UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   How can I remove the smell of stale cigarette smoke from a handset cord ? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168737)

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 8:00 am

How can I remove the smell of stale cigarette smoke from a handset cord ?

Just that really. I've put it in the washing machine and aired it in yesterday's strong wind. I've scrubbed it in a solution of bicarbonate of soda. It still reeks. Any suggestions before I replace it ? Thankyou.

SeanStevens 6th Jul 2020 8:25 am

Re: How can I remove the smell of stale cigarette smoke from a handset cord ?

First 3 hits on the web:

Use baking soda. ...
Or try ammonia. ...
Or vinegar. ...

One down (baking soda) two to go!

Ammonia might damage stuff - go careful

SEAN

stevehertz 6th Jul 2020 8:48 am

I'm currently cleaning up two guitars and an amp and cab that were in a house fire. They're not fire damaged as they were in a separate room but they reek of smoke. I've found that Servisol foam cleanser is doing an excellent job of removing the stain and the smell, plus being put out in the fresh air avoiding rain obviously. The fabric inside of the guitar case I brushed, put it outside repeatedly and sprayed with Febreeze.

Dave Moll 6th Jul 2020 8:53 am

I'm surprised that the washing machine didn't do the trick. What detergent did you use?

I recently had a telephone line cord that I was on the verge of ditching as it was so caked with grot that it had lost its flexibility. I thought there was nothing to lose by sticking it in with the wash - and was pleasantly surprised that it came out almost as good as new. Incidentally, this was using Ecover washing powder.

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 10:48 am

We might have some foam cleanser at the office so I can try that when I'm back there. As for the washing machine, it's an excellent way of cleaning short cables of any sort (I put them in a sock and tie the top with string). I just put them on a regular 30-40 wash with other laundry. Morrison's laundry liquid is my usual detergent. The cord in question is spotlessly clean and shiny but it still stinks. Maybe I need to wash it more than once.

slidertogrid 6th Jul 2020 11:16 am

Another vote for Foam cleaner here .
We used Servisol Foam Cleanser to clean ex rental Television sets. The liquid running off the set and cloths would turn brown, It did a brilliant job. The cloths would then wash perfectly. I would suggest soaking it in foam cleaner maybe a couple of times and then re washing it if necessary.
Good luck!

Dave Moll 6th Jul 2020 11:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparks (Post 1267135)
Maybe I need to wash it more than once.

Probably.

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 11:32 am

Thankyou all. One or two things to try before I bin it.

unitelex 6th Jul 2020 12:17 pm

As a last ditch before you bin it you could try neat bleach, in a small tub/bucket, not the washing machine.

Use rubber gloves...

BTW a word of caution re: alkaline substances in washing machines... Although the drum is usually stainless steel which is quite resistant to all kinds of substances, there is a structure at the back within the drum called a "spider" which is within the fluid, these are often aluminium die castings and will dissolve in alkaline fluid.

Best Regards
Chris

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks Chris. I'll add it to the list of possibles.

Heatercathodeshort 6th Jul 2020 4:30 pm

If you have put it through the washing machine it will at least be clean. The smell will fade completely in time given plenty of fresh air. If you dump any more chemicals on it, the poor thing will probably drop to bits. Fag smoke really is disgusting! J..

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 5:20 pm

Cigarette smoke is indeed foul. I can't believe how much it clings. At the moment, our hero is coiled up in a bowl of neat bleach and will remain so overnight. If I end up replacing one unpleasant smell with one slightly less unpleasant it will be a start. At least the smell of bleach does disappear eventually, and it might take the smoky smell with it..

CambridgeWorks 6th Jul 2020 6:18 pm

If it had been from a tom cat there might have been plenty of expert replies here!
Seriously though, maybe lemon juice? Or a garden herb mixed with white vinegar? The change in smell might be far more acceptable.
Rob

Ambientnoise 6th Jul 2020 8:17 pm

I presume a handset cord is open ended so water/detergent etc can wick into the stranded cores if it is submerged ? If so, it may well cause long term corrosion such as seen on aerial downleads. I guess the copper cores maybe varnished but it sounds risky.

Ken

Sparks 6th Jul 2020 9:16 pm

I've kept the ends out of the bleach so it's only the coiled section that's getting the treatment, so to speak.

dagskarlsen 6th Jul 2020 10:40 pm

Ozon removes it, but it is not healty... Some smells of smoke is removed by etheric oils over a long periode. Rosmarin, eucalyptus, camfer on a cloth, and put it all in a plastic bag for a week. Do not let the cord touch the oils.

dsk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10000mg-h-P...sAAOSwKiRetTCl

davidw 7th Jul 2020 8:44 am

Just a thought but I would have a word with a local 2nd hand car dealer,to see what spays and wipes they use to detox their car upholstery.

Sparks 7th Jul 2020 10:54 am

Thankyou for the continuing suggestions everyone. Our hero is currently having a second spin in the washing machine. It's a three hour programme so should do some good.

stevehertz 7th Jul 2020 11:05 am

You're gonna end up with the cleanest, sweetest smelling handset cord in the world.

M0FYA Andy 7th Jul 2020 11:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehertz (Post 1267407)
You're gonna end up with the cleanest, sweetest smelling handset cord in the world.

...........or nothing at all, once it's either dissolved or fallen to pieces!

Andy