UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ferguson 705T Picture Request (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95399)

Mikey405 14th Apr 2013 7:50 am

Ferguson 705T Picture Request

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone.

It might be a long shot but I've been contacted by somebody who is looking for a picture of a Ferguson 705T - A peculiar looking Ferguson 405 line (convertible) set from the early 1960s. I have the line drawing from the service manual but not an actual photograph.

Does anyone remember these sets? (I've never seen one in the flesh) and does anyone have a photograph of one?

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Mike Phelan 14th Apr 2013 8:35 am

Re: Ferguson 705T Picture Request

Hi Mike,

Cannot help with a pic, but where I worked in the 1960s we sold the 705 (Senator?) so I do remember them; ISTR they are the ones with a sliding channel change knob and a huge V/C knob that wore out the pot.

I'm sure John HKS will either have one or will fill in the details for you as his memory is 100% better than mine ;)

Colourstar 14th Apr 2013 10:08 am

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike

I've never seen one in the 'flesh' either, but I do have the range brochure. Italian-inspired design, apparently. Very 1961.

Hope this helps. I can email the images to you direct if you PM me your address.

Cheers!
Steve ;)

Colourstar 14th Apr 2013 10:16 am

1 Attachment(s)
Also this, top left, from ERT early 1962.

Mikey405 14th Apr 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks Mike and Steve.

Those pictures are excellent Steve - I'll PM you my email address now. :)

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Nicklyons2 14th Apr 2013 3:23 pm

I may be wrong here; but years & years ago I'm sure I repaired one of these and it had a motorised tuner, set off on it's search by a big oblong push button on the top right of that control 'facade'. I do remember it gave a very good picture and being quite 'drawn' to the design.

Boom 14th Apr 2013 4:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 (Post 601840)
I may be wrong here; but years & years ago I'm sure I repaired one of these and it had a motorised tuner

Yes the motor was a record player type one. Made one helluva racket when it went off. Connected to the set with a long cable.

Heatercathodeshort 14th Apr 2013 8:11 pm

Great Thorn receiver. 700 series chassis with the motor tuner as described. The chassis is very similar to the 600 series with very few if any faults. Worked on quite a few with it's 23" bonded tube big brother [Sylvania 23SP4] The Sylvania tube lasted about a year but the 19" Mullard, long neck AW47-90 lasted for ever. Regards, John.

ntscuser 14th Apr 2013 8:52 pm

Not criticising but the tube faceplates in the brochures look a lot flatter than I remember them?

Colourstar 14th Apr 2013 8:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 601890)
Great Thorn receiver. 700 series chassis with the motor tuner as described. The chassis is very similar to the 600 series with very few if any faults.

Out of interest, which chassis do the Golden Glide range use? Was that the first of the 'double deck' layout? I'm clear on the later 850 series onwards, but I'm a bit foggy on what went before. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Steve

FERNSEH 15th Apr 2013 12:55 am

The "Golden Glide" receiver was the model 606T. Information for this set and other 600 series receivers can be found in the 1960/61 Newnes Radio and Television servicing book. Other models were the 646T portable set and the 636T table model. The 19" model 705T "Senator" is as John mentions employs a very similar chassis. Other models in the 700 series were the 725T a 19" table receiver and the 727T 23" model. Later phase 2 versions were convertable to dual standard operation. In the phase 2 models the PY32/33 valve HT rectifier was replaced by a BY100 silicon diode. 700 and 700 phase 2 models were made from late 1961 to 1962.
The first double deck printed circuit Ferguson/Thorn TV receivers were the 500 series models which included the popular model 506T. The 1959/60 range of models.
The first double deck Thorn made TV receiver was the Marconi VT161 of 1958.
DFWB.

Mike Phelan 15th Apr 2013 8:45 am

I remember the motorised tuner now. The rear of the turret tuner had a disc with plastic oval things with a screw slot; if they were turned so they projected for a particular channel the motor stopped on that channel.

The 700 chassis was the first one with the timebases on the lower deck and signal part on the top deck.

Heatercathodeshort 15th Apr 2013 7:36 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Mike,
I think you are getting mixed up with the 'Automatic' Pye range. They did indeed have the slotted turn things.
The Ferguson 705T had a circular disc at the rear of the receiver, customer accessible, with white plastic knobs that acted as fine tuners as well as programme stops. Thorn continued with this system well into the dual standard era with motor versions of the 850/900/950 series exclusively for their rental outlets.
As David has stated the double deck Thorn chassis first appeared late in 1958 under the Marconi VT161 banner. Pictures can be seen on a recent thread that I posted on the restoration of one of these fine receivers.
In 1959 Thorn released the first 110 degree model, the 500 series an example of the chassis I have attached. This is the TV/FM version the 516T. Printed circuits are used.
In 1960/61 the fantastic 600 series appeared. The picture shows the 'Golden Glide' 606T but large screen versions were available together with a transportable and a very early 19" model.
1961/62 saw the introduction of the 700 series. Almost identical to the 600 but employing squared off 19" and 23" picture tubes.
1963 presented us with the first and only dual standard chassis using the double deck principle, the 800/850. The difficulty with dual standard switching with two separate chassis saw the introduction of the 'flat' 900 chassis thus ending the 'Double Decker'. All of these Thorn or better known 'BRC' chassis were excellent performers and very easy to repair. The early dual standard had it's problems but so did they all! Regards, John.

Colourstar 15th Apr 2013 7:49 pm

Ah, now is the 516T the one with the lovely almost black 'lozenge' shaped cabinet with (I think) two illuminated rotary controls inset in the right. One is the channel selector, the other a VHF radio tuner...

I had one in the 1990s but my memory evades me on this one. I was intrigued as it looked very much the fore-runner to the Golden Glider, having speaker panels either side of the crt. Another beauty from the 1959/60 season!

Steve

Doghouse Riley 22nd Oct 2015 11:31 am

I've just been directed to this old thread by a google search.

At the age of twenty in the early sixties, I managed a radio, TV and electrical appliance store in North London.

I remember the Ferguson 705 well, as we used to sell or rent them. They were supplied with a stand. They had a motorised turret tuner, for all of two channels, they also could come with a remote control on a long lead. Limited functions, on off, volume and channel change.
They weren't a bad set.

Same era as the notorious Ultra 1775, which usually developed a roll fault.
The cure was usually the replacement of a PCL82 valve. My engineer (of a similar age to me) when called out for that problem, would replace the valve and often make as if to go without checking it. If questioned by the renter, he'd grumble a bit, turn the set on and of course the problem was seen to be cured.

On one occasion having performed that "act," for a little old lady, he saw that the set also had a partial frame collapse, so there was a 2" gap at the top and bottom of the screen. "Why didn't you tell me about that as well?"

Apparently it had been like that for quite some time before it had started rolling and it hadn't bothered her, as she thought that was how programmes should now appear, sort of "wide screen, like the pictures."
So he fixed that too and stayed for a cup of tea and a piece of cake.

Happy days!

Heatercathodeshort 22nd Oct 2015 5:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colourstar (Post 602119)
Ah, now is the 516T the one with the lovely almost black 'lozenge' shaped cabinet with (I think) two illuminated rotary controls inset in the right. One is the channel selector, the other a VHF radio tuner...Steve

Hello Steve,
Yes you are right! The 516T is as you describe. This example came off the tip years ago but it worked when I plugged it in!
I have only removed the back to discover it appears to have been very reliable. No repairs can be detected.
It is exactly as found, original.

This was the base model the 700 series was developed from. The Senator was indeed a very good television with a real style that would fit into most living rooms. Another Ferguson that customers loved! Regards, John.

FERNSEH 22nd Oct 2015 8:49 pm

Didn't the Senator 705T appear in 1961 as a 405 only model and a year later as the phase II 405/625 convertible receiver?
So it follows that the early production 705T models used a chassis similar to the one fitted in the "Golden Glide" model 606T. The HT rectifier was the Mullard PY32 The phase II convertible models employed a BY100 silicon diode for HT rectification. Timebase switching was added along with the chassis mounted socket for the 625 conversion unit.
I reckon Ferguson never made a bad set. The owner always got the full eight to ten year life from the set.

DFWB.

FERNSEH 23rd Oct 2015 6:01 pm

Service information for the 405 line only and convertible phase II versions of the 705T can be found the 1961/62 Radio and Television servicing book. Pages 331 thru to 340.

DFWB.

Colourstar 23rd Oct 2015 7:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 794404)
Hello Steve,
Yes you are right! The 516T is as you describe. This example came off the tip years ago but it worked when I plugged it in! I have only removed the back to discover it appears to have been very reliable. No repairs can be detected.
It is exactly as found, original.

Hi John. Since this thread appeared a couple of years ago I've acquired a 516T, which currently languishes on the 'to do' pile. It's a twin speaker design and someone has pinched one of them! I'm surprised yours is on it's original caps as they are a motley selection of sticky 'toffee' types and lots of those those black Hunts 'mouldeals' that crack and split open, especially on the top deck.

Steve