UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mid-80s 14 inch TV sets (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119489)

mlynn1974 12th Sep 2015 2:11 am

Mid-80s 14 inch TV sets

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first post, but I hope you guys will be able to clear up something for me.

About 1986 my friend got a 14" Solovox TV in the UK, primarily to use his ZX Spectrum in colour. It had a nice champagne coloured case. It had a very picture and sound for the Sinclair +2. No remote control, no Scart.

In 1987 I got a similar model branded Tashiko from Granada but with a remote control. Recently I saw an identical Goodmans branded model of the same TV!

Does anyone know the background on this type of TV?
Who made the chassis? And why was no scart included at that time?

MALC SCOTT 12th Sep 2015 11:43 am

Re: mid-80s 14 inch TV sets

Looks like a Sanyo?

vidjoman 12th Sep 2015 12:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlynn1974 (Post 785631)
And why was no scart included at that time?

Although initially used in France in the 80's it wasn't until about the 90's that it became a regular fitting on European TV's. Foreign made sets would only fit them if the badge supplier (Goodmans or whoever) wanted it.

michamoo 12th Sep 2015 4:22 pm

I have also seen that set badged as a "Boots" model. Think they used an Orion chassis but its quite a while ago

Maarten 12th Sep 2015 5:02 pm

Type number XT3702, probably?

I don't seem to remember which Chinese manufacturer made it. Possibly Xoceco.

Alternatively, if it isn't the one I remember it has another model number, something with 1488. In that case it may be a Kong Wah (Onwa).

Pictures of the inside, including silk screened or copper etched numbers on the PCB, might help to jog my memory.

Definitely no Sanyo or Orion.

John123 12th Sep 2015 5:37 pm

I used to play Spectrum on an identical one branded 'Osaki' (Rumbelows?). It had a very nice picture, I think the tube was Samsung. I remember it used to make this weird pulsing sound when you'd switch it off at the wall!

Maarten 13th Sep 2015 12:51 am

The 1478/1488 may not be a Kong Wah design, but they did have the same electrolytic going open in the power supply, causing various supplies to go high. It usually took out the 2SA1013/2SC2335 standby switch combo, but sometimes the HOT, a zener diode and/or the vertical deflection were also blown. Any of those sound familiar?

In any case it would help to have some model numbers and maybe an inside pic.

mlynn1974 13th Sep 2015 2:22 am

Thanks for all your feedback! Excellent info.

I understand about the Scart socket. Even when the Atari ST came along it had a very good picture for 640*200 even through RF.

I no longer have my Tashiko so I can't get any PCB pictures. I sold it about 1994 but I had to get a picture to help me remember it. When my mum and dad got a new Sanyo TV downstairs I got their 21" Tashiko FST. I replaced that in 1997 with a Panasonic TX21MD4 which is still going strong at my mother in law's spare room.

So in summary this design seems to have been sold as:
Solovox = Comet
Tashiko = Granada
Goodmans = Comet\Argos (Probably)
Osaki = Rumbelows

I seem to remember it making 'ding' sounds when it was cooling down after being switched off at night.

AC/HL 13th Sep 2015 3:00 am

Re: Mid-80s 14 inch TV sets

Hi mlynn
One minor point, the Comet brand was Solavox, you may have more success searching that.

mlynn1974 13th Sep 2015 11:48 am

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, good point. It is Solavox

I couldn't find a picture of the earlier champagne coloured model online. It didn't have a remote control sensor and it had a slider for the volume.

I stayed in a hotel in 2005 which actually had a Goodmans still working.

Nickthedentist 13th Sep 2015 7:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Also sold as Crown.

G6Tanuki 13th Sep 2015 8:05 pm

From memory, there was an EU ruling in the early-1980s that required SCART sockets to be provided on all TVs above a certain size - and this was bigger than 14-inches!

gec2110 17th Sep 2015 4:46 pm

Did these sets also have the Perdio name as well?

Welsh Anorak 23rd Sep 2015 1:38 pm

I think they were also Nikkai badged and possibly made by Onwa. The main fault we had was the standby transformer going open on the primary; I'm sure we got another make to fit. Otherwise not a bad set - sort of downmarket Hitachi 1446.

Clydeuk 23rd Sep 2015 3:23 pm

I encountered a lot of these sets, the remote control versions had a habit of randomly changing channel by themselves - I never did figure out the cause.

I think this was one of the sets that suffered the green spot on the scanning yoke caused by the rubber wedges deteriorating and releasing a corrosive substance. I wrote off a lot of sets for that problem.

mlynn1974 30th Sep 2015 5:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydeuk (Post 788064)
I encountered a lot of these sets, the remote control versions had a habit of randomly changing channel by themselves

Yes mine did that a couple of times. It was still in good condition when I sold it for about £50 in 1993. I got a monitor for my Atari ST and the old 21" Tashiko FST from downstairs.

pichacker 13th Oct 2015 9:08 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Ever had one of those days where you simply should not have got out of bed?

I've had a similar set to those shown, branded Nikkai, that I bought in the early 90's from SEME and was in daily use as my workshop monitor until about 20:30 this evening....

It developed a leak in the LOPT and let out vast quantities of the magic smoke.

Shame really as it had full synthesis tuning with a remote that you could directly enter the channel number with. Tube was still a cracker.

Luckily tomorrow is bin day and it's time to say goodbye.???

pichacker 13th Oct 2015 9:47 pm

And to answer the question... "What would have happened had I not been there?" Well, as it was destined for disposal I plugged it back in again and ran it. The smoke kept coming accompanied by a frying bacon sound. This lasted about 2 minutes before it all stopped and the PSU made a low pitched squeal. I guess the HT line was heavily loaded.

So to the manufacturers of this set a big "well done" in a fail safe construction and choice of component materials.

1955APREN 13th Oct 2015 10:19 pm

hi
just to say this set also appeared with matsui name on it (currys) I think Mod No was 1488
Regards Derrick

Clydeuk 14th Oct 2015 12:24 am

That set looks similar to a Binatone badged one I remember in the 90's. If it is the same set I'm surprised it lasted so long as even back then, every one I saw the LOPTx had failed in the same way as yours. I don't remember ever seeing one that worked!