UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Friedland Westminster 8 note door chime (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184343)

TonoLen 30th Sep 2021 7:38 pm

Friedland Westminster 8 note door chime

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I've just found (after hours of fruitless googling) the forum and the posts re the Friedland Westminster 8 note door chime. I'm trying to wire up the one I got from my late father but am unsure of the way to do it. The system has it's own Venner 16v transformer but I'm unsure if it's prewired to the chimes and where the 240 in should be. I've attached a couple of images and would appreciate a bit of advice
All the best,
Tony.

Graham G3ZVT 30th Sep 2021 9:14 pm

Re: Friedland Westminster 8 note door chime

Hi Tony,
Unlike conventional door chimes, this one requires the 16v AC to be permanently and directly wired from the transformer, to the terminals marked "TRAN" on the chime.

Bridging the PUSH 1 terminals with a screwdriver for a second should start the sequence, so that's where you wire the bell-push.

Post a picture of the transformer connections if you're not sure how to wire it.

PS,
re-reading your post and the PM you sent earlier I suspect you may be under a misapprehension.
The round Venner inside the chime is a 16v synchronous motor not a transformer (I've never seen a Venner bell transformer)

The original transformer probably branded Friedland but not necessarily , would have been located elseware in the original installation, typically it would be installed next to the fuse-box or consumer unit.

If you haven't got the transformer one could be easily and cheaply be found that will work.

TonoLen 2nd Oct 2021 12:00 pm

Hi Graham, I think you're right! I'll source a transformer and see how i get on. (sorry for posting the pics again, I'm still finding my way round the forum)
Tony
son of the late
G4CRM

a quick update.....I've found a 12.5 v transformer which will trigger full chime when i link Tran to Push 1. Do I wire the bell push to these 2 points? should i link the 2 and 3 push terminals? Also i have an illuminated bell push, it tells me to 'read the instructions carefully'!
thanks for all your advice, i feel i'm getting close....

Graham G3ZVT 2nd Oct 2021 1:39 pm

Excellent, sounds like you've got it cracked then!

No connections are needed to PUSH 2 and PUSH 3 they simply produce a single bong when someone is at the back door or servants' entrance respectively ;)

The rotary switch on mine got totally worn out so I used a [philistine alert] microprocessor chip and programmed it to play the full 16 note sequence.

https://youtu.be/PIwZuu1fK-c

This also solved a problem with these bells, perhaps you noticed at your dad's house, the caller needs to keep the push pressed for about a second, or else the motor might not continue running.

Actually in an earlier iteration, I had already solved the above problem with a relay, diode and capacitor. Let me know if you find this is a problem.

Herald1360 2nd Oct 2021 3:22 pm

Wot? No variation of the the chimes to sound the quarters?

;D

TonoLen 2nd Oct 2021 3:33 pm

Looking good now; all i've got to do is find the best route for the transformer wiring (old house, very thick stone walls) and see if i need to leave a 'long push' sign on the bell push. I'll let you know when it's done
Thanks again
Tony

Graham G3ZVT 2nd Oct 2021 5:36 pm

"Push Hard" was the instruction I remember when I did house calls. Obviously the harder you push the louder the bell...

ColinB 3rd Oct 2021 8:47 pm

Best of luck...

I struggle to get anyone calling at my house to ring the doorbell at all, never mind follow written instructions on its use :D

Sorry, I may be slightly prejudiced, now being on the second brand new (wired) bell, and third brand new wired bell push in less than 18 months.

When the last one simply stopped working, I 'went nuclear' and fitted one of these. It remains to be seen how long this lasts until it fills with water and dies, but ironically, since installation, no one has called here.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Masterplug-...-Grey/p/117855

BTW, ignore the nonsense product description and reviews, it is definitely a momentary 'push-to-make' ;)

Graham G3ZVT 3rd Oct 2021 9:15 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the bell-push that operates my Westminster Chime, I reckon it's about 110 years old, if it was much older, the legend would probably say PULL.

Brigham 4th Oct 2021 6:41 pm

Bell PULLS are a better idea.

None of this Eleck-Trickery nonsense.

The Philpott 5th Oct 2021 4:03 pm

- Yes, and if the string breaks you can attach a note to the end saying 'please knock'
(ref- carry on screaming)

I like the old clockwork doorbells- but some of them were loud enough to give you palpitations..
Dave

Guest 5th Oct 2021 4:23 pm

Quote:

I like the old clockwork doorbells
I got a new one not so long ago, the mechanism is plastic, well engineered, and looks like it will last for ages. I unscrew the bell for quite mode.

ColinB 6th Oct 2021 6:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1152 (Post 1411499)
Here's the bell-push that operates my Westminster Chime, I reckon it's about 110 years old, if it was much older, the legend would probably say PULL.

Nice! They don't make 'em like that anymore :)

Herald1360 8th Oct 2021 2:01 pm

Oh yes they do.....

https://www.ukaa.com/antique-style-d...ak-plinth-7479

Though you can get just the push for about 25% as much!