UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Underlining or overlining a word - how? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177171)

Rileyman 28th Feb 2021 11:01 pm

Underlining or overlining a word - how?

Whenever I try to underline a word on this website all I get is a screenful of gobbledegook ! I'm using my wife's Laptop (it is allowed) and normally use Ctrl + u when typing elsewhere . Any ideas ?

Laurie.

AdrianH 28th Feb 2021 11:04 pm

Re: Underlining a word - how?

If you go to advanced options you can underline words in that screen, highlight the word or words you want then just click on the U with the bar underneath.

Adrian

Radio Wrangler 28th Feb 2021 11:12 pm

without the advanced screen I'll just highlight the word underline and I'll click the underline symbol in the message box header. It's now bracketed that word with breakout commands to go into underline mode and then to come back from underline mode. It all looks like regular text with no underline going on. That change is done when you post.

Hang on, here goes...

Edit, yup, it worked! and now I've opened an edit on the message, that word has gone back to regular text with the underline/not underline commands bracketing it.

Italics and bold work in exactly the same way.

David

Terry_VK5TM 1st Mar 2021 12:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
A picture paints a thousand words

Paul Stenning 1st Mar 2021 12:26 am

If you want to type the underline tags rather than using the editor, put [U] before the word and [/U] after the word.

You can do the same for bold using [B] [/B] tags and italic using [I] [/I] tags.

And to type these codes without them doing their thing, as I did here, use [NOPARSE] [/NOPARSE] tags (which aren't on any buttons in the editor). :thumbsup:

SiriusHardware 1st Mar 2021 12:35 pm

As a matter of interest is there a way to overline text as opposed to underlining it? I know the editor doesn't have that feature but can it be done with something along the lines of ...text...?

paulsherwin 1st Mar 2021 12:57 pm

Overlining isn't available as far as I know.

Members should be aware that the mods aren't very keen on pointless and unnecessary formatting, so should use such features sparingly.

Guest 1st Mar 2021 1:58 pm

A case of...

STYLE
CONTENT

SiriusHardware 1st Mar 2021 5:17 pm

Overline would come in useful when discussing microprocessor signals, as it is usually used to signify an active-low signal line or chip pin signal (for example 'CE' with overline would mean an active-low chip-enable signal).

Paul Stenning 1st Mar 2021 5:44 pm

Overlining isn't a HTML styling option that can be applied with HTML tags, which is why there are no BB tags for it (the system translates the BB tags in square brackets to HTML tags for display).

The best approach in that case would be to decide on an alternative way for your post such as -CE or /CE, or use a colour, and state at the start that this method implies active low. Or type it in something that does support overlining etc and save as a PDF to attach here. Not ideal but that's all we can do here.

Guest 1st Mar 2021 6:06 pm

I find the non existence of a BAR (negative) option amusing, all of the computers to render HTML use logic with them.

SiriusHardware 1st Mar 2021 7:24 pm

No problem, I just wondered if it was something which existed in the command set but had no specific button shortcut. As Paul says, there is a (sort of) convention to use _SIG or /SIG to indicate an active low signal line where overlining is not available, such as in plain text.

Guest 1st Mar 2021 9:24 pm

I use /sig in plain, memory efficient unambiguous text too, no rendering required. I also spell out things like OHM and MICRO and MILLI if there is any possibility of confusion. So far I have yet to find a recent (last 40 years) high (or low) level programming language that uses anything but plain 127 (probably a lot fewer) ASCII text characters for input.

Rileyman 1st Mar 2021 10:35 pm

Many thanks,everyone, for all the info. --- for the moment I'm OVERWHELMED , but tomorrow, I will get some practice in.

Regards,

Laurie. (a novice!).

Paul Stenning 2nd Mar 2021 12:21 am

OK, for overline try [o]Overline[/o] which should give overlined text like this between the tags.

This is the letter O not the number zero.

Having discovered this https://html-shark.com/HTML/Overline.htm I have added 'o' as a custom BB code but not tested it thoroughly. In particular I have not tested it in conjunction with other tags/styling. If it works OK I will add a button for it in due course.

SiriusHardware 2nd Mar 2021 12:57 am

Re: Underlining or overlining a word - how?

Thanks Paul, I really didn't expect you to go to those lengths but since you've been kind enough to do that, I will give it a try when the opportunity arises.

Station X 2nd Mar 2021 11:30 am

overlined bold text

OVERLINED BOLD COLOURED TEXT

Quote:

OVERLINED BOLD COLOURED QUOTED TEXT

Paul Stenning 2nd Mar 2021 12:15 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Overlined and underlined

There is now a button in the editor if you click "Go Advanced". It is on the far right, not with the other styling ones, because that's where the system puts custom ones.

SiriusHardware 2nd Mar 2021 1:07 pm

Much appreciated, thanks.