UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Buzzer radio signal (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165527)

Boho Liz 8th Apr 2020 7:57 pm

The Buzzer radio signal

Hello again. I would be interested to know if the buzzer radio signal is still operating. stay safe everyone

mervyn 8th Apr 2020 8:05 pm

Re: The Buzzer radio signal

certainly is 4625khz

Merv

Radio Wrangler 8th Apr 2020 8:08 pm

Buzzing away happily on 4.625MHz

David

turretslug 9th Apr 2020 12:11 am

Yep, definitely no shortage of buzz. I don't suppose it does QSL cards, even if it had a known address. More like "Your name will also go on the list"....

Aub 9th Apr 2020 7:36 pm

Bring back Loran 😄

G6Tanuki 9th Apr 2020 7:58 pm

Hell, no! If you really want to recreate the past, I know someone who still has the [horribly expensive to the taxpayer] software he developed in the 1980s to simulate the DUGA-3 'Russian Woodpecker''s multi-Megawatt pulses in order to test various HF receivers and data-transmission gear of the era.

Alas the one-off deeply-strange ECL hardware and AMD2901-based bit-slice computer [which occupied two Eurocard chassis and had a GEC 4190D minicomputer as its control-head] is no longer in existence.

Radio Wrangler 9th Apr 2020 9:52 pm

I liked 'jingle bells' It made topband so much friendlier.

David

lesmw0sec 10th Apr 2020 9:29 am

Don't forget GEE. I recall the one at Worth Matravers which had a pulse ERP of around 100KW on 30.7 Mc/s. It spread all across the band - but at least it was a good calibration source!

hannahs radios 10th Apr 2020 4:31 pm

Sub Loran is still chirping away on 100 Kilocylcles never heard it on the HF. Bands but have known it on long wave for years

Boho Liz 10th Apr 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks everyone! Just wondered in these times of. . . .er conspiracy theories. . . . .
Stay safe all

turretslug 11th Apr 2020 10:39 am

Whilst tuning into The Buzzer the other night on 4625kHz (as above), I chanced upon a station calling itself Mystery 21 on 4700kHz, proclaiming "1.2kW into an inverted-V from Central Europe". Reception was pretty good, considering, on a trusty Eddystone 750.They even asked for reception reports. If you miss that merry evening/night-time cacophony of schlagermusik and Euro-rock that used to typify the 49m band, then this made a pleasant interlude.

linescan87 12th Apr 2020 10:20 am

I received that pirate here last night, quite strong but with deep fading. I sent them q reception report. The Buzzer is always strong here at night.

hannahs radios 22nd May 2020 3:30 pm

I tuned to the buzzer on Wednesday night it sounds a bit different, now with what sounds like a higher pitched noise then instantly into the buzz. I'm not sure if it's all from the same site or two overlapping transmissions. I've not heard it myself but apparently now it's also on 7.0 Mc/s I might have a look for it tonight.

andrewferguson 23rd May 2020 11:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1233167)
I know someone who still has the [horribly expensive to the taxpayer] software he developed in the 1980s to simulate the DUGA-3 'Russian Woodpecker''s multi-Megawatt pulses in order to test various HF receivers and data-transmission gear of the era.

Sounds like something that a museum would be interested in ... at least, I would be interested in seeing it!

I know you said that the hardware doesn't exist, but even seeing the code would be neat. And emulation is making leaps and bounds these days...

ChristianFletcher 25th May 2020 2:07 pm

You have peaked my interest I haven’t heard about the Buzzer ?

g4aaw pete 25th May 2020 2:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannahs radios (Post 1250609)
I tuned to the buzzer on Wednesday night it sounds a bit different, now with what sounds like a higher pitched noise then instantly into the buzz. I'm not sure if it's all from the same site or two overlapping transmissions. I've not heard it myself but apparently now it's also on 7.0 Mc/s I might have a look for it tonight.

Strictly speaking, we're not allowed to monitor it. It has got a transmission fault at the moment though - so I'm told.

Graham G3ZVT 25th May 2020 3:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianFletcher (Post 1251944)
You have peaked my interest I haven’t heard about the Buzzer ?

If you haven't got a suitable receiver, tune this "virtual" one to 4625
http://websdr.ru/

There is a signal that fills the latter part of the gap between each buzz, at first I through it was an AGC recovery artifact. The "ghost" signal is about an S point down on the main at its strongest, but it has much more QSB suggesting it is eliminating from a separate location.

ChristianFletcher 25th May 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks Rambo.

I think I do recognise that now. But I didn’t know it had name. Thanks for the link regards Chris

Ed_Dinning 25th May 2020 8:18 pm

Hi Folks, any idea of what the mod is and what is being sent ?

turretslug 26th May 2020 11:36 am

Unfortunately, Wikipedia's entry on "UVB-76" seems as conjectural and anecdotal as anything else out there, but there's a few points of interest to digest. I had heard a suggestion that the modulation had been chosen to make it as off-putting as possible for human beings to monitor for any length of time!