UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Freezer spray (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164937)

Welsh Anorak 19th Mar 2020 11:34 am

Freezer spray

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes you need freezer spray to help locate a thermally intermittent component. However it's pretty pricey, especially if you don't use it often. However - Poop Freeze to the rescue! It's available in B&M and similar discount shops for £1.99 or cheaper and, as far as I can tell, is the same and doesn't leave a residue.
It's meant to freeze your dog's poo, in case you're interested, though maybe that's too much information!

ajgriff 19th Mar 2020 1:53 pm

Re: Freezer spray

Great tip and truly multi-functional for the dog owners amongst us. Thank you.

Alan

Radio Wrangler 19th Mar 2020 2:41 pm

Well, someone with a freezer spray canning business must have been really trying hard to find new market opportunities...

The mind boggles. Perhaps somewhere there will be "The museum of preserved dog muck" I imagine the entrance fee won't be too expensive.

B&Q, screwfix, Toolstation etc. sell high capacity cans of freezer spray intended for freezing pipes so that sections can be isolated to allow a bit of quick plumbing work before things thaw.

David

Edit: Just seen Steve's reply. I go in for slightly larger pets, and use a shovel. More ecologically sound than aerosols...

ITAM805 19th Mar 2020 3:28 pm

Great tip thanks Glyn

Skywave 19th Mar 2020 3:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak (Post 1226727)
'Poop Freeze' to the rescue! It's available in B&M and similar discount shops for £1.99 or cheaper. It's meant to freeze your dog's poo.

At that price, I reckon the manufacturers are aiming at the bottom of the market! ;D

michamoo 19th Mar 2020 4:06 pm

The type for freezing pipes was recently being sold at a whopping £19.00 at my local plumbers merchants!

greg_simons 19th Mar 2020 4:07 pm

Cheers glyn
I'll get a can next shop, bonnie the boxer will approve!.
Greg.

Techman 19th Mar 2020 4:32 pm

Find a fisherman who's given up the sport!

I just happened to be at an ex-fisherman's house a few years ago and he had a few cans of bait freezer and insisted on giving me three cans that he no longer had need of - perfect, but you can't fit a nozzle extension to these cans.

Radio Wrangler 19th Mar 2020 4:44 pm

You might find the spray-heads of those cans interchangeable with ones that do take a straw.

David

Bazz4CQJ 19th Mar 2020 7:47 pm

Any idea what the gas is ??? Google reveals it is CFC free, but no more. It has to be a liquid at room temperature and within the pressure limitations of a thin aluminium aerosol can.

B

Radio Wrangler 19th Mar 2020 9:57 pm

Someone found it to be highly inflammable. I saw some footage of it acting like a flamethrower, I think it was on youtube.

David

ajgriff 19th Mar 2020 10:10 pm

Many non-food and non-medical aerosols use propane or butane as the propellant so flame throwing capabilities are no surprise.

Alan

Michael Maurice 19th Mar 2020 11:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1226787)
The mind boggles. Perhaps somewhere there will be "The museum of preserved dog muck" I imagine the entrance fee won't be too expensive.

But the exit fee might. I'd better stop there.

HamishBoxer 20th Mar 2020 9:10 am

Easier to pick up if solid after your pet,that is why.I am sure it will work just as well on components too.

Ian - G4JQT 20th Mar 2020 9:36 am

Could the spray designed for electrical component chilling use a different formula? Maybe a formula that doesn't leave any conducting film behind, or is somehow less likely to attract moisture as it chills?

Not really an issue if you just need it to stiffen up dog turds!

Nickthedentist 20th Mar 2020 10:28 am

I note that CPC are discontinuing the formulation we're used to, and going over to something more environmentally friendly, at a higher price. So when I last bought some a few weeks ago, paradoxically, it was cheaper to buy Ambersil's old formula, rather than cheap and cheerful ProPower, which was formulated using the new one.

Nick.

ajgriff 20th Mar 2020 10:38 am

There really isn't anything complicated about these sprays and no magic ingredients are needed. Purified butane (cheap to produce) will work as well as anything and won't leave a residue. They all rely on the temperature change that takes place when a pressurised or liquefied gas is released from that pressure as described by 'the ideal gas law', sometimes called the 'general gas equation'. Messrs Boyle, Charles and Avogadro did the hard work. The effect is readily demonstrated by releasing air from a car tyre whereupon the resulting stream of air feels cold. Physics lesson over.

Alan

Guest 20th Mar 2020 2:50 pm

Another use for butane is de-greasing and clearing out blind holes (dents to be pedantic) simply shove a lighter refill into it.

FrankB 22nd Mar 2020 9:19 am

Just do like I do. Get a can of air duster and turn it upside down. instant freeze. About 3.00 USD here, VS about 7.00 for freeze.
Exact same stuff here. Difference is the length of the tube inside the can. Short tube for duster, but when can is inverted, comes out freeze. That info was given to me by a mfg. rep years back.

AC/HL 22nd Mar 2020 2:23 pm

Was available at Poundland, probably still is.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=126222