UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102254)

ms660 28th Oct 2021 5:05 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

Some cryptic clues....

1) A type of insulating tape beginning with k....sub. the n with p and add an i that will give you an anagram for the title of the film.

2) Constantinople.

3) The person who's hand the "device" is on was a well known English actor.

Easier now.

Lawrence.

bc312 29th Oct 2021 11:24 am

The film is 'Topkapi' - not sure which actor though, perhaps Robert Morley or Peter Ustinov?

Mike

ms660 29th Oct 2021 11:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc312 (Post 1418677)
The film is 'Topkapi' - not sure which actor though, perhaps Robert Morley or Peter Ustinov?

Mike

Top gun :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Robert Morley's hand in the photo.

I found my original quiz post on the forum about this and other films with radio bits, it was back in 2016, nobody back then got the Topkapi one.

Lawrence.

bc312 29th Oct 2021 11:46 am

It was the first clue Lawrence and a bit of Googling that did it. :idea:

Mike

dave walsh 29th Oct 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks for the Radio 4 reminder Graham and Mike [339 340*. I'd picked up on the title during my media watch but not really followed through on the "frequency" pun! I will now!

Dave W

theoldtrout 29th Oct 2021 8:49 pm

Re: Vintage on telly

I watched 'Vigil' on catch up and noticed two Tektronix 7844 mainframe oscilloscopes in the captain's cabin, one of which was upside down!

nigelr2000 21st Nov 2021 11:09 pm

Tonight's doctor who (21/11/2021 Village of the angels) contains a brilliant gaff, an Ultra Tape recorder with the feed reel loaded upside down so the reel rotates in the wrong direction, who would have thought the beeb wouldn't know how to load a tape recorder, very short video of it here filmed off my laptop so not great quality ******************************CJnk3CxjWkGf5ap8A

bobhowe 26th Dec 2021 7:52 pm

Bush DAC90 On Call The Midwife 2019 Christmas Special

Hi watching the above program on Drama Channel & there is a Bush DAC90 with a bright dial lamp has this set had an Ed Dinning Auto Transformer fitted ? ;D

Ed_Dinning 26th Dec 2021 7:56 pm

Re: Bush DAC90 On Call The Midwife 2019 Christmas Special

If it powered up instantly then most likely a 60W lamp and bluetooth inside !

Ed

bobhowe 26th Dec 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Ed it was switched on in the background hope the bluetooth mob have not been at it

murphyv310 26th Dec 2021 8:20 pm

Hi.
Bob they are rarely original.
I've a V4 TV chassis coming to me from a collector who was given it from BBC Scotland, they had fitted a 14 inch portable inside the cabinet, I've already got the tube and scan coils that look very much unused.

bobhowe 26th Dec 2021 9:06 pm

Hi Trevor you are right the H & S police would not let anything to be used on TV unless it was PAT tested are you going to feature the V4 TV chassis when you get around to do it

murphyv310 26th Dec 2021 10:20 pm

Hi Bob.
No idea. There is no cabinet and my V4 has traceable history to the early 60s. I think it'll be a donor chassis for parts TBH.

bobhowe 26th Dec 2021 10:52 pm

Hi Trevor at least it keeps a good set working :thumbsup:

Graham G3ZVT 27th Dec 2021 12:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning (Post 1435015)

Ed

No need for Bluetooth, they always dub the sound in the editing room.

MurphyNut 28th Dec 2021 11:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning (Post 1435015)

Ed

I find it amusing how they go to great pains to get everything right for the period but constantly get the radios wrong.
I point this out to my wife and she tells me to shut-up! ;D

Valvepower 28th Dec 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 653071)
I don't normally take much notice, but on BBC4 last night, on a programme about the 60s, an elderly "Rocker" was playing a bass guitar through an equally elderly Murphy Baffle.

Hello,

Just came upon this thread as there has been some recent activity – thus flagging it up – however, and quite strangely, I came in at page 1 post #20 (as the above quote).

Anyway, post #20, dating back to Jan 2014, mentions an elderly "Rocker" playing a bass guitar through a Murphy Baffle Radio.

This could have been Mo Foster as in his books 17 Watts, which later became British Rock Guitar, he talks about playing his bass through a Murphy 188 Baffle Radio – there is also photo of the baffle radio in the book. Also, I feel Mo Foster could be easily described ‘respectfully’ as an elderly "Rocker"… and a mighty fine Bass player :)

I have made reference to Mo’s books in the recent amplifier articles in the BVWS bulletin.

Hope I’ve not veered off subject too much.

Regards
Terry

Richard_FM 28th Dec 2021 3:31 pm

I heard of Peter Hook using an old record player as a practice amplifier as he couldn't afford a proper bass amp.

raditechman 3rd Jan 2022 2:42 pm

Watching the 1971 film of "Dads Army" on TV during Christmas there is a Phillips 930 used as a prop when Captain Mannering and team visit a radio shop to hear a news item.

John

Buzby123 3rd Jan 2022 5:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a radio that was in the background of a TV programme. I can't remember what the name of the programme was, but it was about a man in a shed restoring something. I think it might have been china or glass.

RojDW48 15th Mar 2022 12:50 am

Ekco Festival of Britain model on the telly!

1 Attachment(s)
Did anyone else notice the rather stylish Ecko push button radio from 1951 on 'The Ipcress File' the other night? I resurrected one about 10 years ago.

joebog1 15th Mar 2022 3:16 am

Re: Ecko Festival of Britain model on the telly!

err hmmm looks very like an electric fan heater.

Soory Roj :-)

Joe

thermionic 15th Mar 2022 7:45 am

Re: Ekco Festival of Britain model on the telly!

Yes, I did. Wonderful!

Except they spoilt it ( as per usual ) by the almost immediate arrival of sound after switching it on! How can they keep getting this so wrong?

Simon T.

high_vacuum_house 15th Mar 2022 9:02 am

I had one of those in the past. The tuning is 3 or 4 preset switches with indicator lamps behind the little windows on the L/H side of the speaker grille. Mine had a bad attack of woodworm and the knobs went a rather funny shape as if the plastic started to decompose!! I think I gave it to someone else!!

Christopher Capener

HamishBoxer 15th Mar 2022 9:06 am

Spotted that last night, I have one here in my collection. All pre selected stations of course. Were they for the "Britain Can Make It" exhibition?

cheerfulcharlie 15th Mar 2022 10:49 am

Re: Talking Pictures TV -heads up

One for you - I wondered if you spotted the burglar police autodialer the other week in the delightful old crime show
DIAL 999?
Blimey what a contraption! Basically, the burglars broke a beam which set off a vinyl record to drop onto a platter and needle drop down and then a mechanical claw rotary dialled 999 on the phone, the record then said something like "hello Bloggs warehouse here, help!!, we are being burgled" .or something like that.
Of course, the very cool Inspector Maguire was there in 5 minutes.

Love it.

RojDW48 15th Mar 2022 3:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishBoxer (Post 1456471)
Spotted that last night, I have one here in my collection. All pre selected stations of course. Were they for the "Britain Can Make It" exhibition?

Designed for the 1951 Festival of Britain I think.

MurphyNut 15th Mar 2022 9:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojDW48 (Post 1456446)
Did anyone else notice the rather stylish Ecko push button radio from 1951 on 'The Ipcress File' the other night? I resurrected one about 10 years ago.

Yes, I spotted that one, I have one in my collection too, nice set!

Graham G3ZVT 15th Mar 2022 11:33 pm

Re: Talking Pictures TV -heads up

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie (Post 1456484)
One for you - I wondered if you spotted the burglar police autodialer the other week in the delightful old crime show
DIAL 999?
Blimey what a contraption! Basically, the burglars broke a beam which set off a vinyl record to drop onto a platter and needle drop down and then a mechanical claw rotary dialled 999 on the phone, the record then said something like "hello Bloggs warehouse here, help!!, we are being burgled" .or something like that.
Of course, the very cool Inspector Maguire was there in 5 minutes.

Love it.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=188396

Defiantly "Fair cop guv'nor, you got me bang to rights" territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0twYRgSQN0&t=437s

Welsh Anorak 16th Mar 2022 2:13 pm

Ref post #373 - I think most sound engineers and even directors would know that a valve radio needs to warm up. However the dramatic tension would be spoiled if everyone had to wait around for what seems like ages, so a compromise is reached.

A similar situation arises when dialling out on a telephone. I believe early films (especially American) had the dial return speeded up. The usual solution, of course, is to use a cutaway while the number is being dialled. Spare a thought for the production team - we'd be the first to complain if an STD number was reached in four or five turns of the dial!

paulsherwin 23rd Mar 2022 5:09 pm

There was a Dynatron 'Queen Anne' style 70s stereogram on Bargain Hunt today - I didn't get a good look and am not a Dynatron expert, but it looked like an SRX20 with a Mk4 or 5 SP25. Nobody seemed to have a clue what it was, including the original trader AND the professional auctioneer who eventually catalogued and auctioned it! One of the 'experts' described it as a 'Garrard record player' - 'Garrard, yes, that's a good make'. The seller confessed that it 'might need attention to the speakers', whatever that meant.

The BH contestants bought it for £32 and it sold at auction for £50, which seemed about right to me despite the universal ignorance on display.

Welsh Anorak 24th Mar 2022 11:21 am

Machines used in The Ipcress File

Hi
I've been enjoying The Ipcress File and despite a couple of anachronisms, (a 'blink and you'll miss it' Grundig TK141 and what looked like a flat-bed Revox) the hero machines were pretty much on the money, including one of those little Japanese toy recorders.
However I was puzzled to see what appeared to be an industrial Brenell 5-series playing away with the take-up spool turning clockwise. I didn't know they did that! Any idea what the machine was?

barrymagrec 24th Mar 2022 12:57 pm

I haven't seen it on the film but the EMI TR50 series had the take-up spool running clockwise giving an oxide out wind.

JohnM73 24th Mar 2022 1:26 pm

Saw the ubiquitous Revox A77 fairly recently in both the John Hurt film The Shout, and the Hammer House of Horror episode Witching Time (along with other gear I’m sure some here could identify easily).

DMcMahon 26th Mar 2022 10:53 am

As referenced in this linked Thread the paranormal investigators in "The Conjuring" and also in "The Conjuring 2" are shown using a Mayfair FT-305 and a Uher 4000 Report (not sure which exact model) portable reel to reel tape recorders.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...fV1f-NfM8B4dDG

David

Brigham 28th Mar 2022 6:48 pm

I watched The Ipcress File (again) only last week, and was once again reminded that the tape of the Ipcress noise was pulled from a stove which was 'still warm'.
Surely the recording would have been erased by the heat?

Heatercathodeshort 5th Apr 2022 10:25 am

VRC52A in film.

1 Attachment(s)
A Marconi 10" VRC52A featured in a 1952 film on Talking Pictures TV this morning. '13 East Street'.' The TV appears quite a number of times in a flat. It would have been barely two years old when the film was made. John.

Heatercathodeshort 4th May 2022 10:09 am

5 Attachment(s)
'It's A Wonderful World, 1956 TPTV this morning. Product placement by DECCA, Bush and Brunswick [Decca] like you have never seen!

Bush DAC90A in cream, Decca radiogram model 98/99, Decca DMCD17 television, Decca Deccalian record player, Decca wind up gramophone, an unknown tape recorder, adverts for Decca and Brunswick records, and the Decca recording studios. You can watch the film on TPTV/encore. John.

Heatercathodeshort 4th May 2022 10:10 am

2 Attachment(s)
A few more pics. J.

Nickthedentist 4th May 2022 12:26 pm

Ha ha, that is just a Decca advert with a storyline shoehorned in!

Heatercathodeshort 4th May 2022 12:50 pm

I think there was more but life is too short! I think they managed to squeeze in just about every Decca model except the 'Double Decca' but I suppose it was not a current model, neither was the wind up! You can see the mess that sound box is making of that record when run backwards....J.

Brigham 5th May 2022 7:18 pm

Re: Machines used in The Ipcress File

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak (Post 1458449)
Hi
I've been enjoying The Ipcress File and despite a couple of anachronisms, (a 'blink and you'll miss it' Grundig TK141 and what looked like a flat-bed Revox) ...

Isn't The IPCRESS File in a contemporary setting?
Can't see how items from the future managed to get themselves on-set?

nicam49 10th May 2022 10:48 pm

Spotted this in the recent ' Ipcress File' on ITV

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't believe my eyes! I had one of those in 1962, bought from Henry's Radio, Edgware Road (?) London for £4.19/6d. Came with a crystal mic, had 3inch spools and no capstain, which didn't bother this 12 year old! Was a Christmas present. Where DO the props suppliers get their stuff from..... where has it been all those years and in such good condition?

Superscope 11th May 2022 9:55 am

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't seen the Ipcress File in years, and the gear probably
wasn't vintage when I last saw it.

The Picture posted by nicam49 though, jumped out at me.
I have the exact same RIM drive Tape Machine.

Ian

Heatercathodeshort 11th May 2022 12:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The Decca 98 radiogram featured in the film. [6L6G output] J.

nicam49 14th May 2022 11:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superscope (Post 1469724)
I haven't seen the Ipcress File in years, and the gear probably
wasn't vintage when I last saw it.

The Picture posted by nicam49 though, jumped out at me.
I have the exact same RIM drive Tape Machine.

Ian

Hi Ian, the Ipcress File being mentioned is the ITV serialised version of it... shown earlier this year. That tape recorder of yours is in amazing condition for its age!

Brigham 18th May 2022 1:03 pm

One of the benefits of not having Television is that I don't hear about things I mistakenly might want to watch!
A serial of The Ipcress File sounds good. If it comes out on DVD, I'll investigate whether to buy it.

red16v 18th May 2022 3:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigham (Post 1471290)
One of the benefits of not having Television is that I don't hear about things I mistakenly might want to watch!
A serial of The Ipcress File sounds good. If it comes out on DVD, I'll investigate whether to buy it.

If you have internet access it is available on the ITV Hub website - no cost involved.

Doghouse Riley 18th May 2022 5:29 pm

I don't know which film, or even if it was in a film, but I like it.

[img]********************FBg3Y6c/Record-Man-Humphrey-Bogart-zps2403a27b.jpg[/img]

Brigham 18th May 2022 6:05 pm

Pathé, but I don't know what model.