascinating looking back to see what we laughed at!
PS I did think about the drawer you suggest but dropped the idea in case I spilt the T cut on the carpet.
I think you can get a grant for a stairlift. John.

chriswood1900 8th Apr 2020 2:35 pm

John
What a good idea, I have regularly had problems fishing out all the leads and kit to demo an old TV and whilst I don't have space for the trolley it has inspired me to build a box to house and connect up the usual paraphernalia, of freeview box, DVD player and 405 line converter. One thing you could add to your trolley, a Variac so you can wind the old things up slowly and not stress their valves and tube!

Heatercathodeshort 8th Apr 2020 7:10 pm

I just plug 'em in Chris. They seem to like the sudden shock. Once sorted they should be OK. I've never had a chassis fail on switch on after repair/restoration. There is always a first time. Thanks for your comment. Regards, John.

HamishBoxer 8th Apr 2020 7:28 pm

1 Attachment(s)
When not wound up gently, beware the smoothing bomb (cap)!