UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96824)

Graham G3ZVT 10th Nov 2020 9:16 pm

Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

You were lead to believe that all the houses on Coronation St in the 1980's had switches mounted on surface mounted boxes, yet the wiring was fully concealed.
Yes the set walls were thin, but surely the carpenters could fake something that looked more believable.

They tried to avoid trivial edits back then!

On a typical soap, each scene was recorded as a single VTR take, the first and final scene included the opening and closing credits respectively, they were not done in "post".

Richard_FM 11th Nov 2020 12:06 am

Coronation Street was live in it's early days, sometimes one episode was shown live & the other episode for that week was made right afterwards and recorded. This was so the cast & sets didn't need to re-assembled later in the week.

Crossroads was shot as live for many years, which explains the hit & miss production values.

The Philpott 2nd Dec 2020 1:45 pm

A smile moment last night on TV as the aircraft used in the cross-country low level navigation section of the (not very impressive) Dambusters documentary.....was a Diamond DA61- from Germany. (Engaged in a mock attack on the Derwent dam!)

Dave

broadgage 23rd Jan 2021 9:06 am

Last nigh'ts episode of Foyles war involved a blown fuse in the home of a lady and and this being replaced by a "friend"
The friend stated that the problem was due to someone having "fitted a 3 amp fuse to the ring main"

Don't think that ring circuits were in general use then.
And if they were, failure of the ring circuit fuse would not extinguish the lights as occurred.
And 3 amps was never a widely used size for re-wireable fuses, then or more recently.
The most common sizes were 5amp, 15 amp, and 30 amps, with 10 amps and 20 amps being less common.

McMurdo 30th Jan 2021 12:37 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

The new C4 drama 'Its a Sin'. A New York hotel room with a Ferguson 3840. Did they make a 120V NTSC version?

cathoderay57 24th Feb 2021 10:38 pm

Lucy Worsley Blitz Spirit

I'm sure that many will have watched Lucy Worsley's Blitz Spirit on BBC1 last Tuesday. A good production and a few radios on display. Maybe I'm being pedantic (surely not, I hear you say) but I thought I saw the outbreak of war broadcast being listened to on an HMV 1356 Olympic which didn't appear until 1948....… Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure someone will! Jerry

Peter.N. 25th Feb 2021 12:44 pm

Pre production model?

nigelr2000 23rd May 2021 10:21 pm

Call the midwife tonight 23/05

Did anyone else spot the 1993 Roberts R250 revival being used in the doctor's home to listen to a broadcast from the BBC, I think the program producers must be mixing it up with the original R200 from the 60's shall I email and tell them or let it lie :) hee hee

duncanlowe 24th May 2021 10:17 am

Re: Call the midwife tonight 23/05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelr2000 (Post 1377201)
Did anyone else spot the 1993 Roberts R250 revival being used in the doctor's home to listen to a broadcast from the BBC, I think the program producers must be mixing it up with the original R200 from the 60's shall I email and tell them or let it lie :) hee hee

I saw it but didn't realise it was a modern one.

bill knox 22nd Aug 2021 2:32 pm

Hi All

Just spotted this thread and it has made me laugh.

Going way back to "Heartbeat" when the village bobby used to go around on a small motor bike.

There were several shots of a Pye W15 on the back of the bike with a Cossor CC301 control unit up front, 2 very different manufactures and according to script it worked!!!!!!!!!

There were, I think in Z Cars several scenes where a Pye PF1 Transmitter was used to transmit and receive on the same unit.

Regards

Bill

Peter.N. 23rd Aug 2021 10:51 am

You may also notice that the police car radios work very well with no aerials.

Peter

Guest 23rd Aug 2021 12:38 pm

A Sweeney episode I saw had PF1's used as transceivers or so I thought, they where using the real "one box" PF1C type.

Steve G4WCS 1st Sep 2021 11:51 am

Has anyone been watching “Vigil” the submarine drama thing on BBC1? I wasn't allowed to pause it and take pictures of the telly, but for some odd reason the officers' “office” was crammed with random bits of old test equipment. Sure I spotted a Tektronix scope. R&S signal generator/comms test set, and some Marconi kit in there.

vidjoman 1st Sep 2021 11:59 am

It's available on iPlayer in UHD 4K (if you've got a 4K TV) so you can get a still shot.

Station X 1st Sep 2021 12:16 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...iesId=p09pm7jp

Steve G4WCS 1st Sep 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks graham Ill have a look.

dave walsh 1st Sep 2021 3:53 pm

Yes I saw that but the gear looked good, within the bounds of artistic license, the context and the unavailability of the plans for one of our nuclear subs:D. It reminds me of the follow up to 2001 A Space Odyssey when the Russian Spaceship is all Victorian plumbing and calculators, not computers. The real Nuclear Sub might just be screens and waving hands or eye/thought controlled!
See my other thread today re TPTV and Test Gear8-\

Dave W

Graham G3ZVT 6th Sep 2021 1:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Advance H-1 AF signal generator from 1952, teleported to an episode of "Poirot" set in the '30s.

David Simpson 13th Sep 2021 10:52 am

Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (NOT ANACHRONISMS)

Calling all ex Matelots, particularly sub-mariners - what's your views on BBC1's "Virgil" drama - Sunday nights 9pm ?
Quite an array of old test equipment, transceivers, etc., in background shots, from the 60's & 70's - Polaris era I would have thought, not Trident.

Regards, David

Phil G4SPZ 16th Jan 2022 5:39 pm

My wife was watching today’s episode of ‘Foyle’s War’ and alerted me to the presence of a wireless set in one scene. It was a 1953 Bush AC34. Yet in another scene there was a genuine pre-war Pilot Little Maestro.