UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EAR De-Luxe Record Player (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192483)

Bigears 3rd Jul 2022 5:06 pm

EAR De-Luxe Record Player

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
I have a Electric Audio Reproducers De-Luxe 1962 Record Player.
When I fired it up this component " Sparked and Smoked " Please view picture, any suggestion and help is welcome

Radio Wrangler 3rd Jul 2022 5:34 pm

Re: EAR De-Luxe Record Player

The component mounted right at the right side? below the metal rectifier?

It isn't really in the photograph so we can't see what it is. Best guess is that it looks like another metal rectifier (as if one of them isn't trouble enough)

David

Ed_Dinning 3rd Jul 2022 6:21 pm

Hi, running up with a lamp limiter may help identify which parts are actually faulty without the pyrotechnic displays.
It should be quite easy to fix

Ed

buggies 3rd Jul 2022 7:02 pm

It looks to me like the large resistor has been overcooked rather than the rectifier.
And maybe the rectifier would have smelt stronger?

ms660 3rd Jul 2022 7:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
If it's of any use, in another thread for an E.A.R. De-luxe record player I reverse engineered a schematic as best I could at that time from photo's that the OP posted in that thread, it gives component values where known, note that although there were two selenium rectifiers as shown in those photo's I lumped them together and showed them as MR1 in that reverse engineered schematic.

Any errors then guilty as charged.

The reverse engineered schematic referred to above is attached.

Link to that particular thread is here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=152663&page=3

Lawrence.

DMcMahon 3rd Jul 2022 8:32 pm

Yes the large resistor certainly looks well cooked. From photo in link above looks like it is the 100 Ohm green wire wound resistor.

David

Bigears 3rd Jul 2022 8:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggies (Post 1482338)
It looks to me like the large resistor has been overcooked rather than the rectifier.
And maybe the rectifier would have smelt stronger?

I saw the sparks and smoke coming from that Rectifier in the picture.

Station X 3rd Jul 2022 8:39 pm

Resistors don't cook unless they carry excess current due to a fault elsewhere. I suggest the OP gets his meter out and tests all resistors and the rectifier before "firing up" again.

Lucien Nunes 3rd Jul 2022 8:48 pm

How long since it was last used? If not recently, have the main electrolytics been reformed and/or tested before powering up?

Metal rectifier failure through old age is common but not inevitable and does not typically result in fireworks. They, like resistors, are easily cooked by problems downstream.

John10b 4th Jul 2022 9:06 am

So what is the component to the right of the metal rectifier, another metal rectifier ?
John

DMcMahon 4th Jul 2022 10:03 am

From photos and associated comments in Lawrence's linked Thread it does appear to be.

In fact it is the one that the arrow in Post # 1 of this Thread appears to be pointing to, i.e. the one that sparked/smoked.

David

Station X 4th Jul 2022 10:07 am

For some reason these players used two rectifiers in a parallel as seen in the thread linked to by Lawrence above.

In view of the sparking I'd be inclined to replace both with a single 1N4007 diode and a series resistor.

After checking for problems downstream of course!

Bigears 4th Jul 2022 7:58 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
Here are some more pictures of the EAR De-Luxe Record Player, George is right that resistor looks well cooked, but it was like that before I fired it up.
also I've up- loaded a picture of the same model from this site and if you look at the one of mine to compare it would seem that there is a missing component, may be a Cap just below the speaker , it would seem I have my work cut out, however it will keep me busy, Is it possible any one could draw up a list of the things that I need to do, and going by the pictures with component I need to replace.
Thank you all for your help Regards Ken

Bigears 4th Jul 2022 8:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures EAR De-Luxe Record Player

Edward Huggins 4th Jul 2022 8:41 pm

You need to replace that Plessey yellow/red cap. Remove the 2 metal contact-cooled rectifiers and the burned resistor. Then as suggested in Post #12, add a diode and a 150 ohm 10 watt resistor. This record player is capable of giving 6-8 watts of extremely good sound - especially through that large EMI 9" x 5" speaker. However, do bear in mind that it will run quite hot due to its design.

peter_sol 4th Jul 2022 8:44 pm

I would imagine that cap is there because one of the sections in the metal can needed replacing

In other words, yours doesn't have anything missing.

Chris R 4th Jul 2022 8:49 pm

I'm surprised that EAR used two rectifiers in parallel. I assume a single one could not supply the desired current. The problem comes when one of them fails and the load is placed on the remaining one.
The 'cooked' resistor looks like a higher wattage carbon item. Other makers frequently used them as a surge limiter (usually around 100 ohms). They often have the paint flaking off them, but they seem to soldier on.
I agree with the idea of a single 1N4007 and wirewound surge limiter resistor.

Chris R

DMcMahon 4th Jul 2022 8:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigears (Post 1482664)
Hi Guys
I've up- loaded a picture of the same model from this site and if you look at the one of mine to compare it would seem that there is a missing component, may be a Cap just below the speaker

Do you mean photo 5 in Post 13 where the capacitor appears not to be there ?

From Lawrence's reverse engineered schematic it appears to be C7, yours of course has the capacitor so no issue with that.

David

Bigears 5th Jul 2022 11:01 am

Thanks all regards ken

Bigears 5th Jul 2022 3:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 1482678)
You need to replace that Plessey yellow/red cap. Remove the 2 metal contact-cooled rectifiers and the burned resistor. Then as suggested in Post #12, add a diode and a 150 ohm 10 watt resistor. This record player is capable of giving 6-8 watts of extremely good sound - especially through that large EMI 9" x 5" speaker. However, do bear in mind that it will run quite hot due to its design.

Edward the Yellow/Red cap is red at one end and Black at the other I cant see any markings to state which is Negative or positive