UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   GEC BT302 cabinet restoration (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11022)

chipp1968 3rd Sep 2006 8:55 pm

GEC BT302 cabinet restoration

2 Attachment(s)
Have a tatty GEC set I have just acquired; wanting to sort this one out cosmetically at first.

chipp1968 3rd Sep 2006 11:51 pm

Re: GEC 1959 /60 tv

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of the inside of mine

Steve_P 4th Sep 2006 1:38 pm

This set came in a number of versions, all the same inside, but with slightly different casings. Doors, Legs, etc. Don't worry about this as the set inside will be the same.

Cheers,

Steve P

Zelandeth 4th Sep 2006 10:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Why that looks strangely familiar...if somewhat less mucky and spider infested than mine!

The BT302 is exactly the same set as my BT304 electrically, minus the tambour doors of mine.

Interesting that yours too appears to have had its power cord amputated at some point!

I'll be watching your progress on this with interest, probably to refer back to when I attempt to rectify the mess that my poor BT304's in. My rear panel though mostly intact, is rather tatty too I'm afraid.

PS. Where's the power switch?

chipp1968 4th Sep 2006 11:07 pm

Very nice :)
I quite like these sets; not sure why as I mostly like much earlier TVs but something about late 50s early 60s I like and this set says it all.

The tube also looks much rounder than normal though that may be an illusion.
Mine's very dirty but hope it will clean up OK, cabinet needs re-gluing in places, too.
I will probably have to repair the back, unfortunately some of it is missing.

I also like the fact that these sets are not very deep; was the short necked tube just a fad?
Seems like a good idea to me.

Zelandeth 5th Sep 2006 9:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thankfully aside from a tiny bit next to one of the screw holes, the back of mine's intact...if extremely filthy. I've attached a photo in case you need to see detail of any of the parts missing from your panel.

It does seem to have a rather round tube, doesn't it? I imagine the curved profile of the set might increase that impression.

chipp1968 5th Sep 2006 11:46 pm

Thanks, that may be handy. I think the on-off switch is the left-hand inner knob; it is on mine as it clicks on and off

chipp1968 9th Sep 2006 5:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Progress on GEC today.
Cleaned very dirty chassis, see pic.

Came up OK; no obvious horrors visible.
Couple of loose wires one of which I know goes to dropper.
The cabinet has been cleaned and re-glued in 3 places where the joints were loose.
I find expanding glue invaluable for quick repairs, although its very messy stuff, it sticks very well.
You have to make sure you have it all where you want it. It also expands and foams up so will glue badly joining surfaces.

Next job is to T-Cut the polish, which is very scratched lightly all over - hope it will polish out.

There are a few dents which will have to be coloured in, and there is a split in the grille cloth which I think will invisibly-mend as it's over a solid backing. :)

chipp1968 10th Sep 2006 6:10 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Update despite hangover & feeling queasy all day :beer: :censored: :(.
I have finished the cabinet and it's polished up mirror-like, despite the myriad of scratches, chips and dents.
Touched up some areas with melamine lacquer first as well.
You can't beat the look of a TV when the implosion screen has been thoroughly cleaned.
I'm VERY fussy about fingermarks and bits inside.

Everything's back together now awaiting the back repair which won't be easy unless anyone has a spare.
Actually all I need really is the very top bit which is separate and held on with split clips; otherwise I will probably use fibreglass, though it won't be pretty and there is a bit missing.

Nickthedentist 10th Sep 2006 6:16 pm

Incredible work!

What did you polish it with?

Nick.

chipp1968 10th Sep 2006 6:22 pm

I used T-Cut to clean the finish, take off dirt, paint, etc.

This also will polish out fine scratches; this leaves it looking a little smeary, so I lightly beeswaxed it , you only need a tiny amount of wax.

Amazing how, after that it just comes up, it has that high lacquer fashionable in the late 50s with mirror finish.

It's still very scratched, but it's only in the polish, not through to the veneer and looks fine.
Difficult to photograph it, really.

JoshWard 11th Sep 2006 5:49 pm

I presume you wait for the beeswax to dry and then buff it up?! I use tons of the stuff... Josh.

Nickthedentist 11th Sep 2006 5:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshWard (Post 77968)
I presume you wait for the beeswax to dry and then buff it up?! I use tons of the stuff... Josh.

Usually a little is best, maybe repeated after a day or two.

chipp1968 12th Sep 2006 8:46 am

Nice to have a perfect one, I really like the looks of this set i think its a good example of the later sets plus its good size picture area with a very shallow cabinet so it doesnt stick out into the room if put against a wall, earlier sets are nearer 3 times the depth incliding the tube protection and this one only has a dimple on the back to do that job. Saying that if i was designing the cabinet i wouldof given it a couple more inches and a flat panal at the back