UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Fluke 79 DMM (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195679)

Outrun_uk 3rd Nov 2022 4:45 pm

Fluke 79 DMM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

The Fluke 79 from user Lighting arrived earlier today - many thanks!

This meter had an episode with a microwave oven magnetron so I wasn’t holding a great deal of hope for it but I do like a challenge…

As it turned out it only required 3 components to get it working - definitely a testament to the build quality and ruggedness of Fluke gear. Short circuit bridge rectifier, open circuit input resistor (note these need to be replaced with the correct fusible flameproof type) and the 1A input fuse.

Checked on a calibration machine and all well within specifications.

Cheers,

Kev

barrymagrec 3rd Nov 2022 8:54 pm

Re: Fluke 79 DMM

Good work - I hate to think how many faulty meters get junked for the lack of a little investigation.

Uncle Bulgaria 4th Nov 2022 12:18 am

Great job - well done! Satisfying, too.

McMurdo 4th Nov 2022 9:50 am

Quote:

an episode with a microwave oven magnetron
Hopefully the person holding the probes is still with us.

I did a 79 a few years back that an electrician had used to try and measure the output from an insectocutor, same result.

Peter.N. 4th Nov 2022 12:23 pm

My Fluke 11, my mainstay for 30 or 40 years has just packed up and the LCD screen is disintegrating so I'm looking for a secondhand one now. I found mine almost indestructible
its measured the resistance of the mains on a number of occasions and it just shouts at you and goes on working. Having been long retired I will not use it much but its indestructability still appeals to me.

Peter

audiomm 4th Nov 2022 9:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter.N. (Post 1511104)
My Fluke 11, my mainstay for 30 or 40 years has just packed up and the LCD screen is disintegrating so I'm looking for a secondhand one now. I found mine almost indestructible
iPeter

I have two Fluke 12's - one I use constantly,which had a display 'bleed' due to direct sunlight overcooking it. I sourced a new display on e-bay (made in China ) and they are exactly the same as the original. Just do a search on "Fluke 11/12 display" . Lots of options available. P/N is 855226 for the display.
Cheers

Mike

linescan87 4th Nov 2022 10:01 pm

I'm glad to see that this meter went to a good home, well done on getting it going. I have quite a few Flukes here and there always the first DMMs I reach for. Made to last.

Peter.N. 5th Nov 2022 11:20 am

Thanks for that but I have just bought a Fluke 25 for not to much money, I'm amazed that the displays are still available.

Peter

lightning 5th Nov 2022 3:22 pm

So pleased you gave it a new lease of life.

That meter was my faithful companion for twenty years and probably 10,000 service calls.

May it last another 20 years ! The display was still good on it.

ex 2 Base 6th Nov 2022 12:01 pm

Well done Kev, good to hear that the meter has been revived. Ted