UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96824)

Station X 29th Oct 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

They should have employed Edward Huggins as a technical consultant.

RojDW48 12th Jan 2018 3:58 pm

There was a quite respectable horror film on TV recently called 'Stoker'. Featured Nicole Kidman, wondering where she had left the script, Matthew Goode pretending to be the American psychotic Uncle Charlie and a Quad 22 FM tuner - in several shots, on top of a cupboard, not apparently connected to anything which would respond to bit of FM. What an odd prop!

newlite4 21st Jan 2018 9:09 pm

Roberts Revival - call the midwife

Just switched over to Call the Midwife on BBC1 and in the first scene in the kitchen of Nonatus House the news is coming from a cream Roberts Revival with the top push buttons. It would not have been too difficult to have sourced an original example given that there are normally a few at most car boots each Sunday.
Neil

michamoo 21st Jan 2018 9:14 pm

Re: Roberts Revival - call the midwife

It's like they just can't be bothered at times! Modern Yale type locks on doors when it's supposed to be the 1920's are another..

gary_crutchley 21st Jan 2018 9:20 pm

Yes, I also spotted the radio too. Trixie Franklin actually pretended to tune it as well!

Brigham 13th Mar 2018 12:45 pm

I spotted one of those difficult to explain 'other way round' anachronisms in an episode of Gideon's Way the other night.
Jack Hedley appeared to be wearing a quartz wristwatch, with characteristic 'dead-beat' seconds hand, in February 1965!

rontech 16th Jun 2018 7:52 pm

Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

Maybe off topic a bit, but I recall an episode of a detective story set ca 1936 ( probably a Poirot one ) where a 78 rpm dance band record was played. The record was clearly an HMV bright blue label one, almost certainly of the POPnnnn series of the 1950's ( they featured Elvis and contemporary artists )

P.S. In all other respects,the period detail was excellent!

Brigham 19th Jun 2018 12:28 pm

A local arts student made a delightful compilation film of my home town '...in the Swinging Sixties', using borrowed 8mm home movie footage.
Unfortunately, she made the soundtrack 'swing' with Jimmy Dorsey, Artie Shaw...

rontech 21st Jun 2018 9:15 am

I would close my eyes and enjoy the soundtrack!

Grubhead 16th Jul 2018 12:42 am

Re: Antiques Roadshow playing 78 wrong way round

Quote:

Originally Posted by rontech (Post 1052311)
Maybe off topic a bit, but I recall an episode of a detective story set ca 1936 ( probably a Poirot one ) where a 78 rpm dance band record was played. The record was clearly an HMV bright blue label one, almost certainly of the POPnnnn series of the 1950's ( they featured Elvis and contemporary artists )

P.S. In all other respects,the period detail was excellent!

That sort of thing is common in films and TV shows.
I spotted once in a 60's based Heartbeat TV show that used late 1970's style PYE single record sleeves.

A 1960's electric doorbell in the Battle of Britain film was I think the earliest mistake I ever spotted.

arjoll 16th Jul 2018 3:53 am

1 Attachment(s)
I hardly ever contribute to these, but spot odd things.

This isn't quite the same as other examples, and has been shared elsewhere - including be me on Facebook a while ago when it aired here on Three - but according to NCIS: Los Angeles, it appears that the US nuclear missile launch sites use Commodore 64s....

Now I know they do use some pretty old tech, but somehow I don't think this is accurate.

terrybull 16th Jul 2018 6:13 am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by michamoo (Post 1010078)
It's like they just can't be bothered at times! Modern Yale type locks on doors when it's supposed to be the 1920's are another..

They doubtless are modern Yale locks but I beleive they go back a long way.

broadgage 16th Jul 2018 7:43 am

A recent episode of Foyles War featured a large country house being used for the training of spies etc.
Several modern looking self contained emergency lights may be seen over internal doorways. They have been covered up or painted to match the light green walls, but still look out of place.
One can also see the dust marks on the wall above the lights, caused by the modest but continual heat output.

Some premises did have emergency lighting then, but this consisted of standard "mains type" incandescent fittings supplied from a central battery.
And not fittings containing a battery and a miniature fluorescent tube.

Herald1360 16th Jul 2018 11:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrybull (Post 1059084)
They doubtless are modern Yale locks but I beleive they go back a long way.

The picture looks suspiciously like a Vaughan, not Yale, lock.

Though having found it online, it would seem that they were the originators of the design which only later became owned by Yale.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Muse...tteer/gazv.htm

Station X 16th Jul 2018 11:59 am

I think Yale bought the company, not the design, so they had a UK manufacturing facility.

Richard_FM 16th Jul 2018 1:58 pm

I remember spotting that doorbell in The Battle of Britain, the same house has a lifting garage door which I don't think was common for another decade or so.

Graham G3ZVT 17th Jul 2018 2:10 am

1 Attachment(s)
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this one
It's an episode of heartbeat called "Judgment Day"
This character is taping up the dial of a VTR103 so she doesn't lose the spot where she gets the police messages
Would that it were, as Robert Robinson used to say, it's a humble TR82.

https://www.itv.com/hub/heartbeat/Ya0757a0289

Peter.N. 18th Jul 2018 9:40 am

On the VHF version you could get the police band at one time.

Peter

Herald1360 23rd Jul 2018 12:46 am

Interesting. Not actually an anachronism but rather a lack of attention to detail nonetheless.

broadgage 24th Jul 2018 12:38 pm

In last nights episode of Foyles war, Foyle gives some fishing flies to an American soldier.
They are in a moulded polythene multi compartment box, as widely used today for storing small items.
Although polythene HAD been invented then, it was still expensive and in very short supply and would not have been used for low priority civilian purposes like storage boxes.