UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ferguson tv 3755 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164423)

Bigmike1958 2nd Mar 2020 5:21 pm

Ferguson tv 3755

I’ve got a Ferguson tv 14 in 1980s portable tv model 3755 that does not light up checked plug n fuse but can’t find fuse inside tv can anyone help with details or picture where it is thanks mike

jayceebee 2nd Mar 2020 5:38 pm

Re: Ferguson tv 3755

Follow the grey lead from the on off switch to the chassis and unplug it, fuse should be under the cover if it's a TX9, a picture would really help also to determine what chassis is fitted.

John.

Edit. Yes it is a TX9 chassis

Welsh Anorak 2nd Mar 2020 6:00 pm

Pretty sure that's a TX9 MkI. As John says, the fuse will be under the cover that forms part of the mains input plug. It's likely to be blown. Then the fun starts as the crowbar could have fired. Check for obvious shorts (bridge, degaussing thermistor, thyristors, series diode) then monitor the HT and see what it gets to - 117v is about right. A variac is very useful here. It's best to reduce the HT preset first (this can become intermittent causing random fuse blowing), but ISTR that the direction of rotation changed during production so I can't say which is the right way! You'll need a good stock of 1.6A antisurge fuses - the ones with the spring inside. Another very common fault back in the day was the small mains filter coil near the input connector. That can overheat and conduct, blowing fuses, though I think it's on the live side of the mains switch.
Of course it's just possible it's a Mk3 which has a redesigned PSU. That uses a chopper transistor on a heatsink and a TDA4600 so is easy to spot - the older version had neither.

jayceebee 2nd Mar 2020 6:33 pm

As Glyn says, it will be almost certainly a MkI or possibly a MkII, the giveaway is a huge choke at the rear of the chassis. Not all but some sets suffered from random fuse blowing, sometimes over days, weeks or many months. Several mods were introduced but it never fully went away until the chopper version arrived. These were excellent but all versions gave really good pictures.

John.

its ur aerial 3rd Mar 2020 10:00 pm

Random fuse blowing on the Mark 1, came across several with that fault, that I never completely repaired.
For 40 years I thought it was just me :dunce:
It appeared to me, more common in the 18 inch version ? Ah..happy days at DER.
Ken G6HZG.

Bigmike1958 4th Mar 2020 2:45 pm

Ferguson tv model 3755

1 Attachment(s)
I asked other day where the fuse was in my Ferguson tv 3755 model can’t find it is it under the rectangle metal covers one side by side o of each other can anyone help.

Welsh Anorak 4th Mar 2020 2:52 pm

Used to keep a handful of best quality 1.6A spring loaded antisurge fuses in my pocket - nothing else would do. If you were unlucky you'd need to change the mains switch, the plug (really), the HT preset and if VERY unlucky most of the silicon in the PSU. Then wind the HT down till it lost colour, then up a tad. Then if that failed change the customer as their house wiring was to blame.

jayceebee 4th Mar 2020 4:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the fuse location if it's a Mk1 or Mk2. On the Mk3 it's situated at the front of the chassis under the bowl of the CRT. You will need to remove the aerial socket from it's plastic bracket to withdraw the chassis for better access.

John.