UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Telequipment D34 Scope (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172354)

Old Grump 22nd Oct 2020 8:03 pm

Telequipment D34 Scope

I have just done a repair on my old Telequipment D34 and now need to check/set up the presets on the CRT driver board ( I replaced a couple of charred presets due to a wire having come off and touched where it shoudnt )
Would anybody have the calibration instructions for this scope , I have the circuit diagram but sadly not the whole manual.

Diabolical Artificer 24th Oct 2020 7:56 am

Re: Telequipment D34 Scope

Sorry, don't have that info,does the schematic not have the voltages on it? Do you have a trace? I found the schematics for a D32, here - https://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloa...pment_D32.html which looks similar, which gives 2.4kv for the dag,-560v for the cathode,300mV P-P for the calibrator, you'll need a HV probe to take the dag reading.

For now set presets to halfway and it should be about right. I don't think you'll find a proper service manual, Tekwiki doesn't have one, WME Bill on here, just might have one if your lucky.

Andy.

WME_bill 24th Oct 2020 9:50 am

Telequipment D34.
All I have is the circuit diagram of the D34, without any note of the semiconductor or CRT type numbers. It is clearly an uprated D32, for which I do have the complete manual.
I suspect the rest of the operating and setup conditions will be the same, except that as the D34 uses a different cathode ray tube, the operating voltages will be different, so Andy's offered tube voltages will not be helpful.
Perhaps if you could tell me what the tube type number is, I can look up my data and provide you with the typical operating conditions, which are likely to have been followed.
It is interesting to see that the tube is apparently directly heated with a hum-bucking adjustment, presumably to allow a lower heater current, useful for a battery operated scope. A most unusual feature, if appearances are correct.
wme_bill.

Alistair D 24th Oct 2020 11:57 am

1 Attachment(s)
I thought that the D34 manual was commonly available.

I have attached a copy of the full calibration procedure.

Al

Chris55000 24th Oct 2020 2:48 pm

Hi!

I have a complete D34 Manual which I shall scan over the next week whilst at work!

There's no A3 foldouts to worry about in it so an ordinary A4 printer can be used to print it!

Unfortunately TQ didn't provide PCB layout diagrams in either the D32 or D34 Manuals, and I've not the spare time to de-populate and scan the two large PCBs in this just at the moment I'm afraid!

Chris Williams

PS!

When I received my D34 there was still power in the rechargeable batteries when I tested it, so I'll take a photo of them when I get time to dismantle mine! The CRT is a T450 of Tektronix manufacture, and even their "CRT Reference Book" doesn't list it - I was looking for the CRT data myself! The D32 uses a more conventional indirectly-heated CRT.

Alistair D 24th Oct 2020 3:53 pm

The tube listed in my issue 5 manual is a TEK 3350. Hope that helps.

Al

MotorBikeLes 24th Oct 2020 7:50 pm

I have an idea I have some more info on D34 somewhere, I will check.
I do have the basic specs in a catalogue somewhere.
I have been looking out for a D34 for myself for a few decades, but no luck so far.
Chris, I believe the batteries have leaked and ruined main boards a few times, so I would get your batteries out tous de suit.
Les.

Chris55000 24th Oct 2020 9:27 pm

Evening Les!

Thanks for your tip - I'll examine them tomorrow!

Can they corrode everything around them even tho' they're still producing enough power to operate the oscilloscope?

Chris Williams

MotorBikeLes 24th Oct 2020 10:00 pm

Chris, I just know somebody had a D34 with corroded main board. I think it was BER.
I have come across boards with the little 1.2v memory cells, with serious corrosion damage. I have repaired them by by digging up corroded traces and replacing with insulated wires. Some times you need to dig out the board if it is a high impedance circuit. Others scrap them.
S22, D32 and D34.
S22 is a 5MHz single trace scope, 1.2KV acceleration voltage, so likely mono-accelerator.
D32, 10MHz, dual trace. 3Kv, so probably a pda tube.
D34, 15 MHz, dual trace, 9Kv, so clearly a pda type.
They are all mains, or internal 6 off rechargeable "D" cells
Les.

Alistair D 27th Oct 2020 9:28 pm

After scanning and posting the calibration instructions earlier I was asked if I could scan the whole manual. After a bit of faffing to get the file size down I have now sorted it. At 6MB it is way too large to post here so PM me with an email address and I will send out a copy.

My own D34 has a couple of enhancements fitted. These are Option 8 EXT X input and Option 10 Variable sweep speed. Luckily I had the manuals for these. Both have been scanned and appended to the main manual.

Al

Pinörkel 28th Oct 2020 7:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alistair D (Post 1304323)
After scanning and posting the calibration instructions earlier I was asked if I could scan the whole manual. After a bit of faffing to get the file size down I have now sorted it. At 6MB it is way too large to post here so PM me with an email address and I will send out a copy.

Hello. If you want me to do so, I could upload the file to TekWiki to be available for everyone. They also accept much bigger files, since they prefer quality before small file sizes.

Denis

Alistair D 28th Oct 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks for the offer Denis. I already have the email address to post the documents to. At the moment I have 3 items to send but one is not quite complete.I will hang fire until sort the last document out.

Al

Diabolical Artificer 30th Oct 2020 7:08 am

My voltages etc were a stab in the dark after the thread got 100's of views but no answers, just trying to help, but OP hasn't been back since posting. Often if someone posts on an longish empty thread soon everyone follows.

Andy.

Alistair D 20th Nov 2020 2:03 am

The full D34 manual + options 8 and 10 sub manuals are now available on Tekwiki.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Telequipment_D34

Al

trh01uk 20th Nov 2020 9:51 am

Having championed the business of making data/manuals for electronic equipment available, since I became vmars archivist back in 2002, I am delighted to follow this thread, which has resulted in yet another manual emerging from "a dark cupboard" into the public domain.

I've often pointed out to people that bits of electronics - with no manual or data - are really no more than a pile of bits. Sometimes we can't even guess what the thing is meant to do - though that's obviously not the case with a D34 scope!

Richard

Alistair D 20th Nov 2020 11:06 am

In actual fact, as well as the D34 manual I also sent over the TQ V5 manual and my notes on the V2.

Al

Pinörkel 20th Nov 2020 1:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alistair D (Post 1312371)
In actual fact, as well as the D34 manual I also sent over the TQ V5 manual and my notes on the V2.

Al

Thank you very much for all the scanning work. :thumbsup:
Funny to see that the layout of the circuit diagram on page 16 of the V5 manual looks almost identical to my circuit diagram of the 067-0672-00 vertical calibration unit.