UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Stripping glossy style lacquer (2k / poly?) - success !! (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195207)

alfatangowhisky 16th Oct 2022 6:18 pm

Stripping glossy style lacquer (2k / poly?) - success !!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all

During the restoration of a Kolster Brandes KV002 (VC2 chassis based) dual standard TV set, I decided to tidy up the cabinet (scratches / dents / missing veneer) and set about trying various chemical stripping agents for the thick high-gloss lacquer.

This stuff appears to be some kind of 2-pack polyester as the smell when sanded reminds me of the time when as a student I made an art installation from 60s fibreglass shop-floor mannequins and when sawed up they gave this same distinctive smell. Having read that this coating is pretty much impossible to remove with standard (i.e. commercially available) chemicals such as acetone, thinners (toluene/xylene), etc etc I was resigned to either doing an over-coat job (as I had done on another KB set) or lots of sanding.

However, when I was at Toolstation for unrelated supplies I thought I would check out what sort of paint strippers they offered and was recommended 'Paint Panther' by the sales assistant. It was quite expensive but he said it was highly recommended and 'takes off almost anything'. We checked the tin for any mention of polyester and it was not listed but on his word I paid the money and took it home.

This is a gel-like formulation similar to many and had a PVC solvent type odour (that will be the MEK then). I applied a good slathering to the top of the woodwork (having isolated just the shell, of course) and left it overnight.

The next day I had a pleasant surprise, and as you can see the polyester has bubbled up and turned into 'platelets' which were easily skimmed off using a scraper, leaving the bare wood underneath.

So, not so rinky-dink Paint Panther comes up trumps!

stevehertz 16th Oct 2022 6:23 pm

Re: Stripping glossy style lacquer (2k / poly?) - success !!

That's useful to know given that most paint strippers have been dumbed down in recent years for safety reasons. Which begs the question, how does Paint Panther work so well if it doesn't contain all those (very useful) dangerous chemicals?

Kentode 16th Oct 2022 6:26 pm

At last! That's exactly what original Nitromors used to do, then the formula was made safer, ie not as good.

Think I'll get some before it gets "improved". Thanks.

G6Tanuki 16th Oct 2022 6:29 pm

That is good to hear about,, I have a steel case from a 1960s radio that needs stripping and I have been worrying about what will do the job now that the classic strippers' chemistry is no longer available to normal people.

Bazz4CQJ 16th Oct 2022 6:49 pm

Google finds the SDS; it's actually not got much MEK in it (5-10%). It's got something called 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol in it, for which the exposure limits are definitely on the low side, so plenty of fresh air advisable.

B

PJL 16th Oct 2022 8:11 pm

Using a scraper would be the chemical and sticky mess free alternative. Scrapers are remarkably easy to use on flat surface like a TV cabinet and do not damage wood/veneer.

Bazz4CQJ 16th Oct 2022 9:24 pm

I find that the Wickes' paint and varnish remover (another gloopy paste) seems to work on many coatings; not very fast, but seems to be a very safe product.

B

stevehertz 17th Oct 2022 8:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJL (Post 1506432)
Using a scraper would be the chemical and sticky mess free alternative. Scrapers are remarkably easy to use on flat surface like a TV cabinet and do not damage wood/veneer.

Doesn't work well on all finishes, I've been there! Also, a Skarsten scraper can damage the wood if not used properly, there is a bit of a knack to it.

David G4EBT 17th Oct 2022 9:14 am

Skarsten scrapers shouldn’t go anywhere near a radio cabinet - they’re for stripping paint.

The only scrapers that are safe to use are cabinet scrapers. EG:

https://www.axminstertools.com/verit...8&glCountry=GB

Cheaper ones are available singly from other sources.

Lots of YouTube videos on the correct use of scrapers in cabinet-making and how to keep them sharp.

PaulR 22nd Oct 2022 6:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJL (Post 1506432)

What about using them on a bowed surface? I have a McMichael 365 which needs to be refinished. I did the lid a couple of years ago using chemicals which worked but were very messy. I have never done the main body as the thought of the mess puts me off. Would a scraper be safe on this?

I remember the woodwork teacher at school showing us how to use a scraper but that was 50 years ago!

Al (astral highway) 27th Oct 2022 7:24 am

That’s a good result !!